Has the Equinox made all single vlf machine obsolete??

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so fast.

I read Nox took 5 years. And this was Minelab, a company who was already experienced with designing/engineering multi freq tech.

So how long might it take for a new comer company to multi freq to actual make one? Maybe we'll see, sometime.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only hunt one frequency at a time anyway right? So far no one is complaining about the NOX. Have to give thumbs up for that. There will always be knock offs, you will get what you pay for. I still dont think my Etrac is obsolete. Dont see my AT Pro going way of the dinosaur either. If you dont have a T2 or F75 then your missing those great machines too. Just swing what ya got and be happy. Now if anyone has a nox they want to donate to my retirement let me know.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 years from concept to product is pretty typical.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My money is on China! I was just on a website last night that has a bunch of clone detectors at the fraction of the cost!

When detect enable multichannel by long press on button. when change to a alone frequency long press half and release. for target see press and display make final number.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it has made single frequency VLF's in the same price range obsolete. Will people still buy them? Sure.. they watch diggers and think they need an AT Gold.

Anyone who is a beach hunter KNOWS the value of a multifrequency waterproof machine. The price they are asking is amazing... especially for the 600.

I can tell you the Equinox wipes the beach with my old AT Pro.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only hunt one frequency at a time anyway right? So far no one is complaining about the NOX. Have to give thumbs up for that. There will always be knock offs, you will get what you pay for. I still dont think my Etrac is obsolete. Dont see my AT Pro going way of the dinosaur either. If you dont have a T2 or F75 then your missing those great machines too. Just swing what ya got and be happy. Now if anyone has a nox they want to donate to my retirement let me know.

That's the difference with the Nox. It can hunt in 5 frequencies at once. Your E-trac isn't obsolete because it's multifrequency too, albeit not all 28 frequencies at once. If you didn't have the AT Pro or the Equinox and were looking to get a new detector in that price range, you would choose the AT Pro, Gold, or AT Max?? Really? To me, it's the same choice with the T2 and F75 vs. Nox......no contest.....Nox every time. Now if I already have one of those machines? Sure, I'll continue to use them....at least until I find that my hunting buddies using the Nox are beating my pants off. The Nox is just the next step in detector development. It helps find targets that other machines can't, or at least have a lot of trouble with. Easy, shallow targets can still be found by Harbor Freight models. It's the tough targets that separate the elite from the also-rans and the tie-breaker when choosing a machine.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a car....I still love riding horses......

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since 99% of my hunting is done on Florida beaches, my simple criteria for a metal detector finding its way into my house is multi-frequency and waterproof.

Yes, PI machines would meet my needs on the beach but at 70 years old, I really don't want to dig 20 inches in sand for a bobby pin...which I've done before and really didn't enjoy myself! :laughing7:

Will the EQX 800 have a spot in my hobby room? You betcha!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a car....I still love riding horses......

Which would you rather take in the rain? To work or the store? On a date to a restaurant?

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which would I want to have after the apocalypse?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding that, I have already made my reservation and I absolutely guarantee I will not need a metal detector. A U-Haul, maybe.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won,t starve....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which would I want to have after the apocalypse?

I'd still want the car. Someplace to sleep out of the rain if nothing else. I'd want to keep my detector and gun powder dry! Not necessarily in that order....:icon_thumleft:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can not eat a car.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could only eat the horse for a day or two till it went bad,( and maybe not even that long if others get wind of your horse BBQ) and then still be on foot and in the rain. The car could help hold and hide my provisions.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Cool to read through an MD comparison thread that took over a week to generate but that could be read in five minutes and to see exactly where it went weird. The apocalypse...lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread