Keene dredge age question

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you can adapt pontoons to/from any era to any frame. Many frankensteins around. Simple over/under much preferable to convaluted 3 way,just remove that 3rd stage and run as much easier to control the under and many less box pileups. You also run the engine slower. Honda is a name and not a hp or gpm of the pumps and without that info no real answer ever possible. I much prefer briggs anyhow but to each his own as not my bill to fix. No need for dual engines on a 4" anyhow as 5.5-6.5-8hp will tear your fingers up and fill that box just fine with much less gas usage. Then you haul in much less gas,less weight,less problems and less costs.John

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys for your input, I'm actually looking at buying a used Keene 5" and it has dual engines which I guess means better suction. I'm just a little nervous buying something used for the price they're going for. HJ, I was looking at the 3-stage because here in WA there is mostly fine-superfine gold. But if I end up getting it I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 way is nothing but a simple o/u with garbage on top and forces you to use a huge amount of water to run. Whatever you do KEEP THE DISCHARGE OUT OF THE WATER as your under on any dredge will not clean right and fill up with black sands,lead and shot. Check with your state dredge permit folks as size matters everywhere almost nowadays. Where a 4" is acceptable a 5" might not be without specials,extra costs. Just check to cover your investment and have a ball as that is all that matters in this short run called life-John

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Could neck it down at the nozzle, keeps the plugs down and you would have boo coo suction, wouldn't bother me as long as you are getting it for a good good price. If your regs say 4 max, your probably buying too much dredge, If you can go up to a six, I would be a new hose and jet and move up.

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Washington allows 4" in most rivers. 5" in some. It also states in the regs that you can run a hose up to 1" larger then your intake nozzle size

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions