Has the Equinox made all single vlf machine obsolete??

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets put it in perspective, a couple of years ago, I purchased a Garrett AT Pro for 650.00! Up until now, no one offered (unless purchased used) a multi-frequency for $650.00, so no, the Etrac, CTX etc didn't make VLF obsolete due to price. Now I can get an Equinox 600 for the same 650.00 I paid for the AT Pro!

Sure, beginner/entry level machines will remain single frequency (for now), but Minelab's Equinox has introduced an industry shifting product that others will have to adapt to or go the way of the dinosaur. Rather then looking at it as a threat to your beloved brand you now own, look at what it will do to jump start a detector evolution! We all benefit, even if you don't like the Equinox!

Pretty much true; the Nox helps establish a new baseline in terms of features for price: multifrequency, fast, waterproof, wireless. I say "helps" because it isn't entirely alone; there are some other recent mid-priced detectors with similar features. The Kruzer is aimed at the same market segment and provides: selectable frequencies, fast, waterproof and wireless. Yes, some argue the Nox's Multi-IQ is inherently superior; but, we'll see--the Kruzer is apparently no slouch. The point is, there's no going back in terms of bang for the buck.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 stopped working when the equinox came out.... damn you minelab.

chub

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to be very much like the last election where there are those who have a very hard time excepting that the other guy won. Live with it folks the NOX is here to stay and very much close to the top of choices. Obsolete?, not exactly but being put out to pasture while the new guy runs things for a while.

The NOX may be here to stay, but as for your other guy, I'm thinking it wont be long now. As for being put out to pasture, I'm game, the Kruzer will crush it there too. I'm with Makro.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google keeps hitting me with Ads for the AT Pro. I can't help but laugh every time I see the price. Must be getting hard to get rid of these now.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 stopped working when the equinox came out.... damn you minelab.

chub

It hasn't stopped working, but it sure looked alot better a few years ago before the Deus and now the Equinox.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we need to define what "obsolete" means. Even though diesel-electric trains "obsoleted" steam locomotives, steam locomotives continued in use for some time.

If by "obsolete" we mean manufacturers will immediately stop producing them or users stop using them, then NO!

But will it bring about the eventual obsolescence of them, yes. Obsolescence: "The significant decline in the competitiveness or value of an article. Obsolescence occurs generally due to the availability of alternatives that perform better or are cheaper or both"

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hasn't stopped working, but it sure looked alot better a few years ago before the Deus and now the Equinox.

True, but for my conditions I just cant think that any other machine could really better it. Where do I hunt? Out in the desert at military camps. Depth of finds is mostly determined by prevailing winds and rainfall. I don't think Ive dug deeper than 6'' for my finds ( probably around 50-60% of the machines depth capability). I see an equinox in my future but right now Im tied up on a lucrative side business . No detecting for me.

Im also waiting for news from FT.

The price of some machines now ( when stacked up against the equinox) seem laughable. Not just the price , the weight and over all age. I see the equinox getting better and better as aftermarket coils and accessories become available. It may not have obsoleted vlf machines but I agree that is has set a sound benchmark with detector features/value of the future. The overall package of the equinox will help to make other detectors appear less appealing .

As mentioned before , I believe Minelab did a fairly good job of explaining their new tech. I believe it engaged buyers on a technical level - which is where more serious enthusiasts want to be engaged. Good service in replacing a broken coil bolt is one thing.....creating a versatile, multi frequency unit at a realistic price is something else.

There is no such thing as a one detector for every task, but I think the Equinox is about the best value true all rounder /most versatile there is right now.

chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread