Why Dowsing doesnt work

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: Why Dowsing doesn't work

This is a very false statement, Art. Other than dowsers and those uneducated about hydro-locating you've got nothing. No track record...zero...zilch..Nada...the big goose egg

Hydro-locating? You mean Dig Safe.......the people who are supposed to know where the gas lines, phone lines, electric lines, water lines, ect.....are burried in the ground. Got maps and supposed locations in their possesions. I'd trust a dowser first. My husband is a heavy equipment operator and because of all the miss marked underground utilities by Hydro-locating, he still has to dig cautiously around. 50% of the time or better they are off by a long shot. Try having a bucket full of electrical line or a gas main hanging out of you bucket. He has over the years learned to FEEL the wires, the lines, sometimes it's a tree root granted, better safe than sorry. Hydro-locating is highly unreliable. Dig safe was at my work place, marked out the gas line, gas co came and said they thought dig safe was off and remarked the lines, good thing. I guess reliability is in the ability of the person behind the equipment.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

With all due respect Sir, no matter how I type in "hydro" it stands for electricity. Typing in hydro-locating, comes up with utility companys. I think the proper term would have been Hydrology, or Hydrogeology. So my fault for not understanding you were talking strictly water.

As far as the safety of my husband and his fellow workers................I would lay my life on the line for him and his friends.

What I was trying to put forth is the reliability of their high tech expensive equipment, licensed and bonded or not (that just means they can't be sued if they fail). I have heard the stories of these folks being off by a long shot for many years. So...........they can not prove to me their equipment and there maps work 100 % of the time. Nothing works 100% of the time, dowsing included.

Sorry I did not understand your terminology.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner

Sorry I did not understand your terminology.

COUNTRY GIRL....That seems to be common mistake on this forum. I teach kids how to find utility lines and get a lot of negative replies. I have said nothing about or am I telling them to dig. I teach them to find them so they will not plant trees or pour a patio over them. I have had a sewer company try to rip me off and the fact that I knew where the line was saved me bucks. I have my own Dowsing rules and one of them is...if more than 2 1/2 feet deep I will not dig until other equipment tells me more about what is down there. ..Art

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Hydro menas electricity unless used as a prefix, got it.

Seriously, again with all due respect gentlemen, when you are dealing with electricity, gas, sometimes water, and you are a foot off in either direction, isn't that alot? Example.....you have multiple lines you are marking, your a foot off on three of them, up, down, right or left, isn't that rather dangerous? (MY husband is very experienced, so we are not talking about him). In all reality the line could be a foot higher and a foot more to the left. Is it the equipment that causes the verriance or the person reading the equipment that causes the verriance?

Is it the dowser who is off or the amperes in the ground or some other reasoning?

Art I like the way you teach and the common sense you use.

Thanks for putting up with me ;).
Kim

X

xupz

lucky1777 said:
I'm a skeptic and I don't have a college education. I am getting tired of your "I am a college grad. so I am the smartest here attitude." I started a very successful business and then made the decision to sell so I could raise my kids. I am 35 years old and Retired. Your how old and still have to work. I guess college isn't so great after all ;D.

Poor assumptions? Yes indeed. You've got a good 8 years on me in age, I run my own business at present and have been in business for over two years now. If I wanted to retire and waste time I could do so very soon and live off the interest. You seem to think you're unique for "retiring" at 35. There are plenty of people in this world who understand the principle of OPM and OPM => wealth. I will say congrats on making it with a high school diploma, I never ONCE said someone with "less education" couldn't make it. It only takes hard work and persistence. I was simply pointing out the fact that people with a high school diploma are "less educated", well in some cases no education ;), and have no concept of academia and the scientific community. Yet, dowsers on the forums make all these ridiculous claims which only emphasize their lack of education. The demographic information is just interesting as to characteristics of the skeptic population compared to the dowser population, what inference did you pull from it? :D

BTW, college is great. You wouldn't know since you didn't go. The problem with college is that it doesn't teach people "how to make money", it teaches you how to work a career / job. The ones who have a little vision can take what they've learned and APPLY it to make money.

Whatever though, credibility here really means nothing anyway, especially to the dowsers, so "bragging" about anything moot right? It's too bad though, I really wanted to brag about having designed and built a perpetual motion machine, cold fusion reactor out of a beer can, and my anti-gravity device. ;D

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

SWR said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Hydro menas electricity unless used as a prefix, got it.

Not sure which dictionairy you used to get that definition. Hydroelectric would be electricity generated by using water to move the generators.

Seriously, again with all due respect gentlemen, when you are dealing with electricity, gas, sometimes water, and you are a foot off in either direction, isn't that alot? Example.....you have multiple lines you are marking, your a foot off on three of them, up, down, right or left, isn't that rather dangerous? (MY husband is very experienced, so we are not talking about him). In all reality the line could be a foot higher and a foot more to the left. Is it the equipment that causes the verriance or the person reading the equipment that causes the verriance?

No, one foot (12 inches) left or right is not considered as a lot in underground utilities. The variance is what is allowed, by trade standards.

Are the lanes in roadways exactly as wide as your car?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hydro

Again....Is it the equipment or the person reading the equipment that cause the varriance?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Of or pertaining to electricity.

From Ancient Greek prefix ύδρο- (hydro-), from ύδωρ (hydor) "water".

[edit] Noun
Singular
hydro
Plural
countable and uncountable; hydros

hydro (countable and uncountable; plural hydros)

(uncountable) hydroelectric power
(Canadian English, uncountable) electricity; usually specifically from the domestic electrical power supply.
I won't have lights until my house gets the hydro turned on.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I reckon "hydroponics" is where plants are grown in big ol' vats of e-lectricity.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thanks Folks!

Here's one for you. My Hubby and I have not even mentioned the word Dowsing to each other in many years. We both had seen our old buck friend do it with water but never really discussed it. So..............I get home and start asking this Heavy Equipment Operator a few questions. Do not diss my Husband, diss the theorys or the concepts, or me, not him please. Just a simple conversation......

Does any one come to the job sites and dowse for you guys?

No just Eddy.

Eddy can dowse?

Oh yeah, he's good at it, but I can't do it. Other guys can though. I don't have the right energies. (he goes on to tell me about the brass rods, how to hold them, ect...)

I asked if the rods cross over each other...

For Eddy they do, but i seen others try it and they spread apart.

Now I am totally shocked, I never knew he had even tried it before. So I ask if Eddy is as accurate as dig safe, aren't they off alot.

He's some times better than dig safe, but it's hard for dig safe at times because they don't know there are two lines running through, sometimes they use a small electrical wire run along the pipe called a tracer wire, but that only works as well as the instalation. Eddy's not perfect either, one time we were looking for burried man hole covers, but there was so much junk in the ground it didn't work out at all.

Do you trust Eddy and what he finds as much as you trust dig safe?

Absolutely, ones no better or worse than the other.

Now this has me thinking...........I know Eddy, I know my husband, why does it work for some and not for others? Is it personality, Eddy's a patient man my husband is not. Is it diffrent chemical balance we al posses. Is it a combination thereof. I tend to lean on the side it a combination, you need the personality, the patience and the enhanced senses to be able to preform.

An observation not an insult intended at all............Just watching the diffrent personalities debating works or doesn't in here...........The Folks with patience and an open mind to all views can dowse.

One last question, I have as of yet tried dowsing but I am going to. Have all of you tried it, why doesn't it work for you. If you do some research there are a lot of people than can do it.

Thanks for reading.
Kim

angel_09

Jul 8, 2005

If you took a survey on the forums of the skeptics vs dowsers for demographic information it would roughly be:

skeptics -> younger, college educated
dowers -> old, high school drop outs

Just thought that's an interesting look on the fundamental rift we have here.
by XUPZ

I don't think attainment has something to do with dowsing, where it seems that educated people are more acceptable than those who haven't reached that stage...

How about Bill Gates and Nicolai Tesla? They are both drop out.... those younger, college educated used the principles formulated by Testa (electrical field) and employed by Gates who is a drop out (computer field).....

Just curious,
Angel_09

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lucky1777 said:
I'm a skeptic and I don't have a college education. I am getting tired of your "I am a college grad. so I am the smartest here attitude."

I agree. Rational thinking is not limited to the highly educated. Nor are Pee-Aich-Dees immune from gullibility and delusions. Let's not judge folks by their degrees.

- Carl

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

One last question, I have as of yet tried dowsing but I am going to. Have all of you tried it, why doesn't it work for you. If you do some research there are a lot of people than can do it.

Thanks for reading.
Kim

Thanks COUNTRY GIRL....The only way you will know if it works is to give it a try. As for the rest of you....If you do not try it I put you in the same position as I do people who do not vote. If you do not vote you have no right to complaint....Art

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

SWR said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
He's some times better than dig safe, but it's hard for dig safe at times because they don't know there are two lines running through, sometimes they use a small electrical wire run along the pipe called a tracer wire, but that only works as well as the instalation. Eddy's not perfect either, one time we were looking for burried man hole covers, but there was so much junk in the ground it didn't work out at all.

I only hope you are making this up to try and support your cause. I feel sorry for your Hubby and fellow workers if not.

Sorry, but being involved with legitimate construction for boocoo years, I know different. There are too many legal and liability issues for any job foremen/supervisor NOT to call the utility companies BEFORE they dig. In some states, it is the law. Typically, underground locating/marking is done way in advance of heavy machines coming onto the site.

Safely first and all that, ya know?

My goodnes you need to slow down and absorb my friend. Dig safe is on all jobs and every job. I don't think they are required for man hole covers. Yes he may do it before they get there, but not to use his results strictly, when doing utilities. If you had read thouroughly I was actually giving dig safe a compliment. I know about construction for boocoo years also, another debate?

Safety first is a must!

I need not make things up to support my case, I have a case.

So.......have you ever tried to dowse? Can't do it so it doesn't exist?

dowser 501

Apr 26, 2006

SwR, reply no. 3 on this thread claiming that water is a known quantity re dowsing. It most certainly is not. I have seen drillers plunging through dry underground river beds where they were guided by dowsers receiving strong water signals.

You can only dowse for what you can mentally envisage. I cannot locate hydrogen or oxygen with my dowsing, except as a ball of oxygen on a far distant planet.

Dowsers are receiving collective cavity signals which they associate with water. It is the same signal that you would receive over a hidden cavity , such as a cave or a sewer or water pipe.

I would test for water pressure if I wanted to check out the streams contents.
Maybe it has been dry for millions of years. Those things happen through build up of calcite inside the lining, or dropping down to a lower level, or just plain failure of the delivery to the piped stream for countless reasons.

SWR Why don't you confine your remarks to a subject you are familiar with. Max

X

xupz

You know what's funny? I never stated a single thing about the "rough" at best demographics. I simply pointed out that there is a difference in the populations of dowsers and skeptics, just from observation. You all made your own conclusions as to what I was saying. Thanks for making my point for me.

And BTW, you might want to point those fingers back at yourselves, you're the ones who made those conclusions, not I.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

Gee People....45 posts about why dowsing doesn't work....NOT any answers to the QUESTION...I guess I will have to start another topic. What question should I ask next?....Thanks Carl for telling the truth....Art
For those those who weren't paying attention before...

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISPROVE DOWSING.

X

xupz

aarthrj3811 said:
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISPROVE DOWSING.

Seems it's impossible to prove it works to begin with. "Guilty until proven innocent".

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used

xupz......What part of "Why Dowsing doesn't work" is beyond you mental ability?...Art

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

aarthrj3811 said:
xupz......What part of "Why Dowsing doesn't work" is beyond you mental ability?...Art
Hmmm, Why Dowsing Doesn't Work....
Well, obviously because it's being done by dowsers....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread