Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, I run my Deus next to and right under (literally 6" away) from a live electric fence and run it next to a high voltage transformer on the one property. I have no problem w emi. Note to self: bumping into the fence is an ooey! Ouchy!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Minelab is playing us then this comes from the Manual.
The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes
because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields.
However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended.
If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce
ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt
levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by
sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard
up and down motion.

vferrari;5718845]So turn on and go means don't read the simple quick start instructions?

Reactivity is Deus terminology. At one point ML was even using it in its early Equinox literature.

The ability to adjust recovery is a great feature that allows you to trade off depth vs. ability to separate keepers from trash. No free lunch.

Depth isn't everything, but it's hard to tell a CTX 3030 owner that. Lol.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm dense. What point are you trying to make? You've lost me, are you arguing that you shouldn't have to GB, the GB instructions are NOT straight forward, it is not a Grab n Go machine, what?

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus and electric fence boxes (not fences) will drive it mad. Been there and done that way too many times.
So if the electric fence box is inside and old house you plan to hunt. Either turn off the box if you can or haul azz and go somewhere else to hunt.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think it's being at the right place at the right time. And knowing your machine. As far as price goes, after that first rare Confederate button, gold coin or such it's all equal anyway. It seems the EQ was designed as an all around machine. In a month people will know more. For those who expect stuff to magically jump out of the ground at them, well, don't think that's in the game. Negatives, It's nose heavy and for us old toads, that will knock off time in the field. We old toads kind of physically collapse after a few hours digging.

In part, "nose heavy", one reason why I so love the small coils.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because there is no need to noise cancel if you don't have noise. Also with minelabs no need to ground balance if not needed either the reason it is default 0.

I would respectfully disagree, on a minelab noise cancel is just part of a process, just as pressing a power button to turn it on, what's say 8 seconds or so?, that's when I put on my gloves. Ground balance? Well, your are correct if it has "Auto Ground Balance". In a Multi-Freq. machine it will I believe select the proper GB itself, you CAN choose to do it in manual, but since the machine is smarter than I am anyway, I let it take care of that.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would respectably disagree, on a minelab noise cancel is just part of a process, just as pressing a power button to turn it on, what's say 8 seconds or so?, that's when I put on my gloves. Ground balance? Well, your are correct if it has "Auto Ground Balance". In a Multi-Freq. machine it will I believe select the proper GB itself, you CAN choose to do it in manual, but since the machine is smarter than I am anyway, I let it take care of that.

Equinox does have auto ground balance (manually initiated) and auto GB tracking capability but none of the modes have it on by default except Gold Mode which uses tracking. Manual across the board (except gold mode) with different default manual GB settings for each mode. Note that GB is a local setting for each mode which means you have to set it up individually for each mode and potentially rebalance if you change modes on the fly (and can save a different default GB number or save auto GB as the default for each mode as desired). You may actually get wildly different GB numbers at the exact spot depending upon which mode you are ground balancing in (see the above mode depth test video). I plan on doing a lot of experimentation between using tracking vs manual/auto GB.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the loot, Equinox 800 best detector made ever by anyone. With the wireless, headphone module and wateproofing and PERFORMANCE!

Can find any types of targets.

I have 45 hours in the field, 22 hours testing. Have owned 2 CTXs, have 3 Deus, had f75, Makro racers 1 and 2, Nokta Impact, 2 etracs, XS explorer, aka signum and sorex, detecth chaser, deeprech warrior, white's v3i, rutus alter 71.

Hard to beat the Nox for a one detector setup.
Hunts modern trash and iron, beaches, salt water, seems to perform in higher mineralization.

What else compares??
I see nothing.
I know that you don't say that you've owned an Excal but from your knowledge of Minelab machines...do you think the Equinox can compete with the depth of a stock Excal in saltwater...not expecting a definitive answer, just your opinion...thanks...if the Eqinox is comparableto the depth of my CZ21, Im getting one.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that you don't say that you've owned an Excal but from your knowledge of Minelab machines...do you think the Equinox can compete with the depth of a stock Excal in saltwater...not expecting a definitive answer, just your opinion...thanks...if the Eqinox is comparableto the depth of my CZ21, Im getting one.

I can't say.
There are a few vids though comparing the 2 in sand depth tests.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the loot, Equinox 800 best detector made ever by anyone. With the wireless, headphone module and wateproofing and PERFORMANCE!

Can find any types of targets.

I have 45 hours in the field, 22 hours testing. Have owned 2 CTXs, have 3 Deus, had f75, Makro racers 1 and 2, Nokta Impact, 2 etracs, XS explorer, aka signum and sorex, detecth chaser, deeprech warrior, white's v3i, rutus alter 71.

Hard to beat the Nox for a one detector setup.
Hunts modern trash and iron, beaches, salt water, seems to perform in higher mineralization.

What else compares??
I see nothing.

That's A LOT of hours on multiple machines to truly learn each one!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox does have auto ground balance (manually initiated) and auto GB tracking capability but none of the modes have it on by default except Gold Mode which uses tracking. Manual across the board (except gold mode) with different default manual GB settings for each mode. Note that GB is a local setting for each mode which means you have to set it up individually for each mode and potentially rebalance if you change modes on the fly (and can save a different default GB number or save auto GB as the default for each mode as desired). You may actually get wildly different GB numbers at the exact spot depending upon which mode you are ground balancing in (see the above mode depth test video). I plan on doing a lot of experimentation between using tracking vs manual/auto GB.

Well ya, I kinda think that's what I "wanted" to say......just didn't use enough words, or the right ones.......it was early, hadn't had first cup of coffee yet......OK, I'd go with what vferrari said..........his post is way better......

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think this thread is beat to death. Anyone who owns one who wants to share real life digging experiences please do so. Talking about theoreticals is getting old. Let's see the results. I personally don't need a video, I'll take your word for what you get or don't get, descriptions are fine. It's time to get out and play with the new toys. Lots of people are getting the machines now. Theoretical needs to be over, it's getting nowhere without a machine in hand, and field work is needed.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And please please please no more "Air" test?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And please please please no more "Air" test?

Why, haven't you seen coins floating in the air!....LOL:laughing9: I have yet to see one myself.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youtuber Gigmaster has a video showing a chatter issue his nox is having but other then that he has nothing but good things to say about it. I ordered mine a few days ago because the overwhelming positives from field test .

So... apparently this chatter issue is unique to Gigamaster? Nobody else here has experienced that or heard of someone else experiencing it?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll have to keep an eye out for it but it could be an isolated case of transient EMI sending his machine into la la land.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found some vids on Youtube of the Equinox in salt wet sand...Im not impressed...my AT Pro does better at the beach than the tests Ive seen so far.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is unquestionably a better choice for you. Congrats.

Since there are no links provided in your post can you elaborate on what “does better” means. Looking for any excuse to cancel my order and will listen to any logical, compelling reason to do so. Thanks.

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found some vids on Youtube of the Equinox in salt wet sand...Im not impressed...my AT Pro does better at the beach than the tests Ive seen so far.
I haven't had a chance to swing the Equinox at the beach yet, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the AT Pro is absolutely horrible on a saltwater beach.

Went out with a buddy of mine to the Atlantic last year. I was swinging a Deus, v3.2, and he had his AT Pro. Now in cellar holes and old Colonial farmland, he can pretty much keep up with me. He knows his machine inside and out. That being said, he couldn't hang when it came to the wet sand. He did do a little better on the dry sand, however. But all in all, even with me running the old v3.2 on the Deus, I absolutely spanked that booty. He never cared to go back to do any beach hunting after that.

So take it for what it's worth.

I will be taking my Deus v4.1 to the beach soon to put it against the Nox 800, just to see how they both fare in those particular conditions. But if I had an AT Pro, from what I've personally seen, I wouldn't waste my gas driving down to the beach to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions