S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it's not supposed to be that way. Have you tried modes other than beach mode on the dry tops, test targets? My conclusion is that something is borked with your Equinox, probably the coil. The only thing that does not add up is the fact that you had success dry land hunting without similar issues which could point to EMI at the beach except for the fellow who was doing fine wjth his at the beach. Continue to hold your dealer accountable. It is good he is contacting ML. I wish I could meet up and run mine in your conditions so we could know for sure, plus I would love to make it across the pond to go detecting in your wonderful country. But that's not happening, unfortunately. Hang in there, try not to get discourged, and keep us posted.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice buddy. Will keep you posted for sure. It did better on land but even then I did experience some falsing but nowhere near as bad as sand. I bought it primarily to beach hunt. I have met other Nox users to who say they have done well on that stretch of beach. To be honest I never thought it may be the coil. Know what you mean, it's not a 30 minute flight, sadly, or I would be over there hunting the Florida Keys for some Spanish gold.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again and thanks for your time. I will answer each question if I may.

I hear you about my inexperience with the Nox but after 50 or so hours things have not got any better. A typical dig goes like this. I get a 12 and saying 4'' deep. I dig and the target disappears then say a foot away(where I had already scanned) another target shows but it will be totally different, say a 26 and 8'' deep. Then after ive dug, that will disappear. Another scenario, I get a target, its saying its 8'' deep(4 bars) I dig say 10'' and its still saying 8'' deep, I dig maybe another foot and its still saying 8'' deep. That's how it's always been after 50 hours. I never know what a real target with this machine. I really can't believe this is how it is for everyone.

That isnt the way it is suppose to work but it could still be something besides the detector. Are you wearing any kind of shoes that have metal in them? What mode are you in when hunting, are you hunting in all metal? Understand the depth meter is based on coin size targets so larger targets can make depth meter wrong.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That isnt the way it is suppose to work but it could still be something besides the detector. Are you wearing any kind of shoes that have metal in them? What mode are you in when hunting, are you hunting in all metal? Understand the depth meter is based on coin size targets so larger targets can make depth meter wrong.

Hi, no I have been wearing rubber boots on the beach, no metal on them. Don't hunt in all metal.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a small update, I rang the dealers earlier, the guy who is dealing with it is off today but the guy who I spoke to is the manager. I had to explain(again) what my issues are, he said it must be either the control unit or the coil. I said I would like a complete new machine, he said they would only replace the part that's faulty and not the whole machine. Should I accept that, is that the normal procedure? I mean when they confirm a fault, can I insist on a complete exchange machine? I asked him how will they know which part is faulty unless they try it out on wet sand, he said he understands my point...
I paid for the machine via Paypal by the way.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the US, the authorzed ML repair center, not the dealer, handles repairs and it is up to tge repair center's discretion as to what gets replaced. If the dealers are not authorzed for repair, they would typically simply replace the unit for the purchaser and then seek compensation from ML. Do you know if your dealer runs a ML authorized repair shop? [I do not know how ML UK handles such things compaired to ML USA].

What you have been describing really sounds like a likely coil problem or a problem with the coil connector on the contro head. If they opt to replace both components, to be sure, you are basically getting a new detector so I would personally be OK with that. Since they cannot replicate the issue themselves, I would attempt to 1) get a completely new unit, 2) have the coil and control head replaced, 3) have only the coil replaced, and last choice 4) have only the control head replaced because it is least likely to be the issue.

Hope this information helps guide you with further questions with the shop personnel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in the US, the authorzed ML repair center, not the dealer, handles repairs and it is up to tge repair center's discretion as to what gets replaced. If the dealers are not authorzed for repair, they would typically simply replace the unit for the purchaser and then seek compensation from ML. Do you know if your dealer runs a ML authorized repair shop? [I do not know how ML UK handles such things compaired to ML USA].

What you have been describing really sounds like a likely coil problem or a problem with the coil connector on the contro head. If they opt to replace both components, to be sure, you are basically getting a new detector so I would personally be OK with that. Since they cannot replicate the issue themselves, I would attempt to 1) get a completely new unit, 2) have the coil and control head replaced, 3) have only the coil replaced, and last choice 4) have only the control head replaced because it is least likely to be the issue.

Hope this information helps guide you with further questions with the shop personnel.

Hi buddy no they don't run a repair shop. I think if they can't isolate which of the parts are faulty (and again I don't know how they can in the store) I will press for at least a new control unit and coil. Yes it's a great help, thanks again. I will update you on Monday.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the problem gets fixed, I'd have no problem with a repair, whether it's replacing the arm rest bolt, or, pulling the screen saver and putting a new detector under it! Now if there's a huge delay in doing the repairs, that would be an issue with me. I don't like to suffer from detecting withdrawal! :tongue3:

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update! So they haven't rung me once but today a parcel arrived. It was my nox with a new coil. They forgot to put my arm cuff in the box so I had to ring them. I said are you sure it's the coil and he said 'we're pretty sure'.... Just got back from trying it out on my local beach, absolutely no difference. Even turned the sensitivity down to 10 and it was still wasn't stable. Just rang them and said either I get a brand new machine or I want my money back. Waiting for the boss to get back to me. Really had enough now.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update! So they haven't rung me once but today a parcel arrived. It was my nox with a new coil. They forgot to put my arm cuff in the box so I had to ring them. I said are you sure it's the coil and he said 'we're pretty sure'.... Just got back from trying it out on my local beach, absolutely no difference. Even turned the sensitivity down to 10 and it was still wasn't stable. Just rang them and said either I get a brand new machine or I want my money back. Waiting for the boss to get back to me. Really had enough now.

This sounds so bizarre. Is the machine stable everywhere else ? The problem is just at this beach then I would think ground issues or EMI
I would like to see a video of this and I'm sure minelab would to.
Also I'm curious are you hunting with a slight audible threshold

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....next thing to try is the control box.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This sounds so bizarre. Is the machine stable everywhere else ? The problem is just at this beach then I would think ground issues or EMI
I would like to see a video of this and I'm sure minelab would to.
Also I'm curious are you hunting with a slight audible threshold

Hi, I only tried it on the beach today, but with the other coil it was still falsing on grass/pasture. I turned the sensitivity down to 12 earlier and it still wasn't totally stable. It was the same bit of clean beach where another nox owner was running his on 22 sensitivity a few days ago.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, Yep sounds strange.

So just to clarify if you hold the coil up in the air and increase the sensitivity to above 12 say 18-20 do you get jumpy vdi numbers when the coil is in the air? or only when you put it to the ground?
Whats your threshold set at - can you hear a hum all the time or nothing?
I never had this issue with the 600 but with my Whites machine I can walk with the coil up in the air about waist high and tell where the emi is coming form. If I was closer to a light pole the machine will go nuts ( I can't hunt at some places with it at all) and if I get about 50 meters away it calms down, but it sounds like you may have a faulty machine..bummer

I always got jumpy vdi numbers when I tried to run 22/23 so I had to run 20 but that's farm soil, not sand.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 600 in a farm field the other day, and it got soooo confused. Are you running a factory preset? In your case if it misbehaves with a factory present with no tweaking, it needs to go back again. Not good.

OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a 600 in a farm field the other day, and it got soooo confused. Are you running a factory preset? In your case if it misbehaves with a factory present with no tweaking, it needs to go back again. Not good.

Hi yes I have done several factory presets, makes no difference. When another Nox owner is running his sensitivity on 22,(all other settings identical) and I can't get mine stable over 14 something has to be wrong.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Somewhat discouraging to follow this thread. Am holding off on purchase for now. Waiting to see what other multi frequencies come out.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhat discouraging to follow this thread. Am holding off on purchase for now. Waiting to see what other multi frequencies come out.

Why?

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
He who hesitates loses..

Tritone

Nov 22, 2018
Panama City
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my .02 on the Nox...

I hunt in Panama City Beach and my Nox nails the targets (even tiny bits of metal) and goes deep as well. I have a 600 and I run as hot as I can. Most of the falsing happens because of a bad swing or hitting high sand, shells, etc. When I keep the coil down and control the swing, easy to do on the wet packed sand at low tide, I get very little falsing. I run beach 1 mostly as it’s been too cold to get in the water.

So the machine works as advertised. It sounds like you’re just going through the ringer with gremlins in your machine. Once they figure it out, I’m sure you’re going to love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread