My today's dowsing finds.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi , why would one pay $40 for something which they can make for free? TP
HEY TIN PAN. OMG. Where have you been? Hows things down under? Getting colder I'll bet.

Well, to answer your question, these folding rods are easier to handle, better looking, have nice comfortable handles on them, but most of all, I can put them in my pockets when I am not using them.

Stay tuned for more dowsing finds. After all, they are the final things that trumps all objections, from what ever source.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Stay tuned for more dowsing finds. After all, they are the final things that trumps all objections, from what ever source.

That's not an accurate statement. If you can find things with a dowsing rod in a scientifically controlled manner, THAT would trump all objections.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Stay tuned for more dowsing finds. After all, they are the final things that trumps all objections, from what ever source.

That's not an accurate statement. If you can find things with a dowsing rod in a scientifically controlled manner, THAT would trump all objections.

Jeff, I credit lesjcbs for posting some stuff on "today's finds" section here. Because I did render the challenge before of "why don't we see dowsers posting finds? After all, md'rs post show & tell all the time [even valuable stuff], so why aren't we seeing any goodies from the dowser proponents?"

So to that extent, I credit him for posting results (even if humble). Because, after all, the "proof is in the pudding", eh ?

But yes: This was not a "scientifically controlled" double-blind test. After all, it could be argued by anyone looking at this particular set of finds, that you can go to ANY random park, pull out a detector, and invariably find a coin "in a 5 ft. circle".

On the other hand, I was happy to see someone come on and post claimed results. And if the day ever comes where a cache is found and posted, that wasn't a) d/t simply pointing it at enough likely looking ruins and digging 100 random holes, and b) pulling out the detector to "pinpoint", then I will be even more impressed. But alas, that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so you did use an electronic pinpointer (aka metal detector) to pinpoint the target ? Or are you saying you solely relied on the "x pattern" of your dowsing rods to pinpoint ? Without the aid of any electronic metal detector ?
So, what's the issue with pinpointing???? Do you use a pinpointer Tom? Have you used a two box? If so did you use another detector to narrow down where your hit was? He's getting close to his signal with the rods just as you would with a detector then using a pin pointer. What's wrong with that? What's your handle over at Randi's site? Sure starting to sound like their posts. I have to give him credit he's doing better than I can do on small objects! My hats off to him. Ok, most of the objects I've used rods for I use a probe (two 6' sections) so does that disqualify me in the skeptics handbook? I'm constantly forgetting my pin pointer in my other bag, and resort to my old skool probe, you know welding rod stuck in a golf ball so would that invalidate my detector find as a real find or is it a fluke? Oh, BTW I dug out some old tennis, I'll try to go chuck them in the air & let you know how I fare on that.

BTW Lesjcbs good job! You're doing better than a lot of us! Don't let the one negative person rain on you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So, what's the issue with pinpointing???? Do you use a pinpointer Tom? ....

Nothing at all is "wrong with pinpointers". I have a sunray inline probe on my Explorer II, as a matter of fact :)

Just pointing out that maybe (just maybe) the rods didn't find anything. But rather, the fact of pulling out a detector and running it in an urban park where, invariably, there will be clad or aluminum in any random 5 ft. circle. So I would therefore not call the detector a "pinpointer" in that case. I'd call it the soul cause of the finds of the objects.

Last edited:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, you wait for the dowsing rods to cross, then detect in a five foot circle around that point with a metal detector? Ok then......:icon_scratch:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I think what he means is he's using the rods to locate to a 5' area. Can't speak for the others but what I learned and have watched others do is to walk until you get your signal or rods crossing etc. Then you come back over the area 90 degrees from your first pass. And in my cases again from another angle(s) just as we do with our detectors. Then pinpoint either with a detector, pinpointer or in my cases a 6' or longer probe. Throw out all Toms negativity and it'll be easier to understand.

Tom! I just went out with one of my old tennis closed my eyes turned around three times and threw it in the air about 10' high right in the middle of my test bed. Nope no joy! Not even close to anything after three tries. Hey Tom you got a ladder I can borrow? My tennie went on the roof of my RV............ And I think my neighbor thinks I've completely lost it!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Tom! I just went out with one of my old tennis closed my eyes turned around three times and threw it in the air about 10' high right in the middle of my test bed. Nope no joy! Not even close to anything after three tries. ...

What ? The treasure-finding tennis shoe didn't work ?? But you only tried it "3 times". So it's not that the tennis shoe treasure-finder doesn't work, it simply means you need more practice. Try it 10 times. If it still doesn't work, that doesn't prove anything. It simply means you didn't practice long enough. Thus 20 times. Then 40. Then 100, etc... At no time does my tennis shoe device ever "not work". It will always be that the user "needs more practice" and "shouldn't be so negative" :)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ? The treasure-finding tennis shoe didn't work ?? But you only tried it "3 times". So it's not that the tennis shoe treasure-finder doesn't work, it simply means you need more practice. Try it 10 times. If it still doesn't work, that doesn't prove anything. It simply means you didn't practice long enough. Thus 20 times. Then 40. Then 100, etc... At no time does my tennis shoe device ever "not work". It will always be that the user "needs more practice" and "shouldn't be so negative" :)
Will do!!!! Thanks for your helpful input!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were those pennies more or less ,, surface finds??
I have never used dowsing rods and have no clue as to how they work. What is the deepest target you have dug?

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More dowsing finds today, March 29, 2017. Two penneys. One was about 1" below ground and the other about 1/2 ".

I too don't understand why other dowsers have not posted their finds.

I have never thought or claim my rods are moving by themselves. they are not living things. I do believe it is me / my hands that are moving them when my / our nervous system picks up the energy / force or call it what you like from a target.

Here are two examples which point to the root of how dowsing works. No, I cannot prove it, all I know is what I have found and the places I found them in which includes way out in the west deserts of Utah near Nevada where, unlike city parks, there has been very little human traffic.

Science is a great thing and has done many good things for our world. But science is limited. It does not take into count, the hunch, that uneasy gut feelings, the impressions we as humans have, listen to and go by every day. In the case of dowsing, as it has been said, the proof is in the pudding. The the finds in the pudding (dowsing methods) here is the proof.

Here are two events that happens in our world. Consider them.

SO,

*** Have you ever been in a meeting where there were many other people there too? As you sat there listening intently to the speaker, suddenly you look in a direction and discover someone is looking directly at you. They are startled when your eyes lock, they are embarrassed and quickly look away. It can and maybe has happene to you when you are looking at someone.

*** A young mother and her husband go out for the evening. They hire a baby sitter to take care of their new born baby. At the party, the mother suddenly gets a strange and uneasy feeling they must return home. She does not know why, just that they need to go home NOW! She tells her husband and he asks why? All she can tell him is she has an unmistakable uneasy feeling that they must return home. So they go home.

When they arrive, they find their house is on fire. The flames reach high into the night sky and smoke is black and thick The police and fire departments are there. Fire engines and police car lights flash bright red and blue colors all around the area, and neighbors are standing on the sidewalk watching.. THEIR BABY? OMG, the baby? The mother become frantic, screaming and with tears rolling down her face in shear and raw terror, she tries to get into the house to save her baby but is stopped by a policeman. Suddenly they discover the baby and the baby sitter are in the crowd. They got out of the house just in time and are safe.

Events like this happens all the time and in many places and in many circumstances. To me, these real events is what Einstein was pointing to when talking about dowsing and how it works. He said: “I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction this is, however,unjustified. The dowsing rod is a simple instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time.”

Some will claim he did not say this. It really does not matter who did or did not say it. Researchers into our minds verify the validity of the statement when they say,that even today, we use only a small fraction of our brain and that there is much more to explore and to discover. In fact, most children are taught that the human body has five senses:sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell. But many neurologists identify nine or more senses, and some list as many as 21.

So I wonder which sense dowsing has at its roots?

When it comes to dowsing Einstein was correct, our nervous is what works it and the rods are nothing more than simple instruments in the process.

Attachments

• S5300653.JPG
    S5300653.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I too don't understand why other dowsers have not posted their finds...

Well, if the question were relegated to big ticket items (caches), then their stock answer is: "Fear of the IRS and Thieves". Oddly, that doesn't seem to stop md'rs from posting show & tell. Thanx for posting your stuff here and addressing the Qs.

.... I do believe it is me / my hands that are moving them when my / our nervous system picks up the energy / force or call it what you like from a target......

But you would be the first to admit there is nothing measurable to ascertain this, right ? People have tried and tried to see if ANY sort of "signal" (energy, force, whatever you want to call it) is emitted and received. And nothing has ever become of it. So you well-know the usual followup proponent's explanation for that of:

..... But science is limited.....

Or to put it another way: dowsing is not "mystical" or "supernatural" (ie.: spooks, divination, occult, etc...). It is entirely explainable by physical means. HOWEVER, it is "un-explained science". Just like science once though the earth was flat. Or that heavier than air flight was impossible. Am I understanding you correctly ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... It does not take into count, the hunch, that uneasy gut feelings, the impressions we as humans have.....

Now this seems to be waffling back and forth between explanations. On the one hand, you seem to indicate there is a signal (albeit as yet not scientifically explainable). Yet with this statement it seems you're attributing it to "gut hunches".

I have heard this explanation before. And I can accept this (although, humorously, it only confirms that the rods are doing at all). It's no different than a well-skilled md'r, or a well skilled nugget hunter, can walk out to ANY potential spot (a field, a valley, a stream bed, etc...) and look at the lay-of-the-land. And JUST BY THEIR GUT FEELING (based on much experience) can tell you the most likely spots that nuggets are likely to be in that stream bed. Or the most likely spot for coins in that meadow (Ie.: the most likely place the picnickers would have picked, or the campers would have camped, etc...). And they hone their md'ing on those "most-likely spots".

I can accept this. I do it all the time. After nearly 40 yrs. hunting beach storm erosion, I can walk out after a storm, look at the beach, and tell exactly where the most likely spots mother nature grouped targets. But notice if the dowsers rely on this explanation of their craft, then ...... doh .... that simply means their rods did nothing. They can walk out and just do it mentally, just like any other skilled hunter. So far from bolstering dowsing, this seems to detract from the whole notion.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... In the case of dowsing, as it has been said, the proof is in the pudding. The pudding here are the finds.......

In-so-far as the "proof" withstands the: "Is there a more plausible explanation ?" test of things.

.....*** A young mother and her husband go out for the evening. They hire a baby sitter to take care of their new born baby. At the party, the mother suddenly gets a strange and uneasy feeling they must return home. She does not know why, just that they need to go home NOW! She tells her husband and he asks why? All she can tell him is she has an unmistakable uneasy feeling that they must return home. ....

Consider that "Un-canny" occurances like that, could simply the trick of selective memory bias. All of us, every day, all day long, have subconscious premonitions. 99.9% of which never come true. And hence we promptly forget those premonitions. But when one DOES coincidentally one day come true, ONLY THEN do we recall the premonition and think "Aha! I'm psychic"

Same concept for when you're dreaming of a certain rock & roll song. Your radio alarm clock wakes you up TO THAT EXACT SAME SONG ! But the truth is, we dream hundreds of dreams every night. And forget them all within 20 seconds of waking up. None of which ever comes true. But when one DOES coincidentally come true, THEN we remember the dream !

So in the case of your "worried mom" example, I'll bet there's 10's of thousands of "worried mom" stories, where they rushed home, to find nothing at all amiss. So they chalk it up to "just being safe", etc.....

If you suggest this explanation to someone who's had an "un-canny" moment, it's easy to dismiss this explanation . Because they will rack their brain for other dreams that *didn't* come true. They don't remember any. So they dismiss this explanation. BUT THAT'S JUST THE POINT ! They WON'T remember the dreams that DIDN'T come true. They only remember those that did. Doh!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, if a compass, a magnet, a metal detector have strong reaction to mineralized ground why then there was no response from dowsing rods at all ? Please answer my question with an answer and not a sales pitch like you did last time. TP

Last edited:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hahaha good luck with the rods. I wish all the hunters around here did this!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , How many lives of our brave troops in the middle east been saved from I.E.Ds using dowsing rods? Tp

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
HI, if a compass, a magnet, a metal detector have strong reaction to mineralized ground why then there was no response from dowsing rods at all ? ....

Well that's simple. Don't you know by now tin-pan ? It's "undiscovered science". After all, scientists once thought the earth was flat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread