Frustration with my Nox!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Frustration with my Nox!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 800, home made carbon fibre shaft, XP MI-4 Pointer
    250
    224 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

    Frustration with my Nox!

    Hi guys I have had 3 or 4 land hunts with my new 600, found plenty of coins so no complaints there.

    But beach hunting is entirely different! Just got back from my 4th beach hunt. To sum it up i'm getting loads of signals. The problem is they very rarely result in a find. The numbers either keep changing wildly or sometimes when I do get a good signal and dig the signal seems to disappear? Today I dug several signals, isolated them in the scoop, dunked my scoop in the water, looked in the scoop, nothing! That must have happened 20 times. I am so frustrated right now. I ground balance and noise cancel every time yet each hunt ends up the same way. Tried beach 1 and 2, no difference. I must be doing something wrong?
    Hawks88, RobNC and Inspector like this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    38,143
    30376 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Where are you ground balancing at, in the water, wet salt sand, dry sand, manual or auto ?

    What sensitivity setting are you using?

    How does it work on dry land?
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

    2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

    USAF 1967-1971

    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

    No Expiration Date!

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    14,677
    26043 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    And do you think very small items are falling through the scoop? I've had that happen. Frustrating as all get out.

  4. #4
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 800, home made carbon fibre shaft, XP MI-4 Pointer
    250
    224 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Where are you ground balancing at, in the water, wet salt sand, dry sand, manual or auto ?

    What sensitivity setting are you using?

    How does it work on dry land?
    Hi, I usually auto ground balance. I did it on wet sand today. I started off on 20 sensitivity but then down to 17.

    Never had any problems on dry land. Was careful with the scoop, pretty sure nothing was falling through.

  5. #5
    us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    187
    230 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Interesting.

    I am brand new to this and just bought an 800.

    I went to the beach to use it for the first time about two weeks ago.

    Being new to this, I left all the settings as FP.

    I did a noise cancel and auto ground balance.

    Every single hit I received, there was something there, whether it was a pull tab, a key, food/gum wrapper, or a coin. I felt good knowing that if it gave a signal/tone, there was something there to dig.

    I do not know anything about the 600, but I understood it was basically the same machine but does not have the gold settings. ??

    Have you done a factory reset?
    Hawks88, RobNC, sandmartin and 5 others like this.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,265
    6803 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you are in salt water, especially surf, use Beach 2 and Tracking GB. Varying salinity concentrations in surf can cause the ground reference to frequently change.
    Hawks88, RobNC, sandmartin and 4 others like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX, T2SE, Minuteman
    164
    276 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmartin View Post
    Hi guys I have had 3 or 4 land hunts with my new 600, found plenty of coins so no complaints there.

    But beach hunting is entirely different! Just got back from my 4th beach hunt. To sum it up i'm getting loads of signals. The problem is they very rarely result in a find. The numbers either keep changing wildly or sometimes when I do get a good signal and dig the signal seems to disappear? Today I dug several signals, isolated them in the scoop, dunked my scoop in the water, looked in the scoop, nothing! That must have happened 20 times. I am so frustrated right now. I ground balance and noise cancel every time yet each hunt ends up the same way. Tried beach 1 and 2, no difference. I must be doing something wrong?
    This is going to sound stupid, but have you checked your coil cover for debris? Remove it and clean underneath.
    I seen where someone else also had recommended in the past someone to do 3 full factory resets in a row and best of my memory that helped them with some erratic behavior.
    Have you tried cutting back your sensitivity?
    I read below where someone recommended using the ground balance tracking feature. Sounds like good advice to me.

  8. #8

    Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    205
    733 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've seen videos where a guy scoops, nothing in the scoop. He sweeps over the hole and gets nothing. Digs deeper and gets the find. Seems the coin falls deeper in the hole and you can lose signal.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

    Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    136
    144 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Some ideas:

    I have one place on a beach where numbers are just crazy. Thought it was the machine but turned out to be a huge undersea cable going into the ocean. Could EM interference be the problem?

    Just spoke to John and Minelab Detector Repair who said we should turn sensitivity down a little. The default 20 can be too hot.

    I had to be careful swinging, lift the coil up at the end of a swing and it falses. Bump a shell or seaweed, same. And if there is a lot of black sand and you don't dig a wide hole, it falses when the coil passes over the two edges of the hole. Made me swing correctly.

    John also said Beach 1 & 2 ground balance is factory set, doing a GB in Beach mode won't change the default setting.

    Hope this helps
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    409
    614 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sooooo.. here are my findings with the beach. Was a great beach detector untill i installed the update then my hunting was very simialr to what you explained even using a lower sensitivity. If you have the latest update you may want to try rolling it back and see if that works better for you. The update made the nox more sensitive to hit silver on edge better which then causes it to be more sensitive on everything creating some false signals in tough conditions. I may be wrong but it has been what i noticed. Good luck

  11. #11
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 800, home made carbon fibre shaft, XP MI-4 Pointer
    250
    224 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    If you are in salt water, especially surf, use Beach 2 and Tracking GB. Varying salinity concentrations in surf can cause the ground reference to frequently change.
    I did use beach 2 and tracking gb buddy, it didn't seem to make any difference. And turned the sensitivity down to 16.
    Last edited by sandmartin; Feb 22, 2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: text added

  12. #12
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 800, home made carbon fibre shaft, XP MI-4 Pointer
    250
    224 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffy Signals View Post
    Sooooo.. here are my findings with the beach. Was a great beach detector untill i installed the update then my hunting was very simialr to what you explained even using a lower sensitivity. If you have the latest update you may want to try rolling it back and see if that works better for you. The update made the nox more sensitive to hit silver on edge better which then causes it to be more sensitive on everything creating some false signals in tough conditions. I may be wrong but it has been what i noticed. Good luck
    My machine does have the update, I checked. I was wondering about this too. I have just changed it back. All this does point to the machine running too hot/falsing to me. I have been making sure under my coil cover is clean too. I will be out over the weekend to see if there's any difference and I will let you know what happens. Thanks to everyone.
    Last edited by sandmartin; Feb 22, 2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: text added.
    RustyGold, Inspector and A2coins like this.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,265
    6803 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
    Some ideas:

    I have one place on a beach where numbers are just crazy. Thought it was the machine but turned out to be a huge undersea cable going into the ocean. Could EM interference be the problem?

    Just spoke to John and Minelab Detector Repair who said we should turn sensitivity down a little. The default 20 can be too hot.

    I had to be careful swinging, lift the coil up at the end of a swing and it falses. Bump a shell or seaweed, same. And if there is a lot of black sand and you don't dig a wide hole, it falses when the coil passes over the two edges of the hole. Made me swing correctly.

    John also said Beach 1 & 2 ground balance is factory set, doing a GB in Beach mode won't change the default setting.

    Hope this helps
    That info on beach GB being factory set is inaccurate or the Minelab manual is completely wrong (I suspect whoever you were talking to is mistaken). While it is true that the Beach Mode Multi IQ algorithms are designed to account for a salinity based ground ground reference, you can still adjust GB as necessary.

    From the manual:

    The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes because these locations typically have less mineralisation than goldfields.

    However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/ or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground Balance is recommended. If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard up-and-down motion.


    Also:

    Tracking Ground Balance can also be useful when using Beach Mode 2 underwater at the beach (in salt water).

    These statements clearly imply that beach mode ground balance CAN be adjusted from the default. Second statement is very explicit about using tracking in beach mode. Nothing in the manual mentions that beach mode GB's are fixed or factory set and finally, it has been my experience in beach mode that adjusting GB on black sand away from the default using an Auto GB or Tracking GB DOES make a difference. If someone can point me to some actual documented evidence Beach GB is factory fixed, I would love to see it. It is unfortunate that purported ML experts are disseminating inaccurate information, if that was the case. Thx.
    Last edited by vferrari; Feb 22, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  14. #14
    us
    Wood Butcher

    Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    568
    725 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Could the type/size of coil be making a difference?

    Is it true a double D works better in the salinity of the surf/beach?
    A2coins likes this.

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    4,265
    6803 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    Could the type/size of coil be making a difference?

    Is it true a double D works better in the salinity of the surf/beach?
    Equinox only uses DD coils (which handle mineralization and salt better than concentrics) and is a proven beach machine. OP either has a severe EMI situation (but unlikely if nearby dry beach performance is OK), a setup problem, or perhaps an equipment failure of some sort. Suggest starting from scratch with a factory reset and trying the above suggestions. Throw some test targets in the sand and see what happens.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

 

 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The cause of all the frustration
    By tamrock in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 15, 2016, 02:44 PM
  2. Oh the frustration!!
    By RelicDude in forum Bottles & Glass
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 12, 2014, 11:43 AM
  3. Frustration!
    By ArkieBassMan in forum Arkansas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2010, 03:47 PM
  4. Fun and Frustration
    By Bunker in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct 20, 2010, 07:47 AM
  5. Frustration is:
    By davew0710 in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0