ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, I'm new to the forum, but I've been following it for a few years.

I'm looking for suggestions on magnetometers. Geotech is out of the budget for now. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ones from Aquascan? How well does the Fishers unit work?

Also does anyone have suggestions for pulling a sidescan and a mag at the same time???

I've got a Marine Sonic side scan if anyone in the Carolinas has a project where it might be helpfull let me know.

Thanks
NC Brad

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Brad, I have limited experience with the Fishers Proton 4 mag, it seemed like a nice piece of equipment, but I don't really have a lot of mag experience to compare it too. I can tell you that I love my Fishers Pulse 8X metal detector, and it appears that their mags are of the same quality.

Check out the R/V Deep Scan at www.alldeepblue.com - I think you will find their towing rig interesting. I believe they use it to tow an array of mags but it should work well for a mag / sonar combo I would think.

Good luck, someone with years of experience will hopefully come along and add more to this.

Jason

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
look into a "planet electronics" proton mag, there out of england, I have an older one that was owned by Steve Singer and its found me 3 wrecks so far, and alot of other stuff that was recycled into diving cash. I can find an engine block at about 40ft away.

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea how much $$$ they are?

Thanks,
Brad

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
I just recently got a mag from a company called Shark Marine out of Ontario. This thing is the chipper chicken but it seems to work okay. It was 4,500 new. Not a proton mag though. Im on my way to the Bahamas next week actually to test it out. Ill let you know how she runs.

I also have the JW Fisher 8x and I love it too. I got the towable 4 foot wide coil and it is actually a good little piece of equipment if your working on sand.
I also dont have any experience in the JW mags, but like ScubaFinder said, I sure do like my 8x!

-theGOLD

ruso

Greenie
May 13, 2005
montevideo-Uruguay
Detector(s) used
Pulse X8 Fiher 1280 Garrett XL500
Hi Brad,
I use a Klein 595 SSS with a computer because the thermal paper printer broke
and was cheaper to use a laptop and a new program to run it. Try to find a used
GEM 19 M because they don`t build it anymore, used with the SSS are a great
machine and wreck finder. Any time you see in the SSS a black dot and few seconds
the Mag shows variations, dive!! there is a piece of shipwreck.
Best regards
Ruso

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theGOLD
I AM CONSIDERING THE FOUR FOOT COIL AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU COULD TELL ME ABOUT IT. IS IT THE ONE WITH THE SKIDS UNDER IT?
SEAHUNTER

ruso

Greenie
May 13, 2005
montevideo-Uruguay
Detector(s) used
Pulse X8 Fiher 1280 Garrett XL500
Hi brad,
I just answered Voldjerg about Mags. I use the combination of mags with S.S.Sonars and
is a great machines. you put both in a computer and you find everything underwater.
My combination is the Klein 595 upgraded with a computer program and a Canadian GEM19M Overhauser Magnetometer this Mag works great. I had a bad expirence with a PROTON 2 mag.
Regards
Ruso

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread