Has anyone heard anything about a small coil for the Equinox? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Has anyone heard anything about a small coil for the Equinox?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30417 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you get the two coils as extras, big and large and headphones, what are we talking $450 to $500 additional? The 9" coil would have made sense, oh well. The 6" coil makes sense for tight areas, not so much a 15" to go deeper. I'd think there wouldn't be an advantage to the larger one over the one the machine comes with. Can't tell right now.

I bought a larger coil once for my Tesoro Cibola but only got an advantage in really bad ground.
    Oddjob likes this.

ca
    Dec 2015
    Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    If you get the two coils as extras, big and large and headphones, what are we talking $450 to $500 additional? The 9" coil would have made sense, oh well. The 6" coil makes sense for tight areas, not so much a 15" to go deeper. I'd think there wouldn't be an advantage to the larger one over the one the machine comes with. Can't tell right now.

I bought a larger coil once for my Tesoro Cibola but only got an advantage in really bad ground.
    Equinox coils are smart....the bigger the smarter. They will sense when you need a bathroom break and kill the battery, forcing you to get out of the field to charge up and go to the bathroom.
    In fact if you put the daily crossword in front of the equinox coil and leave it on....don't be surprized if the crossword is completed when you get back...
    Oddjob, smokeythecat and mhess22 like this.
    Reading a manual can make you look real smart
    Not reading a manual...can just make you look not so smart.
    Telling people you can't read on a forum....just makes you look stupid.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3959 times
    I had e-mailed Minelab a month ago requesting that they come out with an 8" coil for the Equinox machines. For general hunting I find this the optimum size coil and for many years an 8" coil was the industry standard for general coin shooting. The race for "more depth" resulted in most manufacturers making 11" coils standard and although they may be deeper than an 8" coil they will never provide the separation and accuracy at normal (say to 10") depths. I was told they would have a six inch coil in late spring but they had no plans for an 8" coil. To me this sucks, I normally use an 8 incher on my Safari and ATP, and usually on my Infinium. I really don't like six inchers either, just too small. I don't understand why they are not considering making a wider coil selection for the Equinox like they did for the Explorer series. I really would like an Equinox 800, but may not get one until Coiltec or somebody else comes out with an 8" coil for these machines. Of course for me it may be a moot point since they seem to be a little lame about getting the 800s to market and I will certainly not pay an asinine price to get one now.
    sprailroad likes this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8688 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Extra separation may not be necessary with the super fast processor the Nox has. I'm more interested in coverage of large areas and would rather get a 15" coil than a smaller one.
    ​Avitech Associate

ca
    Dec 2015
    Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    I had e-mailed Minelab a month ago requesting that they come out with an 8" coil for the Equinox machines. For general hunting I find this the optimum size coil and for many years an 8" coil was the industry standard for general coin shooting. The race for "more depth" resulted in most manufacturers making 11" coils standard and although they may be deeper than an 8" coil they will never provide the separation and accuracy at normal (say to 10") depths. I was told they would have a six inch coil in late spring but they had no plans for an 8" coil. To me this sucks, I normally use an 8 incher on my Safari and ATP, and usually on my Infinium. I really don't like six inchers either, just too small. I don't understand why they are not considering making a wider coil selection for the Equinox like they did for the Explorer series. I really would like an Equinox 800, but may not get one until Coiltec or somebody else comes out with an 8" coil for these machines. Of course for me it may be a moot point since they seem to be a little lame about getting the 800s to market and I will certainly not pay an asinine price to get one now.
    I here you....the 11" is just a bit of a tight fit and the 6" although ample size for those tight spots just does not satisfy....forget the 15" its a monster and I'm sure
    it will just ruin most people. 8" sounds nice but I prefer a 9" it has a familiar feel to it.
    Reading a manual can make you look real smart
    Not reading a manual...can just make you look not so smart.
    Telling people you can't read on a forum....just makes you look stupid.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex.
    1028 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bleeohio View Post
    I'll say I'm on the fence about the six inch. I don't have the patience that it takes to work a small coil but I'd sure swing the snot out of an 8-9 incher.
    Yeah, a little 5 x 8 like on the AT Pro would be a killer on a 600 or 800. I would be able to locate more silver in my park that is a pop top, ring pull and foil graveyard. around the concrete picnic tables which have been there forever you can dig a shovel full of dirt and almost be guaranteed some junk.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex.
    1028 times
    Relic Hunting
    if you are still waiting for the 800 then find a small minelab dealer. I got mine two weeks ago in two days after I ordered it because the small minelab dealer had one in stock. The smaller dealers have an allocation like the big dealers. But the main difference the small dealers have fewer customers begging for 800's. The larger dealers have a huge list of customers begging for an 800 hence the long wait if you are on a large dealer list.

I am very happy with the 800. still learning and having fun in between the rain storms. But we need the rain here in the southeast, but would be willing to share half of it with the folks out west, but that is the way it is.
    mhess22 and Normsel like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    4160 times
    Relic Hunting
    Mo Money? Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links