V4 Ground Notch, what the heck is it?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can someone smarter than me with the Dues explain ground notch with V4 and if you loose any depth? I tried it like V mentioned with the bar fully black all areas selected, and really didn't notice a difference or maybe it was just me running the machine super hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question I haven't tried it yet so getting on post for any answers.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Andy, you do not lose depth. He recommended setting ground notch such that the whole bar is black. It reduces some ground feedback noise, supposedly without loss in depth. I don't really believe in free lunches but have not seen any ill effects. As usual, YMMV.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground notch gets rid of falsing on hot rocks. It also gets rid of falsing when you bump your coil against the ground or a stick.

At least that's what I've noticed about it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground notch gets rid of falsing on hot rocks. It also gets rid of falsing when you bump your coil against the ground or a stick.

At least that's what I've noticed about it.

What range do you set it? All dark, partial, none?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What range do you set it? All dark, partial, none?
I've had it at 85 ground notch (5 clicks of the minus button) with great success, but I recently read to black it all the way out. I'll try that once the snow melts.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm heading to the silver field in a few I'll test blacking out the whole bar as compared to just blacking half and a quarter [emoji846]

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So forgot to set the ground notch today lol. It's hard when you know your settings work lol. So pulled these amazing finds this weekend also found a nice colonial buckle. The musket ball was pretty deep about 11 inches and the seated quarter was also deep 11-13 inches gave a great signal of around 93 Running my "deep-2" program.
Frequency - 4Khz
Tx - 3
Silencer - -1
Disc - 4.5
Notch - 0
Sens - 98
Full tones
GB - tracking

I find 4Khz give me a good spread on the VDI's of American coins and separate pull tabs much better then 8Khz. In this area where pull tabs are it means people where hanging out and had a chance to drop some silver.

IMG_1428.JPG

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice saves, Austin! We got a foot of snow today, so it'll be a while longer until I can get out. My 9" HF Coil will arrive Wednesday, so I'm in no big hurry.

I've been reading some good things about the new coil. One guy I talked to swears that he can hit a quarter ON-EDGE at 12" with it, which actually makes sense, because the higher frequencies are excellent for smaller stuff. And the edge of a coin definitely would qualify as smaller stuff. As for the 12", we shall certainly see. If so, I would assume these new coils are going to be flying off the shelves.

I'll be reporting my findings shortly.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So forgot to set the ground notch today lol. It's hard when you know your settings work lol. So pulled these amazing finds this weekend also found a nice colonial buckle. The musket ball was pretty deep about 11 inches and the seated quarter was also deep 11-13 inches gave a great signal of around 93 Running my "deep-2" program.
Frequency - 4Khz
Tx - 3
Silencer - -1
Disc - 4.5
Notch - 0
Sens - 98
Full tones
GB - tracking

I find 4Khz give me a good spread on the VDI's of American coins and separate pull tabs much better then 8Khz. In this area where pull tabs are it means people where hanging out and had a chance to drop some silver.

View attachment 1434343

Excellent finds. Would love to snag a "Seated" of any denomination.

You did not post your reactivity (Rx) setting. Assuming you were going for max depth, I would guess you had Rx = 1? Tx (power) - 3 is locked in for 4 khz, so that is a given. 4khz does give a great VDI/TID #'s and is the reason I wish XP had used that frequency vice 18khz as the reference for ID normalization.

Last edited:
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about that I knew I was forgetting a setting, reactivity was 2.5 as targets are not super deep and there is some iron the soil so faster reactivity is needed to pull the silver from around the iron.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that I knew I was forgetting a setting, reactivity was 2.5 as targets are not super deep and there is some iron the soil so faster reactivity is needed to pull the silver from around the iron.

Ah, you threw me off by naming it Deep 2. You lose some depth due to the reactivity but the low freq compensates somewhat. All in all, a good balanced program that makes the right tradeoffs and you can't argue with the results. Good job, Austin.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly why the Dues is such a good machine, being able to customize on the fly settings such as reactivity and TX power all make a difference in the way the machines sounds and acts. In my "Deep 2" program depending on target depth I will change reactivity from 1-2.5 never more than 2.5 though. I find the 8Khz give the best VDI seperation of silver from copper pennies. This field the pull tabs are a VDI of 48 and wheaties 76-77 silver is 83 and above, If I went with lets say 12Khz much less seperation of VDI's and I would be digging more modern clad and wheaties which is fun and all but when there is silver around thats my game! Just pulled a seated quarter today from the GF's front yard :) having a super start to the year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread