Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Diving Equipment Help Needed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword.
    75 times
    Shipwrecks

Re: Diving Equipment Help Needed

Regular air is deadly at depths lower than 200'. You would need to breathe nitrox on the way down and about 175' or less, start breathing like a 10% mix of oxygen, and Helium or other inert gas such as argon, stay down for a precise time then breath nitrox on way up after you're about 175'(depending on mixture) then decompress for a certain amount of time at various depths first at the halfway point, then at 50'. then 30' then 20' etc, using higher enriched nitrox. This is not something you just get certified for and do. Also you could do it with an adjustable rebreather, but these start about $5000 for something that could do that. You would need to get your Open water cert, then you should get nitrox, you will need that, then Advanced diver which you dive deeper than 100' and learn about decompression, but just barely. You then need more advanced diving, Tri-mix, rebreather,hard hat and heli-ox diving, with years of dives under your belt. This stuff could kill you in seconds! I usually dont dive deeper than 150' and that is with a low nitrox mixture, and I usually push my limits and have to decompress for longer than I need to, to be safe, but I have single tanks that hold 160 cubic feet of air/nitrox for the back-up, and deco times. Not many people dive 300', because of the problems and dangers. Like these guys said, 225 feet and hours of hang at depth, breathing an enriched mixture to flush off the nitrogen, then move higher and higher, and still some of those guys get bent. Many die! Usually it is just a shoulder or elbow, but what if its in your brain? Get your open water diver, then dive a lot, at safe depths. Steve.

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword.
    75 times
    Shipwrecks

What groskidiver was talking about getting checked out for commercial deep diver is- there is a passageway in the brain, that would allow passage of a bubble, should you come up too fast, not deco enough, etc and it could kill you. How do you know you have that? You would have to get checked out by doing certain hi-tech check ups and tests. That is for folks who want to dive deep. if you were an oil rig diver, hard hat diver etc, you would have that done. I am sure some of the amateur tech divers have not had it done and often dive below 200', but they dont know either. I think it is found in something like 1 in 100 people, off the top of my head, it has been years since I heard of that. And it would only show up if you had it!

Oct 2006
    Houston Tx

Yes sir , there is also a condition that involves a or several microscopic holes in your heart. You will never no they are there until you get checked for it. (or get bent as a result of it , even then would you know why you took a hit ? NO )

Getting yourself checked out with a good DIVE Physical properly is not just smart , it's self preservation.

May 2005

Regardless of the above stay away from the deep dives, even if you check out OK, it is easy to get hurt at those depth.

Invest in a small ROV for the deep work.

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    182 times
    Shipwrecks

dreamsofgold is no longer with us. His last post was Oct. 2008. I guess he didn't take any of your advice!

us
    Dec 2008
    Delray Beach
    Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Being a NAUI Dive Instructor, I'd have to say that I'm really concerned that a novice who is without even the Open Water Certification, is talking about depths of 300 feet. Even after thousands of dives, I still reserve my adventures to no more than 100 foot dives. (Max) In most cases, and places to dive, you'll find plenty under Mother Ocean in depths of 40 to 60 feet.

My advice dear friend? Get the education, then the certification, follow it up with years of diving experience and then explore the possibilities of dives that exceed 130 feet.

Reef Dawg

us
    Oct 2008
    Otsego County, NY
    Tesoro Cibola, Minelab MXT

Please get certified. Sure, the lure of gold and shipwrecks is great, but if you DIE in the process, it's not worth it.

us
    Jul 2008
    Raymond, WA
    E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

If you took a certification course and reread your post you would realize how ignorant that post is. 300'? Give me a break. Ever thought what it'd be like hanging in the water at 125' for hours? Better have a heated suit to do that without becoming hypothermic.

There's tons of good suggestion being given here. Heed them or be dead. Sorry for being so blatant, but what you describe in your post is what a cert course is for, that's where you will learn the things you ask, and I am amazed at all the kindly suggestions to try to keep you alive. If I am not kind and that jars you into a different thought process, I have accomplished what I feel I needed to do to 'help' you. Jim
    If you think you can or if you think you can't...you're probably right!

de
    Mar 2008
    Germany
    ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    60 times

During your certification course you can ask your instructors everything you want to know. Getting certified doesn't automatically make you a good diver like getting your drivers license doesn't make you a good driver. I highly recommend taking continuing courses after getting first certified. As a scuba instructor I was teaching PADI and SSI programs for more than 10 years in different countries and oceans, I certified more than 1000 students and have more than 5200 dives under my belt. So I guess I've got some experience. But still I got into a couple of dangerous situations over the years. What I want to explain is: the crash course you want is not going to teach you enough to survive. The water is a potentially dangerous environment. Be safe and good luck.

us
    Sep 2006
    Pensacola, Fl
    Minelab Explorer XS
    3 times

Bro.....you've already heard it a dozen times but here it comes again....GET CERTIFIED! Even the most experienced divers get into trouble unexpectedly - most survive thanks to their training. Hopefully you would never hop in a plane with the intent of flying simply because you know that if you push the stick forward the nose goes down and if you pull it back it goes up - but diving without a certification is almost as foolish.

As a diver for over 20 years, I respect and welcome your desire to enter this realm. But please do yourself, and loved ones a favor and get the certification! I have had my fair share of close calls and I speak from the heart.

Best wishes,

Pcola

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    182 times
    Shipwrecks

No need to post here anymore. Dreamsofgold made that 300 ft. dive and he is no longer with us.
    doc-d likes this.

us
    Jun 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Whites/Minelab

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsofgold
    Hello everyone.. I need a crash corse education in diving and equipment .. I am going to be obtaining my dive cert in the soon future but at this point I am not even at the Ameture stage lol .. So, I need to learn about the pressures of different depths and what kind of equipment is needed for the various depths.. Any opinions on what type of equipment would be needed for a dive 300ft or less.. Any suggestions, information, opinions or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
    If you are really wanting to go to 300' be prepared to empty your bank account. By the time you get to this certification level you will have invested 20 to 30 thousand dollars US. This is training and equipment. These are numbers that were bounced around on another forum of tech. divers I visit. And I must concure that it is pretty accurate.

Butch

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    243 times

I would never go that deep.. 300 is death on a stick.

us
    Bonediver

Feb 2009
    Nokomis
    MineLab Xcalibur
    1 times

Goday !

Need help, eh ?

http://www.fantaseascuba.com/ ask for Jim.

If you need to ask, you need a course. Just remember that just like all the other comments, you can get bent at depth with mix. You will need ready access to a unbender, eh??

If you need a platform, crew, and equipment after speaking with Jim, call 941-488-2257.

To this point you have been give excellent advice, especially from the guys that have lived it.

Cheers,
    Joe

us
    Dec 2010

rec diving should be no deeper then 130' you talk of 300 fsw you are no were even ready for that kind of a dive. Better go to a commercial dive school for those depths. I have been down to 760 fsw in SAT for 15 days and it was no fun,hard work and hard on the body.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links