TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok definitely going to transform my 33"x8" sluice into a mini highbanker. Iv'e seen some videos of this guy running a medium to big sized highbanker with either 1 or 2 3700gph bilge pumps! And it works great! He gets 4 hours of run time too. Now I don't know yet what battery he's using at the moment but looks like an ordinary 12v car battery. His sluice is 12". So I guess with my 8" sluice I could probably go with a 2000-3000gph bilge pump? I'm using carpet, expanded metal, and 1/2" metal riffles. I want to keep it small for good portability. Here is a picture with a general idea of what I want to fabricate. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463223654.710086.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I don't know yet what battery he's using at the moment but looks like an ordinary 12v car battery.

PLEASE do not use a car battery for anything other than starting-type things. They're meant for short, high-power bursts of energy. What you want is a deep cycle battery. They're designed to be discharged deeply on a regular basis, but still there are limits. Do a web search for "deep cycle battery" pdf. Read through a couple of those. That should give you good info to go by.

There is a lighter battery out there - a lithium-variety battery, but not sure if any are made for deep-cycle purposes. If so, they would be MUCH lighter, but also very much more expensive and more difficult to come by.

With the kind of gold you're finding, it'd be worth it to eventually invest in enough batteries to keep you going all day times 2. Batteries prefer to be charged slowly. Even batteries that are listed as "fast charge" or "quick charge" have the capacity to charge quickly, but will last longer (lifetime-wise) if charged more slowly. That would mean multiple battery chargers, but that'd be ok as small chargers do not cost very much, especially online.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I don't know yet what battery he's using at the moment but looks like an ordinary 12v car battery.

PLEASE do not use a car battery for anything other than starting-type things. They're meant for short, high-power bursts of energy. What you want is a deep cycle battery. They're designed to be discharged deeply on a regular basis, but still there are limits. Do a web search for "deep cycle battery" pdf. Read through a couple of those. That should give you good info to go by.

There is a lighter battery out there - a lithium-variety battery, but not sure if any are made for deep-cycle purposes. If so, they would be MUCH lighter, but also very much more expensive and more difficult to come by.

With the kind of gold you're finding, it'd be worth it to eventually invest in enough batteries to keep you going all day times 2. Batteries prefer to be charged slowly. Even batteries that are listed as "fast charge" or "quick charge" have the capacity to charge quickly, but will last longer (lifetime-wise) if charged more slowly. That would mean multiple battery chargers, but that'd be ok as small chargers do not cost very much, especially online.

So, any brand that you might know about? Thanx for the info!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno. Never been shopping for batteries in the Caribbean. ...Hadn't even been to the Caribbean for that matter. Wouldn't know what to expect.

I know Optima batteries are very good, but I, personally, never seem to be in that purchasing range when buying a battery. Most any deep cycle battery will do. I'd probably go for the cheapest, as accidental "do" occasionally happen. As you plan to transport these back and forth, I'd probably go cheaper over anything else. I don't know what would be best in the Lithium batteries, though; completely unfamiliar with them, other than one I have that's meant for starting lawnmowers and motorcycles (not a deep cycle). Lithiums require special chargers, which are also usually more expensive.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this on ebay. Deep cycle, 55ah, seems more of what I need I think. 98 bucks. I'll keep searching to help me better understand what I need though!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463244751.891168.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today it was a good day! Not so productive like last time but I enjoyed my full day of gold fever! I prospected from 8-11:00am, did like 3.5 full buckets and found some gold. I started my custom mini highbanker project too. Not bad for trying my first attempt at fabricating! All aluminum and joined with aluminum angles and rivets. Now to start the hopper!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463360136.649249.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463360161.157559.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463360185.855238.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463360440.654562.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang, that IS some purdy gold!! Nice and coarse! ...Be careful who you talk to about it - you might set off a modern-day gold rush. Next thing you know, Discovery channel will have a new reality show; Gold Rush Caribbean.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L O L!!!!!! You guys! That's a good one!!!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485797848.619153.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485797864.621254.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485797880.169659.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485797894.544677.jpg
This is an old thread I started a while ago. So I wanted to use this same thread to address my status. This is the pump I just got for my 8"x36" highbanker/dredge combo. The pump has 2"inlets. I'm about to buy this pump online. Yes the pump is for a key'd 3/4" shaft. It's just the bolt cycle pattern where you bolt the pump to the motor is what I'm not sure if it will fit or has the same size? What u guys think?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
1) Measure horizontally from center of hole to center of hole on both the pump and engine. If these measure the same, go to #2
2) Measure vertically from center of hole to center of hole on both pump and engine. If these measure the same, go to #3
3) Unbolt coupling plate from back side of pump and, using bolts that are 1" longer (or whatever length required) than the thickness of the coupling plate bolt holes, bolt coupling plate to engine.
4) Reattach pump to coupling plate and bolt back together.

...And somewhere in all that, don't forget to put the key in the slot when attaching the pump to engine.

As you say you have not ordered pump yet, make the above measurements to your engine and check the mounting specs for the pump. They should be the same.

Once all done, prime pump with water and fill engine with gas and oil (respectively). Make sure to put the water in the pump and not the engine! :laughing7:

And finally, get your unit up and running so you can post some pics of all that gold!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern Tool Item# 109271
2 7/16in.L, 3/4in. straight keyed shaft, 5/16in.-24 tapped hole and 3 5/8in. bolt circle
most 3 to 5 HP engines have the same bolt pattern.
download the spec. sheet here;
Semi-Trash Water Pump ONLY — For Straight Keyed Shafts, 2in. Ports, 7860 GPH

once it's up and running, test and break it in at home instead on the river.

Yes thats exactly the one I'll be getting! I also sent a message to them to see if it bolts to my Tecumseh.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485865719.914628.jpg
This was this past sunday. Nothing prettier than flakes and pickers appearing at the bottom of your gold pan! [emoji14]

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's so far what I built as my nozzle. It's1.5" and I reduced the jet to 3/4". I think it'll work well with the 2" semi trash pump. It's still a work in progress.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485966193.515484.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485966228.936998.jpg

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished! Now I need to glue this thing up!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485998456.486022.jpg

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486641939.607518.jpg
Pump attached to the engine. Can't wait to finish things up!!!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'll be using 1.5" hoses for my setup. But I was planning on leaving the intake side of the pump with a 2" hose. Seems I can't find 2" hoses locally. Can I reduce to 1.5" the suction side without any problems?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would keep a 2" suction hose if at all possible, but you should have no worries going from 2" to 1.5" on the output.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread