May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found a nice 14kt ring today (I don't post pics of gold finds) at a very popular spot. I didn't find anything else, not even clad, so I am guessing whoever cleaned out the beach early this morning/last night passed this up because of the iron sound or of course they could of not put the coil there but who knows.

So I first hit a 21 then down to -8. It seemed like the machine wanted to say it was a bad target (iron). Lots of grunts with some higher tones mixed in. I go slow, especially around these kind of tones so I went around it, testing from every angle. I kept getting a solid 18-21 but also grunt and -5, -6, -8, etc. In these cases I always just dig, especially on the wetsand. I dug and first scoop got the ring. Tested the spot again and got only the -#s. I tried to dig the iron to see what it was but after 4 scoops (prob like 15+ inches) I gave up because the sound was not getting better even though getting stronger. So dig those iffy signals with this machine, go slow, and dig when you get a consistent + #/tone.

I was in beach 1, 22 sens, 0 iron bias, RS 2 (4 on 800).

Oh, and when you see other detectorists at the beach, especially when you walk within feet of them and no one else is on the beach, its ok to nod, say hello, or even stop to talk. Had a guy detecting right around me with his wife and neither would even look at me when I was feet away from them. Its ok to say hi. I assume they were vacationers and I could of given him some tips.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to hang tough on an iffy signal. I concur that we should chat with each other when paths cross, there is enough incivility right now.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With this machine if I hear a good tone from any angle in junk / -#s I hit the horse shoe dial it in and dig . You did excellent and this machine excels in separation for sure . Can not wait for the six inch coil like any day now , right ?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good post, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the ring and being persistant, it paid off. I am in a town where there is some other detectorist and i have met 2 so far in my travels, boy! were they unfriendly hardly given me the time of day, I gave them my number hoping to hook up with them (would be nice to have a detecting buddy) but no. never heard from them again.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratz on the ring and being persistant, it paid off. I am in a town where there is some other detectorist and i have met 2 so far in my travels, boy! were they unfriendly hardly given me the time of day, I gave them my number hoping to hook up with them (would be nice to have a detecting buddy) but no. never heard from them again.

All of the local beach detectorists are pretty cool here. We chat, show each other what we have found, etc. But we get tons of vacationers. I think they get intimidated. A few weeks back a guy came to the spot I was at, detected for 10 mins, and left. It was weird. Yesterday it was a husband and wife. No one else on the beach at 630am. They were just a few feet from me and wouldn't even look. Oh well. Its just weird. People can at least acknowledge one another exists.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More often than not the other detectorists I run into on the beach are tourists and I always talk to them. Many buy an inexpensive detector to take on vacation. I seen an old cpl the other day and they were swinging the detector 1' above the ground and I explained to the swing low and slow and the lady thanked me because she was getting tired. I always speak to other people detecting. I ran into a guy new to detecting and he was complaining he wasn't finding anything and he had about $3 in clad and a ring. I told him he was doing very well for hunting on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread