Open Discussion of Discrimination, Notch, and Silencer Filtering and Impact on Depth

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open discussion of Discrimination, Notch, and Silencer filtering and impact on depth. Says it all.

I have always argued that Disc is a signal processing filter that will attempt to detect and filter out ferrous signals before the audio target ID is processed by the Deus and that Notch is simply an audio mask applied after the audio target ID is determined (once it passes through the discrimination filter and silencer filter (if applicable)). To keep things relatively simple lets not confuse the issue by discussing the ver 2 signal processing filters associated with the Deep program. Therfore, setting Disc to 10 is NOT the same as setting Notch to 10. Furthermore, unlike notch, Disc can adversely affect depth of desirable targets if set much above 15 and Andy states that XP says for the horseshoe ferrous/nonferrous graphic to be stable/reliable you have to apply at least Disc level of 5.

Discuss.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally try to keep my disc at 5 or below. Usually reactivity around 2 if possible and have been experimenting with silencer at 1 or 2. I do notice a depth difference from silencer going from 1 to 2. The sound definitely is louder at 1 than at 2 but sometimes while in a iron infested site setting it at 2 helps me to identify a signal better, it's much cleaner but weaker. I use ground notch and until I got the HF coils I used notch at 98-99 but now that could be a good signal especially at the highest frequency on each coil. I haven't worked with either of the HF coils very much yet so I have a way to go on learning them. Most of the time when I first got the Deus i'd try to run as open as possible wanting to get the most depth out of it but now have learned that I have to quiet it down so that it's not so chatty so that I can hear the quieter sounds from it. The chattiness just obscures those quieter sounds.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
A good topic. I just wish that XP would issue an in depth treatise explaining the difference between Disc and Notch. If they already have, PLEASE let me know about it :icon_thumleft:

Silencer is the one setting I haven't really played with. All my programs have it set at "0" . I actually set up an adjacent program this weekend with it set to "3" but forgot to use it when over a target to see the difference. Along the same lines that Gene was saying about some Silencer helping him find the goods, I have definitely noticed that with Disc. I used to run wide open, but found I would miss stuff due to all the clamor. I went over the same spot with a bit of Disc ("8"), and was surprised to hear good targets jump out. I will sometimes use a negative Disc in clean areas when looking for deep goodies. Everything seems to hit a bit harder, including iron. I do like the sound of the iron when I use a negative Disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions