Has the Equinox made all single vlf machine obsolete??

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll check it out later tonight. I've seen a few of your videos and enjoy the no B.S.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO the NOX has obsoleted most detectors with the multi IQ, but the Deus Elliptical using 74 kHz is hard to beat. There is something special about that Elliptical Coil. Separates and lifts the targets. Head to head against the Elliptical the NOX will probably shine, but we will have to see?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point right there I might have to jack the deus up to 74 kh to get it to compete. There are trade offs on the Deus when doing that. You will lose some unmasking capabilities on silver or higher conducters.. In other words you will miss some higher conducters when doing that....trade off.....

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point right there I might have to jack the deus up to 74 kh to get it to compete. There are trade offs on the Deus when doing that. You will lose some unmasking capabilities on silver or higher conducters.. In other words you will miss some higher conducters when doing that....trade off.....

That’s right.

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No point in debating Minelab's advertising slogans. The Kruzer is also out now, and it will be interesting to see how users feel about those two machines--Equinox and Kruzer--after having had them for awhile, given that they are both fast, modern, wireless, waterproof machines aimed at the same mid-priced segment.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not with this uncomfortable stem and unpleasant "ding dong" tones. It has not the best recovery speed (see nailboard test). There is no appropriate coil for trashy sites, except the tiny 6DD, which is a little bit too small for me (I like 9 inch more). There is no elliptical coil for better target separation. Equinox is maybe a good middle class detector, but not more.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure seems like it. Other then the real high frequency machines like the deus, when the question arises willy wonka metal detect.jpg , it shortened the answer. "Because I have Multi-IQ". Future is here boy's and girl's! Can only imagine what will be in the near future. Still boggles my mind why Minelab put the EQ's out there at such an affordable price point, but I'm glad they did:laughing7::icon_thumleft:.

I mean you got to ask yourself (which I have), why would I take my single frequency machine out, when I can take a machine out that is equivalent to 3 (600) or 5 (800) machine's all in one? Hunting time is short , so I want to the best advantage to find goodies, and cut down on digging trash.

I feel like a trader, trying to sell my AT. But that maybe the biggest shock as to what you can get for it, along with all other single frequency machines. And this basically happened over night! Don't get me wrong, love the AT, but also don't want it sitting there collecting dust.

When a newbie with a budget of $700 asks, "Which detector should I get?", what are you going to say now?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. There is no one machine for everyone.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys - it's not a contest, just go have fun. If you need or want or don't need and just want a new machine, just do it and most importantly HAVE FUN!

RELAX!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets put it this way, maybe the Equinox itself won't make all VLF machines obsolete, but it's technology is the future and other brands will be sure to adopt or license their own versions, which will eventually "obsolete" most all VLF machines.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not the point of it.... and you know it. Why do people upgrade ? They want better performance... Do detectors now perform better than the ones from the 70s? Its a leap forward and some us KNOW it and others will be slower to catch but none the less it is a leap forward and it increases your chances of finding targets in and around iron etc. Just like the Deus hf coils do when their run at the higher freqs in iron. Its not a contest smokey but when some of us are testing and using these machines are seeing performance enhancements . We then report it and here comes the naysayers and egg throwers. They have never even ran one. They don't like the word obsolete...

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cd, didn't mean to poke the bear. Even though I'm looking for dedicated "dry land", cordless detector, I'm not yet convinced this is the one. I think ML jaded me with the way this thing was rolled out. I do hope it is all that they claim and more. Keep posting what you have, maybe I'll bite.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which part of EVERY metal detector manufacturer in the world just got a call from 1980, saying "we want our technology back," don't a few of you understand?:coffee2:

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets put it this way, maybe the Equinox itself won't make all VLF machines obsolete, but it's technology is the future and other brands will be sure to adopt or license their own versions, which will eventually "obsolete" most all VLF machines.

Simultaneous multifrequency is not really new, Minelab has introduced it years ago with the Safari and Etrac. Have these detectors or other "revolutionary technologies" from Minelab made all other machines obsolete? Have some of the other manufacturers tried to copy these technologies? No, today most people still use single frequencies and there must be a reason for. I think with Multi-IQ it will be the same like with FBS, nice technology to have, but not really necessary to make good finds. The future will be to choose from multiple frequencies like with Deus, Nokta Impact or Rutus 71, but not necessarily to run them simultaneously.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's different is that the multi-freq capability has never been previously offered at this price point! THAT makes a HUGE difference to many, MANY people!

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jacza says.
"today most people still use single frequencies and there must be a reason for it "
It just takes some people longer than others, to catch on, that's all, don't feel bad. Have you watched any of calabash videos? Or do you watch them chanting
I don't want a nox,
I don't want a nox
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread