Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of you have a lot of time in with the Nox and some have maybe settled on a preferred freq set up by now. I have seen a few videos where the person was using single freq and would switch freqs quickly to check targets. I have primarily used the multi freq with my 600. I have heard that the multi freq sometimes doesn't do as well as a single freq but I don't have enough time in on mine to have a real idea. just wondering, Jerry

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use single frequency once in a while to interrogate targets but thats it. I dont see any other reason to use single freq. because the multi is so great , I have accidentally left it in a single freq. a few times and wondered what is wrong with the machine until I realized what I have done. I have also heard of people using a lower single freq. to run better in heavy EMI environments but I dont usually hunt in areas with that problem.
How do you like the 600? I absolutely love the Equinox

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only use single freq to skirt around unbearable EMI, which is rare. All else, Multi rules!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use single frequency once in a while to interrogate targets but thats it. I dont see any other reason to use single freq. because the multi is so great , I have accidentally left it in a single freq. a few times and wondered what is wrong with the machine until I realized what I have done. I have also heard of people using a lower single freq. to run better in heavy EMI environments but I dont usually hunt in areas with that problem.

what's not to like? I have the deus which I love too but the Nox is such a beast in its own right. I really couldn't justify the 800 when I bought the 600 and I love the 600 but occasionally I would like to have gotten the 800 for fine tuning my hunting. However, the 600 puts my old Garretts to shame in so many ways. maybe someday I will get the six inch coil to help with my arm and shoulder but for now I use the nox unless too sore then the deus. I haven't had time to try the update yet but am hoping it will help with one problem that I had when pin pointing. some day will get some wireless headsets for it. am waiting and watching to see what is working the best for others. To me, the 600 is a giant step up for someone that uses say a ACE 150 or 250 much less an AT. I think either 600 or 800 is an awesome buy for the machine that you are getting for the money spent. I can't say that I am finding anything more than I would with the deus but the nox is waterproof and coils a lot cheaper (so far I believe.)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
multi all the way...that's why I bought the thing.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'll get a tongue lashing but I'll say that 4 kHz did find me a silver quarter that Multi missed, so it has it's place, also I'll say you (we) made the right choice getting the 600 since we own a Deus - reason being you can fine tune the Deus to a site more so than an 800 can fine tune over a 600.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'll get a tongue lashing but I'll say that 4 kHz did find me a silver quarter that Multi missed, so it has it's place, also I'll say you (we) made the right choice getting the 600 since we own a Deus - reason being you can fine tune the Deus to a site more so than an 800 can fine tune over a 600.

Multi-frequency for me, but single frequency modes have their use. From page 29 of the Equinox manual:

Single Frequency Operation
Using a single frequency may have a slight advantage over multi- frequency in certain detecting situations.
For example; if you were searching only for larger high conductive targets located at great depth, using 5 kHz may give an advantage. Similarly, if you were hunting only for very fine gold jewelry at a shallow depth, then 20 kHz* or 40 kHz* may give better results in some detecting environments, such as at a beach on the dry sand.

In some noisy environments (e.g. high Electromagnetic Interference, where Noise Cancel is not fully effective), a single frequency may pick up less noise than Multi will, however maximum target sensitivity over a wide range of targets will be reduced.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi then research a questionable target with single frequency.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually, higher single frequencies are less susceptible to EMI so if folks are using lower singles, they are making the problem worse.

As far as the original question goes: I run multi almost exclusively and don't find switching to single all that useful for target interrogation (in addition to being a pain). But I have been experimenting with running gold mode at 20 khz in highly mineralized soil to perhaps have some benefits similar to running the XP Deus in HF and pitch mode. More practical testing required to see if it really matters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions