Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner

BOHUNTZ

Greenie
Jan 4, 2007
CARMEL INDIANA
Detector(s) used
GARRET 250
Re: Why Dowsing doesn't work

May be it is like fortune telling, if it worked they would all be multi millionaires,not living in a trailer down by the river. ;D

J

Jean310

BOHUNTZ said:
May be it is like fortune telling, if it worked they would all be multi millionaires,not living in a trailer down by the river. ;D

Choice!

Jean

X

xupz

If you took a survey on the forums of the skeptics vs dowsers for demographic information it would roughly be:

skeptics -> younger, college educated
dowers -> old, high school drop outs

Just thought that's an interesting look on the fundamental rift we have here.

J

Jean310

aarthrj3811 said:
We have had over 40 people posting that they can Dowse or have saw someone else find an unknown target. We have over 17 pages of studies stating that Dowsing works. So far not one of the few skeptics have given a clear reason as to why it does not work. Now tell me why it does not work?....Art

If it works(?) for you, and you are happy doing what you are doing; why should it bother you if a few others are skeptical of your claims?

M

Mike(Mont)

Again, skeptical is not the correct term. Everyone is skeptical, me much more than most others. I'm skeptical about anyone on this forum. Just the other night I had a dream I was down by the river and a sheriff pulled up. It was a woman and she demanded we go with her. We got to a nearby place and there was a party for law enforcement. Talk about being uncomfortable! I soon woke up, thank God. You figure it out.

J

Jean310

Mike(Mont) said:
Again, skeptical is not the correct term...........

??? ??? ???

What do you think the correct term is, for one who questions the reliability of certain kinds of claims by subjecting them to a systematic investigation?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

SWR said:
aarthrj3811 said:
We have had over 40 people posting that they can Dowse or have saw someone else find an unknown target. We have over 17 pages of studies stating that Dowsing works. So far not one of the few skeptics have given a clear reason as to why it does not work. Now tell me why it does not work?....Art

Sorry Sir....but, water is not an unknown target.

The location is ...........what is unknown. Correct?

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Thanks COUNTRY GIRL...Yes, you should know what you are looking but the location would be unknown...Art

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thanks for the link Art, I am going to follow the suggestions, I will let you know "honestly" what happens.

P.S. I'm under 40 with some college, and lot's of schoolin', in lots of areas. ;) Probably too young for this sport huh?
Kim

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Hey COUNTRY GIRL...The experts say your to young and have to much schooling. I guess thats why Dowsing does not work....Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

but when dowsing is exposed to scientific examination, it presents a very different picture

Hey SWR....Where is this scientific examination? The only thing it says is just what you did....Art

X

xupz

aarthrj3811 said:
but when dowsing is exposed to scientific examination, it presents a very different picture

Hey SWR....Where is this scientific examination? The only thing it says is just what you did....Art

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/gwhowtofind.html

The point is Art that simply "dowsing" for water and marking a surface location doesn't qualify as there's already a high probability of hitting water at some point underground. Also, clearly dowsers who specialize in locating water have quite enough experience to spot the signs based on geography, plant life, etc and perhaps even depth to fairly accurate degree from experience and knowledge of the area.

I find it amusing that those with the experience to make such determinations attribute it to dowsing, which they could without any dowsing and be just as successful if they have the experience. Point is, if it were my job to locate water and had 20 years experience in it, I damn sure could perform better than ANY dowser without the experience.

Anyway, the day is coming where dowsing will go bye-bye and dismissed as crack-pot rantings until it's gone forever ;D

dowser 501

Apr 26, 2006

The effrontery of you. What do you think is going to make it go bye byes.
YOU?
Dowsing will be going and more popular than ever when your grandkids are just a memory. Max

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Gee xupz....I guess your narrow point of view on where water can be found comes from the vast amount of places you have lived...There is areas in the US that there is no water that can be drilled or if it is there it is un-drinkable. Why do we build these large Dams to collect the water in for summer use. Why does the City of LA's main water supply come from the mountains of Colorado? Why is there a 400 mile long stream of water running from the Sacramento River to LA....If water is as easy to come by you seem to think ...Why is every one wasting the money to transport this water?

If I wanted to drill a well at my present home I could not. I don't own the water rights. Buying and selling water rights has been going on for a 100 years. I don't know if there is 5 or 5000 water dowsers working in the US. That report states a well cost $1000 to drill. 40 years ago that may have been right but now it is a major investment

We all know that Water Dowsers Locate water and have a track record of being very accurate in depth and amount of water flow...So....Do you have any more ideas ...Why Dowsing doesn't work....Art

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

xupz said:
If you took a survey on the forums of the skeptics vs dowsers for demographic information it would roughly be:

skeptics -> younger, college educated
dowers -> old, high school drop outs

Just thought that's an interesting look on the fundamental rift we have here.
I'm a skeptic and I don't have a college education. I am getting tired of your "I am a college grad. so I am the smartest here attitude." I started a very successful business and then made the decision to sell so I could raise my kids. I am 35 years old and Retired. Your how old and still have to work. I guess college isn't so great after all ;D. Now back to the subject. Art, the dowsers have NOT shown that it works period. Lets face the facts, if dowsing worked I sure think that you could go to any legitimate detector shop and see the "Rods" sitting on the shelves with the detectors. So instead of arguing with the "skeptics" on here PROVE IT. Get together with Carl and agree on a test. Don't do it for the money, do it for all the dowsers. Now don't give me the argument that a test wont prove that dowsing works or doesn't. I will tell you, if you can do what you say, you will prove dowsing in general WORKS. There have always been skeptics. How did some of the great minds stop the skeptics? They PROVED IT.

J

Jean310

xupz said:
Anyway, the day is coming where dowsing will go bye-bye and dismissed as crack-pot rantings until it's gone forever ;D

I think that day is much closer than any of us here might imagine. I mean, all you have to do is look at the decline in high school dropouts over the past 15 or 20 years. Therefore, if we now have more HS graduates, and many of these go on to get a college education, that seriously depletes the group where "it seems" dowsers can actually emerge. And, as Lucky1777 just pointed out, there is nothing magical about having a college education ---it's just that most if not all the dowsers on here seem to have one thing in common, HSDO.

Here is something else to think about. If dowsing actually worked (as some claimed), I wonder why our colleges and universities don't turn out "new graduate dowsers"? In particular, I would think the Colorado School of Mines would be a logical school that would be teaching dowsing.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Hey lucky1777...I'm with you. I retired at age 41....There is a big difference between taking a test from a skeptic who's whole way of life depends on what happens in a test and someone that is just a skeptic. If some one had a study of non-dowsers and dowsers that would prove something I would consider this kind of testing.
I hope the day will never come when to many people are using the rods. It is my hobby and I have no idea about how many others enjoy Dowsing. I go on hunts with people with metal detectors and always have fun. I don't like people who know nothing about searching for treasure telling me what to do.
Dowsing is easy to prove. Make a free set of rods from a couple of coat hangers and step on a coin. If the rods cross you can either do more testing or not...If they don't cross ..They didn't work..Your question has been proven by you..the only person that counts...Art

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

SWR said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Thanks for the link Art, I am going to follow the suggestions, I will let you know "honestly" what happens.

P.S. I'm under 40 with some college, and lot's of schoolin', in lots of areas. ;) Probably too young for this sport huh?
Kim

You should be old enough to understand:

"Case histories and demonstrations of dowsers may seem convincing, but when dowsing is exposed to scientific examination, it presents a very different picture. The natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in many areas water would be hard to miss. In a region of adequate rainfall and favorable geology, it is difficult not to drill and find water!"

URL: http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/dowsing.html

Yes I'm old enough to understand, but still young enough to open my mind to learn new things. I guess Florida has an ample water supply, and most likely not much ledge, so an aquifer would be easier to locate. In the area I live in most towns do not have town water, you're dependent on wells to supply your household water needs. There is water under the rocks somewhere, drillers charge by the foot, do you want to take a chance on drilling 500-800 feet just to find out you do not have enough gallons per minute, if in fact you do hit water? Water will take the path of least resistance, so if you can find a big enough crack or crevice in the ledge you just may be able to get away with drilling less and getting more. Some dowser can tell you how many feet down you will have to dig within a foot or two and how many gallons per min you will get, within a gallon. If it wasn't for dowsers in these parts there would be a lot of properties with out homes.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Hey COUNTRY GIRL.....I had one place where by the time everyone had showered and went to school and work there would be no water for a few hours. Water the lawn for 30 minutes, no water again. The drillers wanted to move everything and drill a new well for $5,000. The water dowser said to go less than 10 foot deeper with the present well. For less than a $1,000 I had more water than I needed. Right now I live in the dessert. I have city water but....that water comes from wells or lakes...Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread