I heart trash. A testiment to the Equinox.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piggybacking on Dan(NM)'s new friendship with trashy sites, I took the Equinox out to one of the worst spots I have ever been to. It's an old tennis court that was built in 1935 surrounded by a wooded area. The site is littered with 80+ years of trash, from the tennis courts. Mostly chain link pieces from the court fence and zillions of pull tabs and slaw from tennis ball cans. It is an absolute nightmare that my MXT could not handle, even with the 6" coil, and a great place to test the Equinox.

I started right up against the concrete base of the fence line. By the way, my MXT couldn't get within about a foot and a half of this fence line without screaming. Park 2, 21 sens, 2 iron bias, 5 recovery. The machine gun beeps started as I swung and within 5 or 6 swings I easily picked out a high tone, 24/25. The thing I was amazed with is how tight I could swing over this target, which was surrounded by trash. I was swinging maybe 2 inches side to side and the Equinox was locked on to it. 6" 1921 S wheat. A little later, 25/26, another wheat among the trash. A few more feet I get a 26/27, a 1939 merc with a small nail and piece of aluminum in the same hole. How could trash ever be so fun. It was almost too easy.

Before digging each coin I would test a few things out. First, was all metal mode. I actually found that the high tones were better-defined with iron disc'd out. In all metal, sometimes the iron tones would dominate the high tone, making it a little harder to hear. I also was experimenting with recovery speeds and found 5 to be best at this spot and for my swing speed. I was swinging pretty lax. At 8, I had to increase my swing speed to a level I'm not comfortable with yet to get the high tone to pop from the trash. At 3 or lower, the high tone was not as well-defined or one-way. There was trash every couple inches here.

I know where I am going tomorrow. Another trashy site that I have avoided like the plague. Never thought I would say something like that.

Edit: One tip is to tighten up those swings when investigating targets with this machine. The VIDs seem to come in better in some situations.

28958543_10211547632187720_1095428745965076480_o.jpg

IMAG2031_1.jpg

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Nox success story.
Congrats
Thanks for sharing.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. How long of a hunt was this?

penggali

Jan 30, 2018
WA
Detector(s) used
AT pro W. 5x8 DD coil.
Equinox (soon?)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find! Great job picking through that trash to find the silver. thanks for the tip with adjusting the recovery speed, I will definitely try that on my hunt tomorrow as I am headed to a very trashy and iron infested site.
-P

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. How long of a hunt was this?

Not long, maybe 45 minutes. Going back tomorrow to finish the perimeter, then off to another site. I'm excited.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a super hunt Echo! I fall more in love with my NOX every day!:occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt Echo. I was not at a trashy site but my latest hunt was an eye opener - in a good way. HH

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't wait to try out my Nox on some of my trashy land sites...once these Nor' Easters stop messing with my hunting time! Thanks for your post Echo and congrats on the finds!

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I officially love this machine. After logging many hours over the past weeks I am feeling very comfortable with gauging depth by a combination of sound and by lifting my coil over a target. I rarely use the pinpoint function anymore. Just tighten that swing over the target. Anyway, today I spent my lunch at a park that was established around the turn of the century. In the 1980s they installed picnic tables and grills all around, so nearly 40 years of junk layer above the good stuff. The trash is simply too dense for my other machine. The Equinox had zero problems here. In between all the machine-gun beeps I got two high-tones. A 9" Indian and a 9" 1893-O Barber dime. Two targets, two coins, 20 minutes swinging. This thing rips.

Indian-cent.jpg

Barber-Dime.jpg

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats guys contemplating buying the Nox 800. You do realize that we are coming close to the time when these places will truly be hunted out due to technology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread