Help with 800

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I received my 800 on friday but only yesterday assembled it and charged it due to work. Anyway when I turn it on and no metal near it at all it goes crazy and doesn't stop. I tried to ground balance that didn't help, did a reset that didn't help either. Am I doing something wrong or did I recieve a lemon? I ordered it from Cabelas and it was shipped from minelab.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you turning it on indoors?

If not, the way to intitialize it is first: Go outside, Start with Park 1, you need to do an EMI noise cancel (under settings) first with the coil in the air at the site you are detecting (presumably your yard). Make sure your cell phone is at least not near the control head or in airplain mode. Once the noise cancel routine is done, then ground balance. If you are still getting noise, don't be afraid to back off on sensitivity. The default is 20, max is 25, you will be OK even if you have to reduce down to 15-17 to get rid of noise. Common neighborhood sources of noise: power lines, transformer boxes, wifi, flourescent lamps. But I have had no trouble getting it to quiet down in my yard even with all of the above going on. Put some test targets in the ground to get used to the audio and display. Do not mess with any of the other settings. On this machine avoid the tendency to mode hop since each mode is like a different detetor and you will reset your learning curve. Park 1 is a great all purpose mode and learning mode, no need to change it unless you are going to a salt beach. But, if you do switch modes, unlike other detectors, you need to noise cancel and gb each mode separately at your detect site.

Let us know if you still can't get it to quiet down.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like vferrari said, make sure you are away from any building. The one I had worked great out of the box and I didn't mess with any settings.

OP
OP
S

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well your advice worked had to do it step by step but it worked. lol
Gotta say the Excal II was an easier learning curve but I'm excited to learn this 800 and its ins and outs.
TY vferrari

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use the factory presets to start out. I have found with various machines you can customize programs to the point you miss good stuff.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd.........I can turn mine on inside the house to air test things and it's quite as a mouse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much EMI is in your house, ever home is different.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the easist detector i have ever owned to use out of the box. Every setting is easy to memorize after a week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread