Need Help with first dredge build PLEASE!!!!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
tridge800

tridge800

Sep 4, 2012
Jamestown nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL,is that the answer to crash box vs. jet flair? Or better box? Or both?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only 6pm in Cali, call his cell phone now before 8pm pacific time, tell him what you want, if he needs more info tell him to call me.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be quite truthful
Box or cone really doesn't make that much difference
Both do quite well on a good box
Too much time worrying about stuff like that when your new to this
When your on your game in a few years then that would be more of the time to worry with such things

This is one of the reason why it's good for ya to have a factory standard machine and not something custom built
When your new to this
The ground your working is so much more important

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
In response to your question, Reed hasn't cared much for Dahlke in the past but I have an older 4" and for smaller water I love it. It will float in about the same space as the 2" Keene I started with. If you're trying to stay around $1500 You'll probably have to buy used or build one. Reed is a great info source and has a lot of experience so what he says is good info.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Doug, yea my Dahlke was the bad year for them with the motor problems & everything, but all in all, with the mods that I made and the new powerjet that Bob sent, it was an excellent unit when I got finished rebuilding it to my standards. But it was a completely different dredge then what he had originally sold to me. Still, I would buy another one now from him since the bugs are all gone, put on my own damper, air hose & run with it. That was the year that he had his own compressor also... Definitely not a good year back then in 2004. Thankfully Zooka sent me his tri-jet and we were able to run in 2005. Here's an old pic from our 49erMike moderators retreat

DSCF0014.JPG
Zooka and I {pic above}

Photo0.jpg
{above pic}Left to Right, Reed, Mike H, Dave B or Zooka, Dave F or Vortexrex

FH000022.JPG

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day when we used to take pictures and write stories... Now I make movies, it's all good. The movies take a lot less time but I still have all of those old stories and pictures here on my pc. Should I post some?

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice photos Reed

Man that thing looks like space ship
Is it overunder setup or just a straight box?
Wish I could see some break down photos

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks

How does she work
Looks interesting
I sure like my keene boxes thou I'd be worrying with the single box set up
They have a bit of a learning curv but wok well if ya pay attention to what's makes them work
I find a lot of people who don't like them they think they load the under box up
When ya first look I had the same impression but with some research they actually were not loading up
Just in the first of the drop area but the riffles were doing like they should be

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dovetail riffles with the added width worked surprisingly well. Better than any other single stage that I had ever seen. So we made our own riffles for the 6" with the dovetails built in. We spaced them a little farther apart and changed the angles a bit to our liking. I would buy it over a Keene mini anytime because you are getting a better unit with great recovery for a lot less money. That's the only difference that I see these days, Proline and Keene have almost doubled their prices with the raise in gold prices where Bob has kept his Dahlke Dredges at basically the same prices he has years ago. But he is in Washington where you can still dredge, where the California companies have lost over 60% of their business with the California dredge ban.
And now it has come to light that our State Government banned dredging to take the gold out of the peoples hands for themselves. They have started taking peoples claims, and now are dredging themselves under the guise of removing mercury and other things. So they have made gold mining illegal for all citizens but have turned around and started gold mining themselves in secret. One of my friends actually had his gold mine shut down by the state now. They told him that gold in his mine was now part of the California State Gold Reserves and shut him down legally, their way. So our state government has really been crossing the line into our forests with fines, armed rangers, shutting down mines, making gold miners all look like criminals, and all the while they have been starting to gold mine others claims now for the state itself under some other hidden agendas.
See "Wild Injustice" for yourself. A legal placer mining operation's owners being told lies and made to look like criminals on national TV. The fish shown dead in the movies were put in there just to help the State of California's Department of Fish and Shame condemn dredging in our state. The fish had nothing to do with the dredging video at all and were video clips taken from other area's and then secretly added into these movies to make us all out to look like murderers and thieves.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed - I saw the second vid. before, but not the first. Fish and Shame - that covers it. Won't be surprised, the next video, they shoot the miners and claim
"environmental self-defense"

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's sick

Makes me view all the fellons differently
Wonder how many times we bought the governments side to crap like this in other situations

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
im really suprised that the f&g cop allowed his name and picture to be allowed! if it wasnt for the tv show and what came from it he wouldnt of allowed his picture taken! ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh for the love of holliwood!someone get my sunglass' MAKE UP!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sick

Makes me view all the fellons differently
Wonder how many times we bought the governments side to crap like this in other situations
Yes, the gov't side, the politicians side, the beauracratic report side, the enviros side, the district attorneys side - on and on.
Sorry, way off topic!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread