Deepest silver yet with Nox

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And you know how much time I have on my Nox how? haha Not being rude, but I've probably well over 300 hours on the thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox, but it is a dig-all machine. You never know what's going to come out of the ground with it. Different soil types, moisture levels, etc. all yield different tones and VDI readings with pretty much any detector. But the Nox is very rarely VDI accurate if the soil types are different. IHPs will register 19-20 in sand/dark soil, but 23-24 like a wheatie in red clay. Just an example. South GA goes from sand to organic-rich dark soil to stick-to-your-everything red clay. I've experience in it all and can tell you now that if you don't dig it all, you'll miss good targets.

What machine doesn't produce sporadic VDI's on an IHP? They ring up all over the place. The 800 is easily the most efficient cherry picker I've used so far.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine doesn't produce sporadic VDI's on an IHP? They ring up all over the place. The 800 is easily the most efficient cherry picker I've used so far.

Same for me too. I'm hunting a 220 acre park that I've hunted for 35 years. I've been hunting in Park 1/50 tones, and can tell 90%+ of the time if it's a crown cap or even an aluminum wine cap now. 50 tones enables me to hear the "warbles" and "whoop-de-doos" given by the junk targets that plague the park, even at depth. I am thoroughly impressed by the Equinox 800. I've only had mine since January and have dug 11 silver dimes, 4 buffs, and a quite a large handful of wheat cents. The difference? Excellent discrimination at depth. I'm finding coins deeper than my Tesoro Sidewinder, or AT Pro with 5x8 coil could even go. The 800 TRULY has opened up the park again for me, with the deeper targets. They said the AT Pro would do that, not so much for me. Hunting with the 8-1/2 x 11 coil on the ATP was practically impossible for all the junk in this park. I found some stuff with it, but the 800 puts it to shame, no comparison. It's one hell of a cherry picker. I love it, and am happy as all get out that I bought it.

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was just an example. Another is a silver washington that rang up as a 16 in red clay at 5 inches. 16. Never over. I thought it was a shotgun shell head stamp. Point is - dig it all. Can't refute that. People who think the Nox is a perfect machine on tones and VDI are missing a lot of stuff.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned the 800 by digging everything. Then I quickly learned that I didn’t really need to dig everything. Yeah I suppose I will miss a few things. My knees and my back simply couldn’t take digging every single target on every hunt. Getting old sucks sometimes. I’ll keep cherry picking as long as the picking is good.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've still not read my EQ800 manual, and likely never will = as that would probably confuse me, my brain isn't what it used to be.

I just listen to the sounds. That's all I do with my CTX as well. I look at the numbers, but really don't pay attention to them. It's the sounds for me, solid repeaters.

But I must say, I'd have probably missed your find.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely beautiful coin, great job trusting your instincts!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed -- a BEAUTIFUL coin. GREAT save!

Steve

Top Member Reactions