Done for 5 months

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not done here yet, but...in PA west of here I was digging through 2" of frozen ground until it thawed about noon. It's coming fast.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
your lucky because your spring comes much sooner than mine.
When it freezes here after you get threw the snow off LK Michigan it would take a backhoe to get down threw the permafrost. Lol. So I see a lots of coffee and gazing threw the window coming lol

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
When it freezes here after you get threw the snow off LK Michigan it would take a backhoe to get down threw the permafrost. Lol. So I see a lots of coffee and gazing threw the window coming lol
I feel your pain......from 175 miles north of ya.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first got started metal detecting = after seeing a magazine on the racks of a convenience store in 1979 in Michigan - the cold weather had already begun. 6 months of Winter, and 6 months of cold. I certainly bundled up in the times needed - BUT realistically, I fared a whole lot better in the warmer months. I don't think I could do that now in the cold months up there, as I'd give up pretty quickly now. Gotta watch your health!

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deepseaker.
Yep I agree but at 71 and on Society Security I cant afford to go south so I just have to wail and just read about everyone else having fun detecting, I just dream on.

Your Friend
Doug

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In Michigan.
Well I hate it but my detecting is done for the next 5 months. Temperature dropping to the freezing and snow in the forecast.
its hard to put the detector up and I’m enveisious of those of you that are able to detect all winter. I sure wish I was a snow bird, lol.

Your Friend
Doug

I see where you are located, beautiful sunsets but also lake effect snows.

I grew up in Michigan around the Detroit area and suburbs.
Years of cold weather finally did me in, and people had a different attitude back then about the cold.
Nowadays, if it gets below the 20's they delay or cancel schools, can't have the little ones walk or stand in the line for a bus too long in temps like that.
In the 60's we often got down to negative numbers on school days, that was just the temp, not the wind chill which was more like the negative teens or 20's.
I had a mile to walk to my Jr. High school and I don't remember one day when any school was ever closed because of even that kind of cold.
Snow sure, but never cold weather.
I don't recall anyone making a big stink about it either, I am sure if some parent complained they were told to just dress their kid warmer.

In the the late 70's I remember one February where the temp didn't rise above 5 degrees at any time all month.
That was it for me, I plotted and planned and waited for my shot to get out and a few years later I made my escape to the Tampa Bay area.

Also the potholes.
Pothole season is 12 months a year in that state.

Now I live in Birmingham Al. where it is sometimes way to hot and hard to dig in the summer, we go into the water or just wait for fall and winter because it never really gets to cold to hunt and the ground never freezes.
I'm going hunting now, you can live vicariously though us southerners until your weather warms up and the snow melts.
Hopefully by the end of March but you never know.
I remember we got a 12" blizzard once in the third week of April, so...

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, going out tomorrow with my detecting buddy for the last of the season. Time to get back to my woodworking.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was going tomorrow but am rethinking it. My hip is really bad today, and my cat's hip is giving her problems too! It's going to be 20 tonight and the place I was thinking of going is 4 hours away. Maybe next week when it warms up.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thought you just had a storm /snow over there.
when I woke up this morning we had a light dusting, and Monday they are talking accumulating here.
have a good hunt.
Your Friend.
Doug

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseaker. Yep I agree but at 71 and on Society Security I cant afford to go south so I just have to wail and just read about everyone else having fun detecting, I just dream on. Your Friend Doug

I certainly understand THAT Doug! I await the Fourth of July to make it to 71, Mom is 94 and Dad went to 87.

Guess I'll stick around a while longer :)

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
It keeps us going. At least you get to get our and get some exercise. Lol.
When you are out hunting think about us that can’t .
Your Friend
Doug

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter is in the UP of Mich and she says it has been snowing for over a week now!

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Now that would be a great place to detect but in the winter they get some serious snow up there..
Your Friend
Doug

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont envy you guys in the north a bit, in fact I honestly don't know how you stand your winters. I live in Virginia, and while our winters are mild compared to yours...I still hate them. Even as a kid I hated the snow and winter. I've got eight years till retirement and if I can convince the wife, we are going to move farther south where I never have to see another snowflake as long as I live.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I once considered detecting and leaving markers to dig later....if you could still find them.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Darn I just got a weather alert starting at 5 am. Possible 5-10 “. OUCH

Now I got to make and start a countdown calendar to spring.

i shire wish I could afford to be a snowbird.

Your Friend.
Doug

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh, got me the same one with 8-12.

And I'm still painting my house.

Kinda a bummer really, I was detecting Christmas eve last year

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Yeh, got me the same one with 8-12.

And I'm still painting my house.

Kinda a bummer really, I was detecting Christmas eve last year
uh, that’s funny. I think you got your season wrong. Or when we just had the time change you turned the season back instead of the time. PAINTING? Lol

your Friend; Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread