Junk Websites Flooding the Net!!

Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
Has anyone else recently noticed that when you do a search on Google the entire first page is full of misleading sites that are either other search engines/directories, or redirect you to other search engines/directories. It seems like something that just started within the past month or so..its really annoying! The sad part is these sites will display your cached words on Google, but when you click on them the cached words are no-where to be found...these sites are a complete waste of time, does anyone know why there are so many flooding the net???

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I think we have all noticed - you click on what you think you want and its some ad or some pay to find what you want garbage.

It may sound strange, but, sometimes, when I get alot of those, I go to page 10 or 20 and start searching - them darn things seem to cover the first few pages, at least - and the stuff on the right is worse. (in google).

B

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
Many of those are sponsered links and state so. I just go down the page past those and start looking. Doesn't mean I miss all the crap >:( but I thin it out a bit.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Problem here with a Western Eastern Treasures search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&q=western+eastern+treasures&btnG=Search

or aerial photos search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...snum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=aerial+photos&spell=1

sponsored links on right.

is it possable you's got worms ?

I had a Problem a Few weeks ago, I would click on them
and be redirected to other sites.

and sometimes it would download a fake alert.
and try to install a fake spyware scanner.

Got rid of that somehow.

S

Smee

Not only possible, probable that they are infected with spyware. I don't have that problem, but then again, I make sure my machine is clean at all times.

Make sure your antivirus is active and up to date. Never disable it to install anything . . . software or hardware . . . you're only asking for trouble when you do.

I'm a gamer, and I've never had to disable mine to install anything . . . despite warnings from many manufacturers and authors. That is just a way to infect your machine.

The problem is, everyone wants to have something on your computer reporting to them about your browsing habits, what software you are running, etc. They compile that data to know what we poor unsuspecting souls are succeptible to online. Meaning, "What will we BUY?"

Get the following items:

• Good antivirus - Avast is one of the VERY BEST, and is FREE. www.avast.com
  • Malwarebytes Anti Malware
  • Spybot Search and Destroy

Use them weekly, and you'll have less of that crap on your computer taking up your time.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
Get the following items:

• Good antivirus - Avast is one of the VERY BEST, and is FREE. www.avast.com
  • Malwarebytes Anti Malware
  • Spybot Search and Destroy

Use them weekly, and you'll have less of that crap on your computer taking up your time.

Good advice, Smee!!

A couple years back, I stopped using McAfee & Norton and started using AVG... it was a VAST improvement, with alot less bloatware. Then an AVG update started affecting my Stardock applications (when I ran XP on my old laptop), so I switched over to Avast! and it has made a WORLD of difference!!! Eventually I'll drop the money for Avast! Pro, even though the free edition works great! I've also been using Ad-Aware and Spybot for years now... both work well for the spyware. I haven't used Malwarebytes before, but I'm going to download it now and try it out. :thumbsup:

Bran <><

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
have you tried superantispyware free? I love it got my youngest daughter to try it her and the soninlaw both love it jerry

S

Smee

jerrync said:
have you tried superantispyware free? I love it got my youngest daughter to try it her and the soninlaw both love it jerry

Can't say that I have . . . but with "Castlecops.com" gone, I'm going to have to find a new source for information on programs like that.

Too many programs masquerade as spyware or virus solution (WinAntivirus comes to mind, one of the "Smitfraud infections" that give us so many headaches) and are actually viruses and other dangerous items in themselves.

I know what I use every day to clean my customers' computers, and I know what I clean off of them. It is probably a good program, but the name puts me off.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world wide web has become really all tangled up :D Makes you crazy. Spyware, addware, viruses, worms, hackers, popups, ......... did I miss anything. You buy one thing and something else comes out the following that makes your program obsolete >:(

OP
OP
Pirate Dirty Jack Rackham
Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
Thanks guys. I found out there is something on my computer, althogh Avast says 0 infections... ???

I had a friend do a search on google using the same terms I was using, he got all the web sites that should come up. On mine I only get directory sites. I also have spybot search and destroy which i cant use because somehow the DLL keeps getting deleted! The sad thing is nothing seems to pick up whatever has infected my compter... :'(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you get pop ups from strange Virus Scanning Companies
Saying your Infected ?

If you do.

Look at the name & Do a search on a different computer.

Look for sites that say how to get rid of it.

I would guess Part of the reason it is blocking a regular
search is to prevent you from finding out what
it is & How to destroy it.

Also try SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

and ADAWARE SE

S

Smee

jeff of pa said:
Saying your Infected ?

Close . . . but should read: "Do you get pop ups from strange Virus Scanning Companies Saying your Infected? Then you probably already are . . . by the program causing the popups."

Unfortunately, Spybot S&D and Adaware are useless against this scourge . . . as is your antivirus. There are actually tools created just to get rid of that infection.

It's called Smitfraud, among other things not repeatable here on this forum. It installs and holds your computer hostage until you "buy" their product. The programs claim to find viruses on your computer. They report intrusions from various web addresses --- even when you are not connected to the internet. They report spyware infections and other malware. The reports are animations that have been downloaded to your computer. The animations make it appear that your computer is being examined by a legitimate program, but no exam is taking place. It is simply embedding itself deeper into your operating system.

The most recent versions of Smitfraud (WinAntivirus, MSAntivirus, et al) actually infect your machine BEFORE you start seeing the popups. It installs IMMEDIATELY upon entering a compromised or infected website. The most recent one I have seen actually seems to morph, and runs from the temp folders of your computer. It also prevents the installation of ALL the programs I usually use to remove it . . . even running in safe mode while hiding itself. It will also disable most antiviruses and it even protects itself during online virus scans.

This crap should land someone in jail, but the same folks who demand to be able to check your computer for your browsing habits because you might be breaking the copyright laws think this is "unimportant". Go figure who owns the law. This is wirefraud and should be prosecuted by the feds, but they won't.

Basically, if that is the type of infection you have, the best thing to do is to backup your important files to CD or DVD and then reinstall windows, making sure to delete the partition and creating a new one during the reinstall.

It can be fixed, but the HOURS and HOURS of time necessary to do it are too precious to waste on something so aggravating.

Linux, to my knowledge, is immune to this ruse. Another solution is to run a "sandboxed" browser . . . protects you from infection by creating a "virtual computer" within your computer. The one I use is "Sandboxie", and it has stopped this stuff more than once when I needed to visit some "questionable" sites for information.

OP
OP
Pirate Dirty Jack Rackham
Nov 27, 2007
Valley of the Sun
Smee said:
It's called Smitfraud, among other things not repeatable here on this forum.

Thanks for mentioning that! Once I knew what to call it I was able to find SmitFraudFix which seems to have done the trick. I had to do several scans as I kept getting error messages like "file is being used by another process" but whatever it was is gone now as my search results arent turning up worthless websites anymore. This is only the second time I have had a problem that my anti virus could not fix and my computer is running on 5 years!!!! So its officially an antique. ::)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee: You posted -->

I needed to visit some "questionable" sites for information.
~~~~~~~~

sheehs I will loan you my Greys or la Fraund books on Physical anatomy if you are curious.

Snicker my friend, I apol but couldn't resist.

Actually, I have had some of those sites redirect me to reproductive anatomy in action, once to preeteen agers. I suppose that I am now on the watchlist. sigh blushing.

Don Jose de La Mancha . (Actually a living Saint)

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've noticed this, too. And no matter how many times you clean your history or update your scans, Google does this to you. I think they're relying on other engines to find your search.

I use ALTAVISTA.COM and never have that problem. A clean search engine. Other people have others, but that's mine. I never search with Google anymore.

Noodle

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smitfraud is the second to last Attack on mine.

at that point I had to get my Nephew to wipe everything out,
including My Email & Re install.

I Still can't remember the name of the Latest.

I Installed "Spyware Doctor" (I Think) it ran through said I had infections
then wanted me to buy so it could clean them.
Instead I Immediatly went into my computer & Uninstalled it
without closing it first.
I think it took the Virus with it, because I Havn't had a problem since.

that was in early december I think.

Of course I just go by Hunch, I Realy don't know what I'm doing. :P

Smee said:
jeff of pa said:
Saying your Infected ?

Close . . . but should read: "Do you get pop ups from strange Virus Scanning Companies Saying your Infected? Then you probably already are . . . by the program causing the popups."

Unfortunately, Spybot S&D and Adaware are useless against this scourge . . . as is your antivirus. There are actually tools created just to get rid of that infection.

It's called Smitfraud, among other things not repeatable here on this forum. It installs and holds your computer hostage until you "buy" their product. The programs claim to find viruses on your computer. They report intrusions from various web addresses --- even when you are not connected to the internet. They report spyware infections and other malware. The reports are animations that have been downloaded to your computer. The animations make it appear that your computer is being examined by a legitimate program, but no exam is taking place. It is simply embedding itself deeper into your operating system.

The most recent versions of Smitfraud (WinAntivirus, MSAntivirus, et al) actually infect your machine BEFORE you start seeing the popups. It installs IMMEDIATELY upon entering a compromised or infected website. The most recent one I have seen actually seems to morph, and runs from the temp folders of your computer. It also prevents the installation of ALL the programs I usually use to remove it . . . even running in safe mode while hiding itself. It will also disable most antiviruses and it even protects itself during online virus scans.

This crap should land someone in jail, but the same folks who demand to be able to check your computer for your browsing habits because you might be breaking the copyright laws think this is "unimportant". Go figure who owns the law. This is wirefraud and should be prosecuted by the feds, but they won't.

Basically, if that is the type of infection you have, the best thing to do is to backup your important files to CD or DVD and then reinstall windows, making sure to delete the partition and creating a new one during the reinstall.

It can be fixed, but the HOURS and HOURS of time necessary to do it are too precious to waste on something so aggravating.

Linux, to my knowledge, is immune to this ruse. Another solution is to run a "sandboxed" browser . . . protects you from infection by creating a "virtual computer" within your computer. The one I use is "Sandboxie", and it has stopped this stuff more than once when I needed to visit some "questionable" sites for information.

S

Smee

Noodle said:
I've noticed this, too. And no matter how many times you clean your history or update your scans, Google does this to you. I think they're relying on other engines to find your search.

I use ALTAVISTA.COM and never have that problem. A clean search engine. Other people have others, but that's mine. I never search with Google anymore.

Noodle

It is my understanding that when you're infected, the virus intercepts your Google and Yahoo search terms -they're the most popular - and that is the reason for the bogus search results.

Personally, I prefer http://www.metaeureka.com and their "metasearch engine" because I sometimes need to dig a little deeper. You might also consider downloading the Copernic program. Even the free version digs really deep using up to 17 different search engines to compile results. Click on result and it opens your browser taking you to the page. http://www.copernic.com

Real de Tayopa said:
Smee: You posted -->

I needed to visit some "questionable" sites for information.
~~~~~~~~

sheehs I will loan you my Greys or la Fraund books on Physical anatomy if you are curious.

Snicker my friend, I apol but couldn't resist.

Actually, I have had some of those sites redirect me to reproductive anatomy in action, once to preeteen agers. I suppose that I am now on the watchlist. sigh blushing.

Don Jose de La Mancha . (Actually a living Saint)

No offense taken . . . as most people would think what I'm doing is even worse than that. I am a skiptracer - when someone owes money and runs from their creditors - I'm the guy who finds them and takes the LEGAL steps to recover property and money owed.

The computer work is done between jobs for my employer. We have very little of the running occur anymore, although the economy tanking is good for my employment prospects. :-\

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, If you ever have a problem with the vundo virus or the AV2009, here is a very good cleaner for it..Run it twice to make sure it gets all the bugs.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
It is free but you can buy the full version. Mbam for short.

S

Smee

SC_hunter said:
Folks, If you ever have a problem with the vundo virus or the AV2009, here is a very good cleaner for it..Run it twice to make sure it gets all the bugs.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
It is free but you can buy the full version. Mbam for short.

The newest version of smitfraud disables malwarebytes from installing. It blocks all setup programs, period. You can probably install it on a new BartPE compilation though, but it probably isn't worth the time. Best practices (as in saving a customer tons of money) is usually to backup important items and just reinstall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread