pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I ran the 11" till I put on the 9" HF coil. The 11" came with the machine and I found it pretty good over all. In boost mode you will eat up the battery life a tad more. Targets will ring up a lot louder and really sound different.
Only have mine on zero disc. 90-95 sens. fast mode setting, 3 tone. Hunt only field, bush, pasture. I used the 11" on a site where i think I have gotten 24+ tokens and a 18379 shilling, and a 1816 Geo.silver and a few mil.buttons.
The ground is heavy clay hay field, and in those settings a thin half penny on a slight edge 10" was a challenge.
It separates well enough and will be pretty good in the heavy iron if you slow down and listen.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran the 11" till I put on the 9" HF coil. The 11" came with the machine and I found it pretty good over all. In boost mode you will eat up the battery life a tad more. Targets will ring up a lot louder and really sound different.
Only have mine on zero disc. 90-95 sens. fast mode setting, 3 tone. Hunt only field, bush, pasture. I used the 11" on a site where i think I have gotten 24+ tokens and a 18379 shilling, and a 1816 Geo.silver and a few mil.buttons.
The ground is heavy clay hay field, and in those settings a thin half penny on a slight edge 10" was a challenge.
It separates well enough and will be pretty good in the heavy iron if you slow down and listen.
They say you should get 6 hours in boost from a fully charged coil. I normally hunt less than that. I usually run around 5.0 Disc, 92-93 Sens, Pitch, Two Tone. If I'm hunting a hard pounded site without a lot of iron and the chance for deep targets, I will go -1.5 Disc.
Still wondering about the higher frequencies like 27.7 kHz. What advantages does that bring versus low frequencies? I normally hunt in 7.8 or 11.9 kHz.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. Back to YouTube videos :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. Back to YouTube videos :laughing7:

It's not a 24 hour help line that is monitored around the clock so expecting a bunch of replies in less than 24 hours is kind of unrealistic. Besides, everyone on the east coast has the same idea, getting a day of digging done during the 1-day winter heat wave .

Anyway, looks like you got boost mode answered. Regarding the higher frequencies, they primarily help with detecting mid conductors, gold coins, nickels, and brass/lead relics because the higher frequencies couple better with those metals, especially if the targets are smaller. The higher frequencies don't penetrate as deep as the low frequencies which bang on high conductors like silver bettet, that's why you can generally detect silver deeper than than similarly sized targets of less conductive metal. HTH.

Oh BTW, the Deus' iron volume feature keeps you from having to run 0 disc or lower. If you are afraid of not hearing it all and run 0 or negative disc, you should try iron volume and run disc at 6 to 10. Running with moderate disc has several advantages with basically no downsides: 1) disc doesn't just filter the iron it also helps to prevent ferrous down averaging of nearby non-ferrous targets 2) it enables the horseshoe display to run stable and provide accurate ferrous and non-ferrpus target indications and 3) use of iron volume enables you to hear ferrous targets, if desired,, while still enjoying the first two advantages of running with disc between 6 and 10. Also, there is no depth penalty associated with running low to moderate levels of disc (Disc <15). HTH

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, looks like you got boost mode answered. Regarding the higher frequencies, they primarily help with detecting mid conductors, gold coins, nickels, and brass/lead relics because the higher frequencies couple better with those metals, especially if the targets are smaller. The higher frequencies don't penetrate as deep as the low frequencies which bang on high conductors like silver bettet, that's why you can generally detect silver deeper than than similarly sized targets of less conductive metal. HTH.

Oh BTW, the Deus' iron volume feature keeps you from having to run 0 disc or lower. If you are afraid of not hearing it all and run 0 or negative disc, you should try iron volume and run disc at 6 to 10. Running with moderate disc has several advantages with basically no downsides: 1) disc doesn't just filter the iron it also helps to prevent ferrous down averaging of nearby non-ferrous targets 2) it enables the horseshoe display to run stable and provide accurate ferrous and non-ferrpus target indications and 3) use of iron volume enables you to hear ferrous targets, if desired,, while still enjoying the first two advantages of running with disc between 6 and 10. Also, there is no depth penalty associated with running low to moderate levels of disc (Disc <15). HTH
Thanks, That is the info I was looking for on the higher frequencies.
My new coil has not tasted dirt yet and it's hungry!!
I am going to test it first on a spot where I have recovered over 250 brass flat buttons, including a number of military. This ground is loaded with coal ash and iron, and the occupation layer is DEEP. I have hunted this site for 20 years, but they have just recently started plowing it, unmasking some stuff an bringing stuff closer to the surface. I have pulled quite a few large cents and IHPs, but not much in the way of silver. Should be an interesting test for both Boost mode and 27kHz,

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m just down here a couple hours away in NoVa and help Andy Sabisch with his Deus bootcamp classes, so if you ever want some free Deus field instruction, just let me know the IHP/Largie infested field I should meet you at. Lol! :occasion14::laughing7:

Have fun with that new coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m just down here a couple hours away in NoVa and help Andy Sabisch with his Deus bootcamp classes, so if you ever want some free Deus field instruction, just let me know the IHP/Largie infested field I should meet you at. Lol! :occasion14::laughing7:

Have fun with that new coil.
I'll be sure to let you know. I did get an 1827 Capped Bust dime out of this field and couple Barbers, but I'm convinced there is a trime or two and maybe a half dime because most of the stuff is mid 19th C.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like an awesome site and quite challenging after how much you’ve already hit it. Ever try removing the top 6” or so over a square yard or so area, and then detecting over the excavated ground? Might pick out a few more keepers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a 24 hour help line that is monitored around the clock so expecting a bunch of replies in less than 24 hours is kind of unrealistic. Besides, everyone on the east coast has the same idea, getting a day of digging done during the 1-day winter heat wave .

I realize this thread is getting dusty and forgotten (by me).
Interesting info on the iron volume. So if one hunts with disc set between 6-10 what would the iron volume be set at?
You mentioned the horseshoe display, where as I got use to the XY screen from early on, if I use it at all for a second reference. (Hard to just trust those ears)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this thread is getting dusty and forgotten (by me).
Interesting info on the iron volume. So if one hunts with disc set between 6-10 what would the iron volume be set at?
You mentioned the horseshoe display, where as I got use to the XY screen from early on, if I use it at all for a second reference. (Hard to just trust those ears)

pepperj - iron volume can be adjusted from 0 (in which case you will hear no iron low tone for any target that registers a target ID below the discrimination setting) to 3 in which case the volume of the iron tone is at a level that is consistent with any other non-discriminated target tone.

If you are using the XY screen, then the only real advantage of using disc plus iron volume, is that the discrimination will tend to keep adjacent iron targets from dragging down the non-ferrous target ID down into the ferrous range (called ferrous down averaging). Iron Volume does not work in full tones. HTH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj - iron volume can be adjusted from 0 (in which case you will hear no iron low tone for any target that registers a target ID below the discrimination setting) to 3 in which case the volume of the iron tone is at a level that is consistent with any other non-discriminated target tone.

If you are using the XY screen, then the only real advantage of using disc plus iron volume, is that the discrimination will tend to keep adjacent iron targets from dragging down the non-ferrous target ID down into the ferrous range (called ferrous down averaging). Iron Volume does not work in full tones. HTH

I really need to see what pitch or some of the other tones are about then. So much to learn in the first 1000 hrs of any machine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep learning and experimenting and documenting what works for you. There is no single set of settings that works for everyone's style of detecting and detecting objectives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread