TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461524855.326959.jpg
Where can I find or what do I need to make this engine a water pump?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on what kind of pump you want.
A trash pump will bolt right to it.
A high pressure dredge pump will require a impeller for a keyed shaft instead of a threaded shaft. I know Keene sells them.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
okbasspro is correct and youll need the specs from the new pump........will it need a tapered shaft. Im assuming this engine has a straight shaft that's got a keyway in it. then youll need a pedestal pump and a Lovejoy coupling between the two. do you already have the engine? If not it may be just as cheap to buy a eng/pump already together like OK said. What are you planning on the pump for??Highbanker ,dredge , ETC.????? that makes a BIG difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be used as a dredger and high banker. More of a dredger I'd say. But I imagine you would have different equipment for their different uses? Am I right?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a keyed shaft call Keene you can order a p180 pump for a keyed shaft and run up to a 4" dredge and the biggest highbanker you and 4 buddies can feed. It will meet all your looking for.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There are combination dredge/highbankers that are manufactured. I suppose if you had/made a float system, you could break down the highbanker and move it over to the floats, only without the legs.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it have a keyed shaft or threaded
for keyed shaft you can get one with a keyed stub or freestanding and connect with a love-joy or belt and pulley
a high pressure dredge pump will run $450+ require a footvalve to hold the prime
310 GMP Free Standing Centrifugal Pump: Keene Engineering Online
Dahlke Dredge MFG - Gold Dredges
or you can get a semi-trash pump for around $100
you can get 3" and reduce the outlet down to 2"
Semi Trash Water Pump Only for Straight Keyed Shafts 3in Ports 14,265 GPH 109281 | eBay
or 2"
Semi Trash Water Pump Only for Straight Keyed Shafts 2in Ports 7860 GPH 109271 | eBay

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does it have a keyed shaft or threaded
for keyed shaft you can get one with a keyed stub or freestanding and connect with a love-joy or belt and pulley
a high pressure dredge pump will run $450+ require a footvalve to hold the prime
310 GMP Free Standing Centrifugal Pump: Keene Engineering Online
Dahlke Dredge MFG - Gold Dredges
or you can get a semi-trash pump for around $100
you can get 3" and reduce the outlet down to 2"
Semi Trash Water Pump Only for Straight Keyed Shafts 3in Ports 14,265 GPH 109281 | eBay
or 2"
Semi Trash Water Pump Only for Straight Keyed Shafts 2in Ports 7860 GPH 109271 | eBay

Yeah I've seen some great bargains on ebay! I have a 28" x8" sluice that I'm going to add 3' of more sluice. I have the materials and equipment to do so. I think the sluice will be almost 6' in lenght by 8" wide. So how much of a pump should I need?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The question is what size nozzle are you going to run? Will it be a jet dredge or a suction nozzle dredge it does make a difference.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful about the cheap deals you find. I ordered a 3" water pump that read as though it was self-priming. It wasn't. In fact, I got the suction hose full of water and to within a few inches of the pump, and with the pump primed, but it STILL wouldn't draft water! As the engine had gas in it, it could no longer be returned. So now I have an engine with nothing to use it on. :dontknow:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be careful about the cheap deals you find. I ordered a 3" water pump that read as though it was self-priming. It wasn't. In fact, I got the suction hose full of water and to within a few inches of the pump, and with the pump primed, but it STILL wouldn't draft water! As the engine had gas in it, it could no longer be returned. So now I have an engine with nothing to use it on. :dontknow:

Did you put water in pump first? I have several trash pumps and you have to have water in pump for them to self prime.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question is what size nozzle are you going to run? Will it be a jet dredge or a suction nozzle dredge it does make a difference.

A 2- 2.5" suction nozzle my friend. I really dont want to go overboard with huge sluices, big pumps ect. Something in the low to mid range I believe?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Originally Posted by kcm
Be careful about the cheap deals you find. I ordered a 3" water pump that read as though it was self-priming. It wasn't. In fact, I got the suction hose full of water and to within a few inches of the pump, and with the pump primed, but it STILL wouldn't draft water! As the engine had gas in it, it could no longer be returned. So now I have an engine with nothing to use it on.

Originally posted by okbasspro
Did you put water in pump first? I have several trash pumps and you have to have water in pump for them to self prime.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KCM try putting a new seal in it they are cheap and may solve your issue. I have seen impellers come loose and cause same issue. Or plant matter stuck in pump.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, would a jet nozzle be better than a suction nozzle? I mean you would have to fit a "Y" pipe near the sluice making it easier to maneuver than the suction nozzle? Any one?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a thought, would a jet nozzle be better than a suction nozzle? I mean you would have to fit a "Y" pipe near the sluice making it easier to maneuver than the suction nozzle? Any one?[/QUOTE
Suction nozzle is for shallow water. Jet is for deeper water as it has to be submerged at orifice to work right. The nozzle on a jet dredge must be kept underwater or you loose prime and shoot high pressure water through sluice (aka goodbye gold ). This does not happen with a suction nozzle.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about electric pumps? How many psi would I need to work with 1.5"- 2" piping? 50-100psi?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread