XP ORX on the way

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You need to wait a month or so to detect. You may come home with a little gold but you may come home with a couple of toes missing. :laughing7:

Lol. I wear 5mm chest waders with insulated boots. I can hunt in the ice cold water all day and stay warm. If the sun is shining my upper body gets quite warm. Last yr in May I detected in a t-shirt with chest waders. Air temp was 20c but water still had ice burgs floating. This summer I’m wanting to try out a wet suit.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 100 degrees here (Arizona) today. I have to get out before 6:00 am and only hunt until about 10:00.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I could not get my ears used to the Equinox after months of trying. I bought a XP Deus and after 3 hours of use, put my Equinox up for sale. I really enjoy the Deus. I liked the Equinox too, but the tones just didn’t work.

Сергей

May 8, 2020
Russia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Orx was in Miami yesterday,..in Toronto this morning. I have a question for Xp users. Where I live I detect in Ice cold water In spring and fall with ice still on the lake. With the XP’s battery being in the lower shaft, will this temp of water effect the battery’s life or cause damage to it? Here’s a hunt yesterday. Managed a tiny 10k 1.1gram View attachment 1832054 View attachment 1832055 View attachment 1832056
if you don’t freeze much, then nothing will happen to her, and is the coil designed for water?

Сергей

May 8, 2020
Russia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, even if the coil freezes, there’s nothing with it

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if the battery is submerged in ice water for several hrs, it’s fine??

LiIon batteries don’t like to be charged under cold conditions (they can get damaged) but they can be satisfactorily operated at those temps. Since ice water can’t technically get colder than about 0C (maybe a few degrees lower depending on whether there is salt or other impurities in the water, I would be more concerned about the air temp but it seems that is not an issue for you. XP states in the Deus and ORX manuals the charging temp limits as 0C to 35C and operating limits of -5C to 40C. Note also if you are operating the coil continuously submerged, you need an antenna kit to get the wireless coil signal transmitted to the control box properly because wireless RF is effectively blocked by any appreciable water depth of greater than a couple inches.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VFerrari- how would you set up the ORX to run at a 1700's plantation home that is full of large iron, nails and trash to pull out the targets from under/between the iron? The soil itself is not highly minerlized

Sorry, missed this one.

You should experiment with both the coin and gold modes. I would start with coins fast because it is more similar to what you are used to (but a lot faster recovery). Use default discrimination and recovery speed. Try lower freqs for higher conductors (eg 14 kHz on the HF coil) and higher freqs (25 - 28 kHz) for mid conductive relics (small brass, lead, gold). Also, if you think shallow keepers hiding amongst the iron, turn sensitivity down from the default of 90 down to 75 or 80 and you might get some shallow keepers to pop out of the Iron falsing muck because the lower sensitivity keeps the deep/big iron from overloading the coil. You obviously lose depth, but you are not looking for deep targets but shallow masked targets that have been missed by the detectors with slower recovery speeds.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I’ll try these out the next time I’m at that homesite

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
LiIon batteries don’t like to be charged under those conditions (they can get damaged) but they can be satisfactorily operated at those temps. Since ice water can’t technically get colder than about 0C (maybe a few degrees lower depending on whether there is salt or other impurities in the water, I would be more concerned about the air temp but it seems that is not an issue for you. XP states in the Deus and ORX manuals the charging temp limits as 0C to 35C and operating limits of -5C to 40C. Note also if you are operating the coil continuously submerged, you need an antenna kit to get the wireless coil signal transmitted to the control box properly because wireless RF is effectively blocked by any appreciable water depth of greater than a couple inches.

So as long as I’m not charging the battery when it’s cold I should be ok hunting in cold water. I also ordered the water kit when I purchased the machine so I’ll be good to go. Thanks for your help!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Vferrari: Do you know if the volume control adapter that comes with the Xp water kit,..is it also water proof?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari: Do you know if the volume control adapter that comes with the Xp water kit,..is it also water proof?

It can probably survive a couple of fresh water dunkings (but probably not constant submersion or salt water exposure), but I would just use the wireless phones if you are just wading. The WS phones puck is claimed by XP to be "shower proof".

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It can probably survive a couple of fresh water dunkings (but probably not constant submersion or salt water exposure), but I would just use the wireless phones if you are just wading. The WS phones puck is claimed by XP to be "shower proof".

Great thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread