Status
Not open for further replies.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 2 months ago my wireless headphones seemed to not want to power up. I called Minelab of PA and spoke to the woman there. I gave her the serial # and she said she would have someone call me back.....okay I thought.

Two days later I miss the call back. The guy then left a detailed message on my phone about how to power up and then pair the headphones like I had been doing for the past year and a half...

Okay no biggie since out of nowhere they started working just as before shortly after I called......buuuuutttt, I thought wow that was some weak CS right there.

Fast forward to now. Headphones again, will not power on and only give the red/blue pairing light if charging. I called Minelab today with a voice recording to leave a message? Maybe I expected too much to talk with a person with some tech knowledge upon calling with an issue. Or, even a follow up call from the first problem I was having. I love the Equinox and Minelab in general but MY experience with CS so far has not been as expressed by many on here.

Just figured I would post a thread while awaiting someone from the Minelab skeleton crew to return my call.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When mine are charging all I get is a steady red light until it is charged and then it goes off.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one and only experience with Minelab CS pretty much mirrors yours. I wasn't too impressed with them either, but as I understand it they are WAY understaffed and have a LOT on their plate. I finally did get my issue resolved, but not without a good deal of frustration. You will need to keep calling them until you get someone on the line.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My one and only experience with Minelab CS pretty much mirrors yours. I wasn't too impressed with them either, but as I understand it they are WAY understaffed and have a LOT on their plate. I finally did get my issue resolved, but not without a good deal of frustration. You will need to keep calling them until you get someone on the line.

That excuse (from them) can only be used so long until people don't want to hear it! Hire some people....Heck I'd bet there are plenty of retired people out there that would love to work for Minelab ect. I know they're making enough money to expand their payroll.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be they are not making as much as folks think. The repairs we hear about don't come at no cost, let alone any others. I certainly don't know.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Customer Service may be indirectly proportional to the amount of leaking Equinoxes.:laughing7:
Joking of course.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What folks don't take into consideration is any merchandise returned for repair, whether it's a phone, car, detector, anything, cuts into the bottom line of the company making it. A bad part on a car can cost the manufacturer millions of dollars, due to recalls. Due to the nature of an automobile, the government demands recalls. Not so with a metal detector. The car makers can get insurance for big problems. The detector manufacturer, not so much - unless your detector has an electrocution hazard.:notworthy:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warranty repairs are just part of doing business. The cost must be factored in from product inception. An acceptable failure rate is part of a mass produced item. It is when that rate is exceeded that manufacturers start losing money. That's why it is in their best interest to resolve the issue asap.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, you are correct. Thing is none of us little people know if that line has been breached.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bayoutalker, you are correct. Thing is none of us little people know if that line has been breached.
And that is true of most companies. That is privileged info. As long as our equipment is being repaired in a timely manner and under warranty we really don't need to know. Now if we are having repeat failures an explanation may be in order but that would be a one-on-one thing.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What folks don't take into consideration is any merchandise returned for repair, whether it's a phone, car, detector, anything, cuts into the bottom line of the company making it. A bad part on a car can cost the manufacturer millions of dollars, due to recalls. Due to the nature of an automobile, the government demands recalls. Not so with a metal detector. The car makers can get insurance for big problems. The detector manufacturer, not so much - unless your detector has an electrocution hazard.:notworthy:

The costs of complying with recalls and performing the repairs can also be a factor in the stock prices of public companies. Some very profitable auto companies have low stock prices (some temptingly low...) and one of the greatest risks is a large, expensive recall campaign.

To my knowledge, none of the metal detector brands are owned by a public company, so we'll never know how well they are doing until, poof (a'la Tesoro), they are gone...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PA repair facility is a contracted operation - not owned and operated by Minelab but fully authorized to operate as the only repair facility in the US.

Minelab is a brand, not a company as such. It is part of an Australian corporation called Codan. They are publicly traded and post their semiannual and annual results publicly.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The costs of complying with recalls and performing the repairs can also be a factor in the stock prices of public companies. Some very profitable auto companies have low stock prices (some temptingly low...) and one of the greatest risks is a large, expensive recall campaign.

To my knowledge, none of the metal detector brands are owned by a public company, so we'll never know how well they are doing until, poof (a'la Tesoro), they are gone...

POOF!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock is at $6.62 a share, Australian. I'll pass.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PA repair facility is a contracted operation - not owned and operated by Minelab but fully authorized to operate as the only repair facility in the US.

Minelab is a brand, not a company as such. It is part of an Australian corporation called Codan. They are publicly traded and post their semiannual and annual results publicly.

Thank you - I learned something new this morning! Its an OTC stock and very lightly traded but has been profitable for the few who have bought it - up 750% the last 5 years and mostly a result of the value of re-invested dividends. The link is a good explanation of how CODAN's dividends contributed to its recent past performance:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/investors-bought-codan-asx-cda-233431633.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minelab is owned by Codan, you can read their annual report and see how Minelab is doing and they are doing good, gross sales for Minelab physical year 2019 was $182.1 million and that is just Minelab division of Codan

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions