Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see a comparison between the two new HF coils on how they perform with on edge coins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have noticed no advantage of edge detection....in air tests or the field but its possible I just have not come across anything on edge yet in the field

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using a program, would you change anything in it if going from a lf to a hf coil?
Yeah, frequency to 28 kHz is great for relics....thays really the only change I make immediately before starting

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested the 9 inch round HF coil on coins/rings on edge, it slams them hard. 54 kHz

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Charles. Anybody with an HF elliptical do any testing on coins on edge?

skateteacher

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you're mainly a coin shooter/jewelry hunter, which HF coil do you get? Where I'm at on the west coast we don't have loads of history type sites to hunt so I've never really gotten bit by the relic bug. I have the 11" LF and want to complete my deus with another coil. As a beach hunter in the dry, would an HF coil be better than a LF coil? On my beaches it's all about finding the rings and chains other detectors have passed over which is why I'm looking at one of the HF coils.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Charles. Anybody with an HF elliptical do any testing on coins on edge?

Smokey has the elliptical, and though referenced buttons, there is no reason that the elliptical should not hit as hard or harder on edge on coins than the round at a reasonable depth (e.g. 4 to 6 inches). However, the higher maximum frequency may affect the max depth that the elliptical coil can detect targets in general (vs. the round), edge on or otherwise. Too many variables to consider to get a definitive answer. I would say that since you are mainly hunting iron infested parks and schools, your best bet would be the elliptical for separation and since you are not going for super deep targets.

Last edited:

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly hunt coins in iron infested areas and parks/schools.

I’m sorry, I should have explained myself better.

I hunt either iron infested areas (homesteads) or parks/schools (modern trash).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred57, I took the elliptical running 28.8 khz and pulled some buttons out of a total nail patch. I like the 28.8.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vferrari, Best of luck to you in hunting ole' Virgini. We Georgia boys wish we could find what yhall' are still able to find up there in Virginia. God's Speed to you and we'll be waiting for some posted pic's of some nice CW Historical saves.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an 11 inch lf and an eliptical hf coil. I seem to have coin tones down as far as clad is concerned and the 11 inch coil. I cherry picked a small park near the town court house. 35 quarters, 42 dimes, 17 nickels, a small 12kt plated ring, and only about 10 junk holes. This park park is small, about 75 by 100 feet. The maintenence guy said i would not find much as it has been gone over a couple of times by other mders. How does this happen. I am going back with the hf coil to play before the weather turns. Oh, i used the sifter with disc of 5.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This decision is way more agonizing to me than it needs to be.

Elliptical or Round, 2 weeks now and I still haven't bought one because I can't decide. :help:

I think the main thing is on the videos I see better iron target separation at 81khz compared to 50khz, but I've never used one so I don't know if it's true. My best spots are heavy iron infested nails and rusted iron.

I was set on the elliptical coil then I saw calabash digger's video and it seemed to show the round with better separation.

Idk, I might buy just whatever my local relic shop has in stock.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hf round coil better general all around coil imo , whos gonna be relic hunting or coin shooting at such a high freq? You can try it but gum wrappers will hit so hard it will knock your socks off ! lol

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the elliptical now....I may sell it and get the round......the main advantage of the elliptical would be for prospecting small nuggets, the higher frequency will pick them up better and or see smaller nuggets. The reason I originally bought the elliptical is I thought it would separate better....it does not (compared to my LF 9" round)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY HF elliptical does best in nail patches.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you're mainly a coin shooter/jewelry hunter, which HF coil do you get? Where I'm at on the west coast we don't have loads of history type sites to hunt so I've never really gotten bit by the relic bug. I have the 11" LF and want to complete my deus with another coil. As a beach hunter in the dry, would an HF coil be better than a LF coil? On my beaches it's all about finding the rings and chains other detectors have passed over which is why I'm looking at one of the HF coils.

80 kHz is going to be too much for the dry sand, the 9 inch round HF at 54 kHz already smacks gold this small, very small gold chains and gold stud earrings. At 80 kHz you are going to hit every little speck of foil.

dg2.jpg

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been running an HF elliptical @ 28 kHz for general hunting often in trashy local parks. I do like that it gets in tight places and helps to separate between multiple targets in very close proximity to one another - not talking the same hole but next to each other. Still hoping to get out and do some nugget hunting with it, but hasnt really happened yet. Figured I'd use it any chance I could to help figure it out though. Got a few programs set up in order with the same settings but different frequencies, includiong a GF program. I do find it helpful switching between them to better help understand a target.

I'll add that even at 28, super small foil targets are ringing in clear and usually come up in a mid 50s id.

All this talk and do I still want a round HF? Yes. I debated for a while before I bought the elliptical and bet that if I bought the round first, now Id be wanting an elliptical.

Anyway... xmas is near. Happy hunting to all, and to all a good place. :)

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i got the elliptical and felt it was like a laser beam. it is so narrow and fast that i had to go creepy slow in heavy iron and trash. i could pass a target and not hear it for a bit and then realize i had passed one and had to go back and it was hard to find it again. I got the round HF and like it better but this was just me so tread lightly as i haven'd had much time on either one. GL & HH

This decision is way more agonizing to me than it needs to be.

Elliptical or Round, 2 weeks now and I still haven't bought one because I can't decide. :help:

I think the main thing is on the videos I see better iron target separation at 81khz compared to 50khz, but I've never used one so I don't know if it's true. My best spots are heavy iron infested nails and rusted iron.

I was set on the elliptical coil then I saw calabash digger's video and it seemed to show the round with better separation.

Idk, I might buy just whatever my local relic shop has in stock.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the HF Elliptical Coil and use it at my SoCal beaches and it worked so well that I have to add the 9" round HF coil too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread