Old time Dowser.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years Ago there was a very nice old Gentleman by the name of Ernie Andrews. He worked out of western Nebraska. He was a very good dowser. He took me to a park and taught me a lesson or two about how to dowse. He would do with a pendulum and rods what most people did with the most expensive and sensitive metal detector. My Question does anyone out side me remember him??? I would like to find out what happened to him as I lost track of him about 1980 or 1982. He ran with a high powered Treasure crowd and match them coin for coin, and cache for cache. That was thirty five years ago before a lot of you were even alive. Just a kind old Geezer wants to know if you have any information.

S.D.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
I met Mr. Andrews in Georgia one time only. He demonstrated his new method of map dowsing and I have not heard of him since then either. I think he was a member of the American Dowser's Society. someone there might could give you some info on him. I also, like you, met him in the 1980's or late 70's.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started looking at treasure magazines at the store, back around 1986-1987. From about 86-89 a number of good dowsing articles were published, some featured a dowser but never remembered his last name. I did see the dowser on TV, a documentary of his abilities.

They showed the mine owners, the dowsing it was for pink tourmaline. The owner had a topo map made for the mine shaft, giving contour lines of the sides. The map was pendulum dowsed (only back them in some treasure magazine articles, they called it "doodlebugging" and using L-rods referred to as dowsing).

It worked really good, but according to certain dowsing theories, using L-rods down in a mine shaft where there is no sunlight "cain't be possible" unless you are a psychic dowser. He explained as his pendulum rotated, how some hits were stronger. Down in the mine shaft the old dowser picked up a signal in the right area, pointed a single rod at the shaft wall, maybe the other rod spinning.

Mine owner walked over to the spot, noticed a seam there, struck it with a hammer. The surface rock popped off, underneath you could see all these huge beautiful pink crystals.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with Ernie a few times in the late 80's. He said he was working on a book. I believe that book was Dowsing made easy..you can do it. I purchased it around '94 or '95. I called back in 1998 and spoke with his widow who mentiond he had passed away in 1998. She mentioned that she was selling all of what he had in stock...pendulums,books, hard to find publications..ect so I bought up a few more things. 2004 was the last correspondence I had with her.
Jon

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of a different dowser, do remeber now the first letter of his name was a W. Back then a dowser living in the Southwest, could find enough caches to donate some to charity.

In fact, 3 young beginners from Colorado, made a pendulum out of a quartz crystal and a pair of L-rods. After finding caches from Denver to California, a local Denver TV station interviewed them. Next thing happened was an article published of their story in a treasure magazine. These guys ended up just donating a few of their caches to charities.

Last edited:

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
I'm thinking of a different dowser, do remeber now the first letter of his name was a W. Back then a dowser living in the Southwest, could find enough caches to donate some to charity.

In fact, 3 young beginners from Colorado, made a pendulum out of a quartz crystal and a pair of L-rods. After finding caches from Denver to California, a local Denver TV station interviewed them. Next thing happened was an article published of their story in a treasure magazine. These guys ended up just donating a few of their caches to charities.

Greetings Red!!

That red tourmaline find on film was Ron Warmoth, from LA,CA. He has passed away(I think he was assassinated). I hired him once, but I never got search permission, so he refused to set foot on the property. He was the best in the country. His primary big-money clients were corporations. $2500 per day, plus expenses.LOTTA $$ back in the 1990's!! Most oil, but told me about 25% of corp. clients were the big-name gold mining companies.HAH!! And dowsing is fake??? Interesting story of how he got started in New Orleans.... ~darylluke.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Earnest Andrews wrote a book about Georgia lost gold stories. I only learned of him after he passed away.
That book last I checked was available for $200++ I have two. (R.Warmoth never wrote a book)
I just bet his widow has no idea how much gold he found and hid on their property!! ~darylluke.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Red!!

That red tourmaline find on film was Ron Warmoth, from LA,CA. He has passed away(I think he was assassinated). I hired him once, but I never got search permission, so he refused to set foot on the property. He was the best in the country. His primary big-money clients were corporations. $2500 per day, plus expenses.LOTTA $$ back in the 1990's!! Most oil, but told me about 25% of corp. clients were the big-name gold mining companies.HAH!! And dowsing is fake??? Interesting story of how he got started in New Orleans.... ~darylluke.
I really enjoyed reading treasure articles written about him. He described how a dowser walking with L-rods must learn to tell if the gold signal is a single gold coin, cache or natural gold in the ground. I've tried to pattern my dowsing after that concept, you need to ID a target even if a single coin.

The tourmaline mine dowse was so interesting to watch. From what I can remember (hopefully have this right) Ron had a way of walking along in the shaft, he stayed to the far left because the strongest hit when map dowsing the topo, would be off to the right. The owner got out the map when the rods crossed. Sure enough it was the spot. Next step of his technique, was to point a single rod toward the shaft wall. Moving it up/down and sideways, the rod in his opposite hand started spinning, then walked in closer and to the crystals.

There is another way or opposite method, holding the other rod on the bend pointing down (where the rods crossed). The rod pointing in the direction of the target is allowed to swivel. Moving the single pointing and free swiveling rod forward, then back (across the line of field) can give you triangulation.

Attachments

• Figure _D2pos.jpg
    Figure _D2pos.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Anyone remember George Mancebo? He hailed from Felton, CA, then moved up to Foresthill, CA around 1989, and built a nice house there at the top of a canyon. He was an oil dowser, and had success for oil exploration companies. I stayed at his house off and on, and he taught me how to use the copper wire doodlebug, which is ultra sensitive.

Then there was a oil dowser named Rae that I knew back in the 80's. Her and her dad became rich when they bought up oil leases and dowsed them.

Then there is Rick Hughes, a gold dowser around Auburn, CA who located gold for dredgers in the American River.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions