First Dredge!

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well remember golden rule if you make adventure easy then you'll wrk your ass off for lil instead of pulling right up maybe park 50' an pack in. It like camping you can hike an camp or you can car camp. But have a blast an may yeller flow .

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hike my gear 2 miles it take a bit to get camp up but it there for a month or so .I enjoy the peice an quiet. But we all mine are own way but still same we get gold.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hike my gear 2 miles it take a bit to get camp up but it there for a month or so .I enjoy the peice an quiet. But we all mine are own way but still same we get gold.

I drive 2500 miles round trip I dont want to spend time humping in my equipment plus I just got DANG lucky in finding that claim.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a pic of the nozzle finally.
IMG_3535.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep...dang near like my first 3 inch yellow pontooned Keene. Been running twin engined 5 inchers for many years and don't look back. That's a "jet nozzle" designed for shollower water and even out of stream bedrock pockets with the addition of water...re: that hundred feet of layflat blue hose. With a jet nozzle you can remove the nozzle end from water and move to another spot without having a big problem with your sluice like you get by removing a power nozzle/jet log system. I think in time you will know what I mean when you see it happening..HA! Your jet nozzle setup will work better in some ways and visa-versa for power nozzle setups. One "pushes" the flow/material thru many feet of hose the other sucks it . One picture is worth...so here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jet...sAQIcw&biw=1280&bih=699#imgrc=q4fhyA3dDwVJlM:
You'll find out fast enough about blockages thru-out your system and will want a rubber mallet and a five or six foot 1/2 piece of plumbing pipe to dislodge those plug ups. (thats what the little hole is for at the riffle side of the crashbox, the hammer is for beating along the hose for plugs.) Anywhere you have a bend or reduced spot is a potential problem spot.
Guess I should let you make your final payment before telling you to start saving more money...HA! BUT when you get tired of kickin', cussin' and throwing that Briggs and Stratton, carberator malfunctioning, valve bending tempermental piece of backward engineered motor into the creek STEP UP to a 5.5 Honda/pump and really suck some dirt. By the way, I think you will find that pump has a plastic impeller inside it and probably impossible to locate a replacement. Now, on the more pleasant side of things...crash boxes are great pieces of a darn good working sluice box...perhaps better than my flare/3 stage sluice (modern???).
I've used a INNER TUBE 4inch dredge in our creek...not bad, not great but pontoons are very spendy so just to get you on the right track and with a little garage/tool/hardware time:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blu...=RTCxWKC3LIijjwTCyYTABg#imgrc=wgIGdGPZz4NpLM:

I used to be lucky and was able to test my dredge at the community swimming pool (good friends of the park manager). Saves alot of anguish when you find a missing part or bad fitting,etc. Now I'm even luckier...live year around on our 40 acres and watch the creek from my window...and even then I'll have to shut down and come back for a part now and then. It's a ***** when you have 30 or 100 miles to fetch something that only costs a couple of bucks. Set up your tool/spare parts box wisely. Duct tape and two-part epoxy are a MUST HAVE!!!! HA!
ALL in all you will have day after day of joy with your new friend and of course while waiting for the snow to melt I'm sure if you search this and other sites you will gain more tips than will fit in yur noggin.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/qQiUJ9fwgsk
The inner tube should be filled with just enough air to float, to much air, like in that video, makes it even more unstable. The frame in the video above is the perfect size for your dredge.

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true. I remember 2yrs ago ia Freund dropped oil plug in water well it gone. An Boise 5 hr drive. Now I carry every part for motor or pump. Enjoy new toy great learner tool or for the kids. Enjoy the adventure an may yeller flow

Attachments

• 1488036044543.jpg
    1488036044543.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 102

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ME TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the time I drive for 5 - 16 hours to get to where I really like to dredge and forgetting something REALLY BOTHERS ME! And Ive helped quit a few other guys that did forget something! Im also known to be called the portable hardware store!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One time I lost my footvalve, it is possible to get it running without it but boy is it monkey business.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
It depends on what kind of pump you have. Ive heard that some pump doesent need a foot valve to keep it primed.........I don't know what kind that is BUT...

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I've said before. Enjoy the Adventure nothing better than being with mother nature.🇺🇸

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked one of these inner tube 2.5” dredges myself a few weeks ago. Didnt have hoses or nozzle and the motor was seized. Got it pretty cheap. Fixed everything and took it out last weekend. Pump is sealed up and moves water really well, but it turns out the ignition coil on the 3hp briggs is bad. Luckily i also brought my old 3”, so still got some suction time in. Mine is a little older than yours, it doesnt have the flared hose inlet on the crash box. Otherwise it’s all the same. I’d put a pic up, but it wont work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread