What should I expect upgrading from Whites Spectra V3 to Equinox 600?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you digging fanatics...I cut my teeth on the old big box Whites Spectrums in the 1980's-90's. Found the oldest coins one could in my area at the time. Never did beach hunting, don't plan to now. I lived/live on the old Sullivan Trail of central NY and Northern PA. About 13 years ago when I was flush I bought the Spectra V3 but running a business and life in general did not give me much time to use it. I'm now really creaky with movement issues but am thinking about getting back in as best as I can.

From what I can tell I don't need the 800 - seems that additional saved settings is the biggest difference between them. I can afford either, that isn't the issue, and I already have wireless headphones, pinpointer, &c.

When you upgraded similarly to what I am thinking about, what was your experience?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies for this late to the party post. . .

I still own an XLT, V3i and most recently, an MXT All-Pro. When White’s Electronics announced they were closing their doors last year, I invested in a Equinox 800 (plus a 6” sniper coil) just in case something should ever go wrong with any of my Whites of detectors. This was the main reason for my decision to purchase the NOX 800.

After purchasing a NOX 800 a year ago, I exclusively re-hunted one of my permission sites that I had in past, used all 3 of my Whites detectors on. I thought the learning curve with the NOX would be difficult at best but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t. It was significantly lighter to swing than the V3i and I was recovering more quality targets than I had expected. However, to be fair, keep in mind that ground conditions (moisture, temperature, length of grass, etc.) can play a role in what you choose to recover. Also remember, with ANY new detector you will instinctively dig more targets than you would with a detector that you’ve used for a number of years.

And finally, with the type of detecting you are interested in, I don’t think you will be disappointed with a NOX 600 but, I would still check out the 800 before committing.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you digging fanatics...I cut my teeth on the old big box Whites Spectrums in the 1980's-90's. Found the oldest coins one could in my area at the time. Never did beach hunting, don't plan to now. I lived/live on the old Sullivan Trail of central NY and Northern PA. About 13 years ago when I was flush I bought the Spectra V3 but running a business and life in general did not give me much time to use it. I'm now really creaky with movement issues but am thinking about getting back in as best as I can.

From what I can tell I don't need the 800 - seems that additional saved settings is the biggest difference between them. I can afford either, that isn't the issue, and I already have wireless headphones, pinpointer, &c.

When you upgraded similarly to what I am thinking about, what was your experience?

If you have the bucks. go for the gusto!!! With the 800 you get more adjustibility in some settings The two gold modes and the ability to store an additional custom setting of your choosing. A much better bang for your buck!!!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I got my Equinox 800 I sold my V3i. The V will give you more information, but the Knox will give more raw depth. It takes a little bit to get used to the VDIs because there is a max of only 40. Also the 500 tones is awesome. When I went over areas whereI detected before, I didn’t just get a couple more targets It was a lot more targets. Right now hitter 9-10” dimes are the normal. Also the separation is just awesome. Using the 15” coil you can pinpoint and separate multiple targets under the coil. The Knox is the deepest detector I’ve ever used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions