Nox Pinpointing Issues

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still having issues pinpointing with Nox especially with iron infested areas or trash near my target too. This is not only with trashy areas though, I have dug 2 feet wide holes that are 14 inch deep and have found nothing too with only one target showing up. I am using my pinpointer (Carrott) with no luck and the machine is still saying their is a target in the whole were I dug and it is nowhere to be found too. I have a 6 inch coil to try and see if I can do better with it too then.

Also when I contacted Minelab they said the sweet spot of this coil is right underneath the Equinox label towards the toe 8-) I did not know this before being my first detector, this is were I dig at after going around the target at least 180 degees with the Nox to make sure I am on it. I have had this detector out 5 times now but spending 20 min on one whole to find nothing is very frustating....

Does anybody thinking removing the coil cover and cleaning it will help, if so how to go I do this too then ?

Or possibly my detector could be defective possibly too?

Thanks
Scott B

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than trying to describe it you may want to watch some of the videos on YouTube. There really is some good information there, and maybe you can stop needing a backhoe instead of a hand digger. lol

-Joe

OP
OP
B

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched every video I can find on the Equinox and still to no avail too :(

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I am still having issues pinpointing with Nox especially with iron infested areas or trash near my target too. This is not only with trashy areas though, I have dug 2 feet wide holes that are 14 inch deep and have found nothing too with only one target showing up. I am using my pinpointer (Carrott) with no luck and the machine is still saying their is a target in the whole were I dug and it is nowhere to be found too. I have a 6 inch coil to try and see if I can do better with it too then.

Also when I contacted Minelab they said the sweet spot of this coil is right underneath the Equinox label towards the toe 8-) I did not know this before being my first detector, this is were I dig at after going around the target at least 180 degees with the Nox to make sure I am on it. I have had this detector out 5 times now but spending 20 min on one whole to find nothing is very frustating....

Does anybody thinking removing the coil cover and cleaning it will help, if so how to go I do this too then ?

Thanks
Scott B

"the sweet spot of this coil is right underneath the Equinox label towards the toe"

Explain toe.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched every video I can find on the Equinox and still to no avail too :(
I used the Equinox for a couple of weeks before putting it away for winter, and had no troubles whatsoever pinpointing. But the grounds around my end of the pond aren't mineralized, so maybe that makes a difference.

OP
OP
B

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the sweet spot of this coil is right underneath the Equinox label towards the toe"

Explain toe.

I would say the toe is between the front crossbrace and the very tip of the coil. This is close to were the EQ11 label is on it.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw a quarter on the ground and practice pinpointing with it. Are you reading the depth gage before you dig? Could be a deep coin.

OP
OP
B

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw a quarter on the ground and practice pinpointing with it. Are you reading the depth gage before you dig? Could be a deep coin.

I have practice targets eith coins taped to the bottom amd I am still off to the side with those too sometimes... I am using the depth guage and it supposed to be 2 inch for every arrow but this is not the most accurate too.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try turning down the sensitivity. Also go to the Garrett website and there is some good info on pinpointing in the AT Gold user's manual.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throw the coin on the ground so you can see it and try pinpointing it. If it pinpoints to the side of the coin then something is wrong with the coil or detector.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my equinox so my use is limited. I used an AT Pro prior to the Nox. I went over an area with the Pro and the Nox and had a pinpoint off on the same target. Both machines. Maybe it was the way the ground allowed the signal through?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shallow targets are not that easy to pinpoint with a double-d coil. Big coil is harder yet. Use the tip-tail method as described in Garretts manual.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Explain toe.

Toe is the front edge of the coil where the center spine intersects the coil edge.

BTW - I've found the pinpointed target lies under the coil bolt not the toe logo.

Last edited:

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks
Scott B

Use a hair dryer to warm the cover up a little and then just work (like pealing a label off) it down off the coil

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take the coil cover off just yet. Put a coin on the ground and slowly creep the coil up to it as soon as you get an audible tone. That's usually about were the target will pinpoint. The exceptions would be targets that are deeper or trash can throw off the pinpoint. Practice inside on coins and pay attention to how the pinpoint location changes as you raise the coil. The deeper targets or higher you raise the coil inside will be close to the coil bolt. You get better after you dig a few thousand pieces of junk. HH

OP
OP
B

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't take the coil cover off just yet. Put a coin on the ground and slowly creep the coil up to it as soon as you get an audible tone. That's usually about were the target will pinpoint. The exceptions would be targets that are deeper or trash can throw off the pinpoint. Practice inside on coins and pay attention to how the pinpoint location changes as you raise the coil. The deeper targets or higher you raise the coil inside will be close to the coil bolt. You get better after you dig a few thousand pieces of junk. HH

Thanks for the help and i have tried this before too. This detector goes crazy inside the house so that is not a option for me too ...

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should go outside and find a place with no or very little EMI and no iron around or under the coil. Then either place a coin on the ground or bury it 4-5 inches and work on pinpointing. Here's a short video:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help and i have tried this before too. This detector goes crazy inside the house so that is not a option for me too ...

You can't do pinpoint testing inside the house because of the EMI.

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the “wiggle” method for pinpointing and 8/10 times my target is in the middle of my plug. In fact I rarely choose to use the pinpoint button on the equinox.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpoint center is just that, dead center of the coil. I just use a criss/cross pattern over the target to center it. The double D wiggle can help too if it's more than one target under the coil. The pinpoint button is a nice feature, but most of the time it really isn't needed (at least for me anyway).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread