WVTazman

Greenie
May 25, 2020
ELKVIEW WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone I hope all is well. I have a NOX 600 and have been thinking about upgrading to the 800 just because I like the ability to have more settings that I can change/adjust to better identify targets. I am just a novice but really would like to get more serious into mding, I have been spending a lot of time researching old 1800s schools and churches that are no longer standing in and around my area. I just wander if I will have better success with the 800. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice you folks have to offer. I will have to sell my current unit in order to afford this upgrade so that is something I have to consider as well. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

God bless,

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably not necessary unless you expect to look for tiny gold items, or, if you need a slightly faster recovery speed for junky areas.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely NOT a candidate for an upgrade.

The only reason you would ever get one is if you?re going to hunt tiny miniature gold nuggets. That job is for a special type of treasure hunter called ?the gold prospector?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you’re fine with the 600. There are certain settings you do not get with the 600 (not just the gold mode).
I believe you still have more room to grow with the 600.
Try it in the new area and then make your decision based on skill and knowledge of your current detector. Good luck!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and greetings from NY.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stay with what you have. Regarding Cudamark's remark on tiny gold - tiny gold is fun to find but bring very little $$$ in the end. A couple years I sold some gold I had found and it was damaged stuff and not a lot, but averaged $15 a ring. Which didn't pay for the gas to go get it.

OP
OP
W

WVTazman

Greenie
May 25, 2020
ELKVIEW WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the input, I believe I will take your advice and keep the 600 and try to master it. I am hunting some pretty trashy areas but I hope to start checking out those old Churches and school houses that I mentioned earlier. I love this forum so much information here and some great people from what I can see.

God bless,
David

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking back to March 2018 when I bought the 800 I wasted a lot of time learning and trying to use those advanced features. To tell you the truth I could be using the 600 and probably been happier. Even now, I rarely use the advanced features.
Save your money and maybe look at the Coiltex 10 x 5 Nox coil. Just received mine and really like it. Reminds me of my old Garrett AT Pro and the 5x8" coil which was my go to coil.
[

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then you will love the Coiltek 10x5 nox coil. really good on trashy sites and still gives you decent coverage with the 9" long coil. not sure why they call it a 10x5" since it is more like 9 x 5". But no matter, still a great coil. That will do you much better than going up to an 800. Just my opinion.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own them both you’ll do fine with the 600. Unless your hunts tiny flakes.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the rest. Keep the 600, it is also an excellent detector, (and I own the 800).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions