Need Help with first dredge build PLEASE!!!!

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planning on building a 3" dredge when i get my taxes back in a couple of weeks. Ive got everything pretty much planned out as far as parts go minus the engine and pump and that is where my question comes in. I was planning on using 3" Standard Sluice Box for Jet Flare: Keene Engineering Online for my Box. I will be using this mainly in small streams and need to know what my best bet will be as far as engine/pump goes. I see alot of people using trash pump/engine combinations purchased from Ebay, Harbor Freight ETC. but then i see alot of people saing that they wont work for a 3" dredge. After all parts purchased for dredge and components im looking right at $800 minus engine/pump+SH. I really dont want to drop another $700 for Keene or Proline engine/pump combo if there is something out there that will work comprimable. I dont need the best thing out there as i will only use maybe 1-2 times per week, but i also dont want some p.o.s thats not gonna move any material after i get down into a good hole. I know this is smaller and will possibly be less productive, but would i be better off going with a package deal like this..???2.5 Inch Jet Flare Combination Kit: Keene Engineering Online HELP AND ADVISE PLEASE!!!!

maverick41950

Jun 18, 2012
NC-Piedmont area and only an hour away from fine c
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For 3 bills, you can get a Keene 3" Ultra Dredge, 6.5 HP Honda with high pressure pump and air compressor. I would seriously consider a self contained Dredge of your choice. Put it in the creek and pull it around to wherever you want to work.

Good luck in whatever you choose and go find that color.:icon_thumleft:

Bryan

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you can find a good used one on ebay. I've seen some good one's there, mostly in Cali. though. GL.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had that kind of money thats def what i would do.My budget according to my wife LOL, is about $1500 so thats out of the question.Also i like the idea of the highbanker dredge combo so im not stuck with just a dredge..thanks for the input though!!

Ace2010

Sep 22, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If i had that kind of money thats def what i would do.My budget according to my wife LOL, is about $1500 so thats out of the question.Also i like the idea of the highbanker dredge combo so im not stuck with just a dredge..thanks for the input though!!
The link I sent you was one for $1700 on craigslist but if you offered the $1500 he may take it.
If you wanted to build a small dredge and know you do not want to add air you can get this pacer pump for $330 it should be fine on a 2.5 or 3 inch.
Pacer® Self-Priming Transfer Pump, 2 in. - 2136019 | Tractor Supply Company

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went down this road and can pass some advise to ya

Don't build buy terse plenty of used equipment out here
You'll spend more and it will be worth less when your done
I'm not trying to insult ya. But when you sell it folks feel more comfort in a factory built machine
I have a lot of fab skill and tooling at my disposal and still with the skills would not recommend going down this road

If you must
Check out dredge builders warehouse they have pumps that will fit a keyed shaft
Also keene will sell just the pump side and you can save 200 just putting the pump on your self and buying the engine separate

Also I would go with a 4"
Within a month you'll want a bigger machine
Good luck
You may try dredging with a buddy first then move to what ya want as far as equipment
You'll find most of these fellas will take ya out most enjoy the company

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also be patient and watch Craig's list

Iv seen good machines sell for 900 to 1000
I bought a great 4 keene for 1200 fixed the pull rope and went dredgeing
I saw a 4" proline go for 900 last year on Craigslist
You just have to watch every day they don't last long when the price is right

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So many variables it's hard to say whats best. I bought the Keene 2.5" jet flare setup you linked (already had the motor and pump). It's a nice little dredge, easy to pack, good for shallow sampling or working normally dry areas like a gravel bar. That little 2.5 hp motor and p90 pump are a great system for the weight, also can be used for a highbanker/powersluice light and versatile. It will save your back from a day of shoveling, but your arms will get a workout from throwing a lot of rocks. I basically paid for mine in a few trips to one of the club claims after getting into some decent gold, mostly because the spot was to dry to float a dredge in there (unless you built a huge dam) and when it wasn't, well you didn't want to be there.

That was about 2' of overburden with about 6-8" of water on bedrock which was only there because I built a small dam. I'd like to get the 4" in there. Where are those beavers when you need them!

I don't know what kind of logistics, water,gold,rules etc you are dealing with but I would get at least a 4" dredge with air,wetsuit etc.

Check Craigslist early and often, use the search sites that let you search multiple Craigslist cities at once and be prepared to drive a couple hours each way for a deal.

Craigslist has some good deals, but for every good deal there will be a couple dozen listings where people are trying to sell worn out junk.

Check your local dive shops for new, old stock on wetsuits, you might be surprised. I paid 100.00 for new top + farmer john bottom incl boots/gloves. The boots and gloves never last BTW. Also the 7 mil top is better than anything Harvy's will ever make.

The best thing about finding a deal on Craigslist is it's not unusual to get the whole package for less than the cost of just a new dredge! Mask, wetsuit, weights,regulator (mouthpiece is cheap to buy new) etc. I've even seen deals with clean up gear included, but those are few.

Get a good motor and purpose made high pressure pump. Yes they are expensive, that is why you shop for lightly used.

You could be the best fabricator in the state, and if this was to be your first motorized gold equipment I'd still say what Maverick did. None of the pre-made are ideal for any 1 deposit, trust me there will be plenty of opportunity for fabrications.

Get a good motor and pump. I have only been at this maybe 4 years and have already seen many operators completely stymied, even competent ones, using those new knockoff motors. And its a dam shame too cause some of them were real "go getters".

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to bed and thought about it... Where do you start with an answer that's so complex? 3" is the smallest that I would go, look at a Dahlke 3" mini and compare the prices, don't look at the over priced to rape Keene crap when Spencer will build you whatever you need for half the price at southyubamining.com . Forget the Pacer crap if for nothing else, just because of the weight. You can run a 3" off of a 4hp motor with a used Keene P150, Gold King 125, Proline Hp300, etc. 5hp Honda's are selling for good prices all over the net. I think jacks small engine is the name of one place. Paul just bought one for a few hundred. You can get a Briggs also new for a good price. I'm sure that you can find a used P150 at Pioneer Mining Supply 530-885-1801 or look around. Watch my "how to build a gold dredge series" for floats and frames, especially my last one on platforms because you will not need a lot of flotation, maybe 40 gallons per side max. A 16" wide box is better for a 3" if you go with the P180 or HP400 because of the high amount of water flow.
"The Reed Lukens Channel" on YouTube

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys,i really appreciate all of yall's help!!!

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Well thanks a lot Reed! I just had to clean the coffee off my keyboard! Can't believe you mentioned Dahlke in your first sentence! Now for the question. I'd also recommend a factory dredge for your first dredge because there are a lot of variables to work out trying to build one unless you've been at it for a while. I'd also look at a 4" instead of a 3" and I wouldn't have a dredge without air. I'd look at the Dahlke 4" if you're in small streams and slower water. Bigger streams and fast water need a bigger or better flotation system. I'd also not use a trash pump. Get a good pressure pump like a Dahlke or Proline. With the way things are going there are a lot of used ones showing up.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok,now im confused a bit..is Dahlke not good or are I saying they are good?? Also looked at the South Yuba Mining products that Reed suggested, and that stuff looks good as well.My only concern with that is it looks like I would have to use a crash box and couldn't use a jet flair.Did some reading and looked like the jet flair is what most recommended vs. crash box.Also didn't see any type of classification or "punchplate" available on the Yuba products..

Ace2010

Sep 22, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You said you would mainly be using this in small streams.How small are your streams? If they are branches that do not have much water flow you would be better off going small with a 2 1/2 or so but if you have enough water I would go with a 4 or 5 inch with air.Keep checking craigslist and you will find a good deal on a used dredge.
A lot of us want to build our own when we first get the fever but when you start buying parts and putting it together you find out it would have been cheaper to buy used.
Be careful not to buy abused though.Reed has a good article somewhere about how to check all the components of a used dredge.Also be careful buying homemade dredges because I've seen several lately on craigslist that people built themselves that look new but its obvious they are selling them because they just don't work.Seen a couple lately with trash pumps sitting on nice looking aluminum floats with 4 or 5 inch hoses and a 20 inch wide box.It want work.
If you are dead set on building your own and want a good new pump at the cheapest price I know of, call Alan Tree's at Gold Dredge Builders Warehouse
His pumps fit a regular 3/4 inch keyed shaft engine which is alot cheaper than a threaded shaft engine.Get one opened all the way up and get a 7hp robin subaru engine and it will run a strong 4 and will run a 5 if not at high altitude and not going over 10-15 feet deep.I run one on a 5 inch at about 3/4 throttle.Engine and pump cost me around $650. I got my engine at smallenginewarehouse.com not sure but I think they may have lost contract with robin subaru.Get the EX21 engine.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spencer builds to your specks, just call him. Or figure out what you are going to do for flotation first then ask what to do next. Look at Dahlke for their prices, haha Doug :hello2: not to buy. You have $1500 to spend so think about it. Get your box first & then build the dredge around it so everything matches up perfectly. If you get your floats for free like the 5-gal barrels we use now, you should be able to build a decent dredge for well under $1500. I've never bought from Alan but he has a good rep so check him out and compare the prices for a used pump from Pioneer or somewhere. You should be able to get a p150 for cheap but they are perfect for a 3". 15' of suction hose can be bought from any local rubber supply house for probably $20.00 give or take. Always start with the box and then build from there. Spencer has punch plate or whatever ask him about an over/ under. If you build it right the first time then it will have great resale value.

ALSO!!! you can have him build a box to fit the Keene flare, just talk to him, the guy makes quality.

You said something about a highbanker as well so do it up right like we do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed,but what do u think about the pros and cons regarding Crashbox vs. Jet Flare..??

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus you can get some 3" muffler pipe and make your own tip for the hose for a buck or so. Just have them crimp it & then cut it at the crimp. or do it yourself. I like to build everything myself so if you have more questions after you get the box, just ask.

OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And do u like the 16" width South Yuba Box better than the Keene 14" dredge box?? Or would the 16" be too large for a 3" dredge??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread