Winterizing the Equinox

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO:
As with all metal detectors they should be broken down (rods) and cleaned, coil covers removed and coil/cover should be cleaned and all batteries should be removed. Now in the case of the Equinox (can not remove battery), I would give a charge and leave it alone for the winter only occasionally checking if the battery has lost significant charge (bars on display). Never leave a rechargeable battery in a discharge state for a long time...nothing good comes of it. I would also keep it in a warm dry place. Again this is me and I take great care of my machines.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I take mine out of the truck during the winter. Sometimes.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to drain the coolant and clean the flux capacitor before storing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Flux capacitor?" Did you remember to remove the dilithium crystals?

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to drain the coolant and clean the flux capacitor before storing.

:laughing7: I also check the antifreeze to make sure that when the temperature drops a lot, like -50 degrees, the block won't freeze.

~just kidding with you.
-----------

One does not have to take the detector apart, but maybe removing the coil and lower shaft makes it easier to move around the house to charge the battery every month or two.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO:
As with all metal detectors they should be broken down (rods) and cleaned, coil covers removed and coil/cover should be cleaned and all batteries should be removed. Now in the case of the Equinox (can not remove battery), I would give a charge and leave it alone for the winter only occasionally checking if the battery has lost significant charge (bars on display). Never leave a rechargeable battery in a discharge state for a long time...nothing good comes of it. I would also keep it in a warm dry place. Again this is me and I take great care of my machines.

You can't remove the battery? So how many years is it supposed to last before you have to buy a new Nox?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't remove the battery? So how many years is it supposed to last before you have to buy a new Nox?

Since it is a 1.21 gigawatt battery, it should last 4 to 6 years and actually IS user replaceable or lacking a suitable replacement you can run it off a power bank if you happen to have an old Mr. Fusion miniature reactor lying around in the garage next to your DeLorean.

There is just no need to go to the trouble of taking the control head off the shaft to access and remove a lithium battery simply to lay up the detector over the winter.

So no need for histrionics from the AA battery crowd looking for yet another ridiculous reason to bash the Equinox.

Not saying that's where you were headed, with your post, your majesty, but just wanted to nip that in the bud because a post like yours seems to be like catnip for attracting certain Garrett, Tesoro, and Whites users who seem to be highly offended the Equinox even exists. It just gets a little old after awhile...

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the 9 volt crowd..... can I find a ridiculous reason to bash the Equinox too.....:icon_scratch:

Why not...didn't mean to discriminate against the 9 volt crowd, too. Lol.

Look, I have a detector that uses 8, count 'em 8, AA batteries (Garrett ATX) and a Tek Delta that uses a 9 VDC battery and still use them. I am not bashing detectors that use traditional battery technologies or the people who use these detectors. I am brand and detector technology agnostic and like to have an open mind to new ideas and technologies that can enhance my enjoyment of the hobby and l believe everyone should use the detector that works for them regardless of whether it's new or old tech.

I am talking about people, married to brand loyalty or other agendas, that constantly bring up Lithium battery technology as some sort of fatal flaw in a detector design with the misconception that a detector that uses it is like a cell phone you throw away when it dies or complain that that you can't simply replace the battery if you forget to charge it (also not a fatal issue with Equinox because you can charge it with a power bank on the fly). They are just old, tired, and invalid arguments against the tech. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, you KNOW the 1.21 gigawatt battery is good for 100 years. Be real.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is a 1.21 gigawatt battery, it should last 4 to 6 years and actually IS user replaceable or lacking a suitable replacement you can run it off a power bank if you happen to have an old Mr. Fusion miniature reactor lying around in the garage next to your DeLorean.

There is just no need to go to the trouble of taking the control head off the shaft to access and remove a lithium battery simply to lay up the detector over the winter.

So no need for histrionics from the AA battery crowd looking for yet another ridiculous reason to bash the Equinox.

Not saying that's where you were headed, with your post, your majesty, but just wanted to nip that in the bud because a post like yours seems to be like catnip for attracting certain Garrett, Tesoro, and Whites users who seem to be highly offended the Equinox even exists. It just gets a little old after awhile...

Agree with you. Also, switching to that type batteries has been the recent trend with most device manufacturers, from cellphones to power tools. The old Ni-Cad batteries were a problem because they develop a capacity memory, but that has been solved with the new breed of batteries.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Equinox battery can be replaced when it's useful life has been exhausted, but isn't something you would remove during the "winterizing" procedure.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Whoah.....this is heavy..

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catnip. 😂😂😂😂😂

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to drain the LCD fluid and let the summer air out of the coil, you don't want those going stale over the winter.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to put a little Sta-Bil in mine for the winter. Should make for an easy start-up in the spring.:laughing7:

Attachments

• STA-BIL.jpeg
    STA-BIL.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 67

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catnip. ����������

Dang right. Got Smokey to comment, didn't I. :laughing7:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Professor if Engineering posted "cannot remove the battery",not to throw him under the bus :D
This was just something I hadn't heard. I am not a one brand only, and my brand is better than some other because I bought it type. The only time I would go that way would be in jest.
Obviously, Garrett is the choice of royalty,
but that is just because they possess advisors and wizards who have arcane knowledge not available to commoners.
I'M KIDDING! LOL.
If the OP was intending to store his machine for years and it did use Superior AA battery technology-developed from Area 51 alien technology if anyone cares to know- it would be a good idea to remove the batteries as they might corrode and damage the machine's terminals.
But seriously, I think we all know Calabash Digger has demonstrated Antifas(?) are the best machines available :)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree. I understood you were reacting to some inaccurate information posted earlier in the thread regarding user replaceability and made sure I noted that I wasnt't automatically lumping you into the anti-lithium protest crowd. Like I said, was just trying nip the disinformation in the bud before others started to go on about how awful lithium batteries are for use in a detector because...[fill in the blank].

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread