Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looking for wet and dry sand depth with the Equinox 800

I'm a Pi guy at heart as I don't like the feeling of leaving anything behind or missing out on something just because of a few inches. My primary hunting is on beaches just to find myself a reale since I'm just south of the treasure coast.

I haven't even opened my 800 as I'm not sure if it'll be strong enough on wet sand or dry sand to hit those deep old coins.

Looking for advice or experiences of depth.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 600, on Jones Beach, Long Island, NY, gave me approximately 9" on a Mercury dime in the shallow low tide surf. I will never use my Tesoro Sand Shark again, in fact, it's been sold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help, I had a PI and sold it, it was too heavy for me. Terry is the master of the Tesoso, but mine has found it's share of gold. I dug a nice man's 14k ring with diamonds at about a foot in wet sand. I kinda think the PI's will always go deeper. At the paid Va digs, the PI is king. (BTW I hate a big aluminum can at 15" or more.) Wears you out.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I also have been using PI. But my dual field is up for sale and so is the wife's sea hunter 2, I've seen enough experienced people give the nox a good review. That's good enough for me, is maybe time to keep up with technology ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is a tide line MONSTER. I call it Noxtradamus. See my thread heare: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...nds-some-gold-but-ain-t-half.html#post5736518

I was hitting deep (7+ inches to 15 inches) coins of ALL denominations including Nickels. Had my sand scoop because I was not planning on digging the wet sand until I started getting hits all up the line. These were deep coins that had been lingering for awhile. They were slimy. These were the coins the water hunters ignore because they are out wading deeper and the VLF hunters cannot get to because their machines have lowered sensitivities and/or chatter too much in wet salt sand. Impressive to me and it has opened up a whole new beach ballgame for me. The tide line will not be ignored from here on out. And I am bringing my water scoop whenever I have Noxtradamus with me at the beach. I was blown away on the wet sand depth.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I also have been using PI. But my dual field is up for sale and so is the wife's sea hunter 2, I've seen enough experienced people give the nox a good review. That's good enough for me, is maybe time to keep up with technology ?

See I thought about that too but I’ve seen a lot of videos where every target is recovered in the first scoop. I’ll probably kick myself for not keeping it as I know a spot that I’ve never seen detected and would have a LOT of modern gold... but until I scratch that Reale itch... I think I’m just going to stick with the deeper Pi’s. It may sound silly but I feel like if I want a Reale, I’m going to have to earn it.

But that aside, I LOVE technology and keeping up with it. That’s why this is so hard. Haha

RelicsRings

Greenie
Mar 11, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4000, XP Deus, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I know I'm not ready to get rid of my PI machines yet. As far as the testing I've done, the Equinox will only come close to Infinium in depth. If I was only hunting in the surf it would be a no brainer, the Equinox is good enough to replace the Infinium. But in wet sand the TDI and GPX get far deeper than the Equinox, by as much as 6 inches. Not that I use the GPX on the beach that much, it's my relic machine, but I have tested against the Equinox. Also, on a trashy beach, hands down Equinox. IMO I still need both a PI and a VLF to cover my basis.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:

Have any more details about your Dual field for sale?? :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who here has EVER dug deeper than 12" in the wet saltwater sand for a target? If you did, what was it? We all know the VAST majority of good targets in the wet sand is 6"-8", so how important is depth after 12", really? :skullflag:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who here has EVER dug deeper than 12" in the wet saltwater sand for a target? If you did, what was it? We all know the VAST majority of good targets in the wet sand is 6"-8", so how important is depth after 12", really? :skullflag:

F8E9FA73-DED8-422A-9FBE-6B33CD5674F0.jpeg

Tungsten & Gold Rings @ 11-13” in wet sand. Depth is very important when the ocean does shoreline build up and gives us some extra sand we dont really want as beach detectorists.

Deep cuts like these are NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE

E2BB7D33-2FBC-48AA-9B1F-613E52BF5463.jpeg 13874042-2D4A-4D86-BE8B-50C36FA5CD94.jpeg

So DEPTH is a BIG DEAL if you hunt days other then low tide after a storm.

RelicsRings

Greenie
Mar 11, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4000, XP Deus, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

I have literally recovered 100's of good targets at 12" plus. Easily over 30 gold rings last year alone. If you don't know it's down there, how can you recover it? Now I'm not talking about in the surf or wading as it's almost impossible to dig that deep with the hole caving in. I'm talking about wet sand down by the waves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions