H

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my recent beach finds with the 800...thought i would share what they all rang up as.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the tab to ring ratio - lol. Nice saves.

OP
OP
H

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i see a 14 im thinking tab for sure but am pleasantly surprised 1 out of 50 times!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i see a 14 im thinking tab for sure but am pleasantly surprised 1 out of 50 times!

1 out of 50 is not bad. Those damn ubiquitous, round juice freshness seals at a solid sounding 7 are driving me insane.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the plat was higher than I expected but since I have never found one, I don't have a clue

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the plat was higher than I expected but since I have never found one, I don't have a clue

Good point. Pure platinum has less specific conductivity than iron (!), but total mass (in this case a hefty 11g) and purity plays a role. Still a little higher than I would expect too. But that's the way it is with jewelry.

Some other platinum ring TID data here with discussion.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/580593-lets-talk-small-ladies-rings.html#post5840003

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GREAT DIGS, and thanks for sharing VDI info with us on each of them...

Steve

zuludon

Aug 28, 2012
central texas
Detector(s) used
garrett,groundhog,ads7x whites xlt-e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info . finds like yours are why I want to up grade to the equinox 800 for hunting in the water as soon as I can make that happen.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and congrats on the gold and silver finds.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The VDI of 4-5 thru me off a bit, I'll pay more attention to those. Welcome information "hageneyr" Thank you.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The VDI of 4-5 thru me off a bit, I'll pay more attention to those. Welcome information "hageneyr" Thank you.

Oh yeah, thin gold can def ring up down there. The TID is a function of the metal composition/purity (which affects specific conductivity), total metal mass, shape, the presence of a continuous conductive circuit (closed vs. open loops) and thickness of the of the metal (e.g., thin rings have greater resistance to induced currents created by the coil's magnetic field). The irregular shape, discontinuous loop conductivity circuit, and thickness effects dominate even high metal mass gold chains which drives their TIDs to very low numbers. Metals of lower specific conductivity such as gold, lead, and aluminum are more highly affected by these factors than high conductors like pure copper and silver. The detector (via the coil receive windings) is looking for a high strength (the field strength is a function of the conductivity factors I mentioned previously and transmit frequency), symmetric (ideally donut-shaped indicating a probable coin) magnetic field that is created by the current induced in the conductive target by the magnetic field created by the transmit coil windings.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds & thank You for sharing VDI #s.
They should be helpful.

Oh yeah, thin gold can def ring up down there. The TID is a function of the metal composition/purity (which affects specific conductivity), total metal mass, shape, the presence of a continuous conductive circuit (closed vs. open loops) and thickness of the of the metal (e.g., thin rings have greater resistance to induced currents created by the coil's magnetic field). The irregular shape, discontinuous loop conductivity circuit, and thickness effects dominate even high metal mass gold chains which drives their TIDs to very low numbers. Metals of lower specific conductivity such as gold, lead, and aluminum are more highly affected by these factors than high conductors like pure copper and silver. The detector (via the coil receive windings) is looking for a high strength (the field strength is a function of the conductivity factors I mentioned previously and transmit frequency), symmetric (ideally donut-shaped indicating a probable coin) magnetic field that is created by the current induced in the conductive target by the magnetic field created by the transmit coil windings.

Now that's a mouth full. I'll have to read this a couple more times to fully understand.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds & thank You for sharing VDI #s.
They should be helpful.

Now that's a mouth full. I'll have to read this a couple more times to fully understand.

LOL - I know - there are a lot of competing effects going on.

Let me summarize without the science mumbo jumbo: thin gold and especially gold chains (even with high metal mass) will by the nature of their material properties and shape ring up with lower VDI's but because of the variability in shape, mass, and composition of gold jewelry it can ring up over a wide range of VDI's including the high teens. Lower conductor (e.g., gold) target VDI's tend to be lower and more dominated by shape and thickness than by metal mass vs. high conductors like silver which will ring up high even if they are small.

High conductors can be detected at greater depths because of their higher field strengths compared to mid conductors (independent of frequency). Higher frequencies help small, mid-conductors become more visible to the detectors, but high frequency signals cannot penetrate as far as low frequency signals into the ground. That is why silver can be typically detected at much greater depths than gold (independent of frequency) and also why you want to use lower frequencies to maximize detection depth of silver targets.

Probably made things worse - but its complicated competing effects.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first three in the top row are particularly interesting... those VDI's fall right on pull tabs and zinc pennies.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the jewelry finds! :icon_thumleft:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Platinum ring also has a large surface area compared to a typical band which certainly helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread