Did Politics and Religion get turned off again? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Did Politics and Religion get turned off again?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Likely, B.C.

Aug 2008
    Quesnel Forks, Autumn Festival ca. 1895
    10 times

Re: Did Politics and Religion get turned off again?

Why does religion or politics matter in this forum, as far as treasure is concerned?

Treasure is the one non-partisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "It's a quest. It's a quest for fun, I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun, we're all gonna have so much #!@*^& fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our %$#@ smiles!" - Clark Griswold, National Lampoon's 'Family Vacation'.

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Likely Guy
    Why does religion or politics matter in this forum, as far as treasure is concerned?

Treasure is the one non-partisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.
    There was no required participation. It was all voluntary; same as the dozen or more other topic headings that have nothing to do with THing. Different sections for discussions just like a group of folks sitting around a campfire talking about anything and everything that pops up. It's all good.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

ca
    Likely, B.C.

Aug 2008
    Quesnel Forks, Autumn Festival ca. 1895
    10 times

If it's all good, then why are we even talking about this?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    "It's a quest. It's a quest for fun, I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun, we're all gonna have so much #!@*^& fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our %$#@ smiles!" - Clark Griswold, National Lampoon's 'Family Vacation'.

us
    Oct 2008
    6 times

Glad to see this thread, was fixin to ask the same question...I hope it comes back tho. I realize that some people don't agree with some of my opinions and vice versa, but like we say in AA, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one...
    The political forum was a great read, the links that were posted helped add a different dimension to the mainstream media hype that we saw on the television news, not just the big three but also Fox and the other conservatives...JMO
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    132 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Treasure is the one nonpartisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.
    If you're a metal detectorist then maybe the religious topics wouldn't matter you, but, politics might as we see our freedoms and liberties eroding... town parks closing to detectorists and even beaches.

If you're following leads whilst Treasure Hunting for the "big one" then religious topics may be of huge interest because most large treasures are in some way connected to the religious bands of yore. Local politics might not come close to playing a part in your adventuring, but ask the shipwreck folks about their rights being eroded... or the gold mine operators anywhere that face HUGE political issues all he time.

Mostly though it is/was a great place to let off steam and get steamed... not for everyone, but great for others! It too often turned ugly and mostly ended up being just a place to either get preachy, get nonpartisan and share YOUR ideas louder than the other guy. 

Point is that the religious and politics areas were called the "Rubber Rooms" for a reason and both was a fantastic place if you could keep your head above water... always a place where emotions run very high.

You cannot separate religion or politics from the hobby IMO, it might only be on a local scale but we should all be paying attention to both as hobbyist.

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
    206 times
    Metal Detecting

Since P and R were essentially un-moderated it was kind of like the tree house in the backyard where the kids could go and be out of sight of the parents. When the parents finally go out and look in the tree house and see what's going on they react accordingly. Although I might not like it, I respect the right of a site to do whatever the proprietor deems desirable.

P and R, if they came back, should be moderated, but I know the moderators don't really like hanging out there. If they were moderated, they would probably not have been removed (imo).

I never visited politics very often until a while back. The reason I started going there was because our hobby, the country and the world are in pretty rough shape at the moment. I wanted to hear what people were thinking. Of course, I got sucked in to a few threads, but most of us behave properly regardless of how strongly we hold a viewpoint. It was fun and educational as well if you approached it with the proper mindset.

Beep
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Your Only One Swing Away From An Amazing Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    124 times

Maybe I am wrong but I consider this (forum) a place to be with friends, no different than sitting on my porch discussing things that concern me or them.
    I do care about our country and the many things it stands for. I have always respected other opinions and thier beliefs. Our country stands for mainly one word "Freedom".
    The bottom line with the site is it is Marc's choice on what is allowed or disallowed, and if he feels things are getting heated or out of line in areas it is his right to discontinue them or do as he feels fit. It is his site and I myself stand behind his decisions.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    58 times

Baked Alaska is far better than Pineapple upside down cake
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

Charter Member
    us
    Your Only One Swing Away From An Amazing Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    124 times

Quote Originally Posted by EDDE
    Baked Alaska is far better than Pineapple upside down cake
    I have to agree
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    6510 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    I had both of them on my ignore list, so I guess that tells ya where I stand on them
    Ditto.

No sense in getting involved in worthless, ceaseless arguing.

SWR, I paid for the Search feature.

-Buck
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    2020 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Republic of Texas Navy Cuff Button
    US Civil War Belt Plate
    Eagle Breastplate
    Louisiana Pelican Cuff Button
    Louisiana Pelican Coat Button
    Corps of Artillerists and Engineers Button 1798-1802
    Two CW eagle coat buttons
    One CW eagle cuff button
    New York Staff Officer Cuff Button
    Monogrammed Silver Love Token
    M1858 Remington Revolver Trigger Guard
    Coin Silver mid-1800s "Fede Ring"
    1820s-30s silver eyeglasses frame fragment
    dateless half real
    1850 20 centimes French silver
    1852 three cent silver
    1840, 1851, 1851-O, 1852-O, two 1853's, 1856-O, 1857, and 1858-O Half Dimes
    1891-O and one dateless Seated Liberty Dime
    1892-O and 1899 Barber Quarters
    1942-P and two 1943-P War Nickels
    shotgun breechblock
    iron prisoner shackles
    picket pin
    Spurs
    Plantation tokens
    Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

OUR 2019 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...9-wrap-up.html
    OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Atticus Finch

Although I rarely frequented those threads, I often found them not dissimilar to cults. Too much false brainwashing.

I am glad they are gone and gone permanently.

A.F.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

May 2008
    Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
    White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
    9 times

If that is the case, then shouldn't that also apply to avatars, usernames, and signatures?

Jay

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
    206 times
    Metal Detecting

To each his own. If P and R made you uncomfortable, or you found them distasteful, or you were incapable of controlling your own thought processes, then you were certainly under no obligation to visit those boards.

As in all things, there were good and bad aspects to P and R. Some of us liked the good parts and it was very entertaining at times.

Beep

Smee

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Jim
    If you're a metal detectorist then maybe the religious topics wouldn't matter you, but, politics might as we see our freedoms and liberties eroding... town parks closing to detectorists and even beaches.
    At the same time "as we see our freedoms and liberties eroding", censorship is growing . . . At the same time Censorship is growing, we see faith fading . . . As we see faith fading, "we see our freedoms and liberties eroding."

There must be some sort of correlation . . .
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    77 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Personaly Im not glad at this time politics forum is gone, (and am suspicious of the reason given).
    I belive there is to much at stake for another forum that helped folks see the real facts (wether we wanted to hear them or not) of the situation in America today to be delited from avalibility. I know theres plenty other places to get it, but most are so packed with posters you cant get the facts out there. This is one sight I belive folks could take the time to read and see diffrent opinions.
    I have some really good friends here, and some Iv even broke Bread with, we dont always agree (and somtimes it gets heated) but I know when it comes time to put a coil to the ground we are the best of friends.
    I thought the members only rule for P.and R. was the right solution.
    But I dont own the sight, so I stand behind the owners decision (for whatever reason) and am gratful to Marc, those that voulenteer thier time, and Tnet for the use of it. If discussing politics on Tnet slip into oblivion, so be it.

Your "Texan Connection"
    Albert
    Leave no stone unturned.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links