Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcgearhead said:
We have none of that fancy caller i.d. anymore. Costs extra money, extra money we just don't have at this time. Instead we have an old style answering machine. It works just as good. Especially since we are behind on some bills at the moment. We just sit back and let them start talkin' into the machine. If it is somebody we know they ususally just say somethin' like if your there pick up the phone. If it's a bill collector or telemarketer they usually start givin' out all the info about who they are and what number to call 'em back with. It's a little old fashioned but it screens the calls on the cheap side !!!

Right on! That's what I did too. Machines are really cheap now. I got one two years ago for $20, dropped all the phancy phone pheatures and it paid for itself after the first month. Always nice to see that blinking light when you get home too (credit to Seinfeld for that observation).

More telemarketer torture --> play the piano on the keypad. Worse than nails on the blackboard to someone who's on the phone all day. ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on that no-call list, which works pretty good. I got the answering machine set to Spanish, which discourages a lot of messages bein left. If I happen to answer the phone by mistake, I can start off in Spanish or English, whichever is the opposite of the caller's language. This works well except for Wells Fargo, who have a bunch of bi-lingual folks working for them apparently. I just hang up. I don't like em, but telemarketers have got to be the most reviled section of the work force ever. It would be cool to talk to one and find out what motivated them to take that job in the first place and what their goals were.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
I am constantly plagued by telemarketers. Thanks for the tips.

I've always wished there were a way to shut them off once and for all.

It does no good to demand they take me off their calling list and the no call list only works for a short time for me.

Sometimes I like to dream about a special box that when I push the button on it it charges the caller $10 payable to me. Now that would be great!

teddy

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Monty said:
I am a yearly member of the NRA and have been most of my adult life. I pay my dues on time every year, read their magazine, and defend our 2nd amendment rights every chance I get. I write my congressmen on their behalf and encourage newbies to engage in the shooting sports and voice my reasons for doing so every chance I get. But for the last several years the NRA has turned into a junk mail mecca. I get letter after letter after letter from them soliciting donations for this or that and notice after notice to renew my membership when it is not due for 8 months! Are they so stupid to realize that by cutting out all this junk mail they could save thousands if not millions of dollars each year? I have brought this to their attention more than once and got no reply. It's just nuts! And it's not just junk mail, it's junk email too. I have a junkmail email account that I only use to contact places where they insist I give an email address. I get about 2,000 spam mails a month on it! And the no call soliciter list is a hoax as I get hundreds of calls just about dinner time every night. And thank God for caller Id! I use to reject their calls and phone them back at 3:00 am when I worked nights but they get around that now. Dang , this turned into a rant! Monty

Good post Monty and I know exactly what you're experiencing.
teddy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah junk mail--- take the blank order forms from A --put into B's envelope --(with the letters NO in red magic marker on it )-- then do the same thing with with B's stuff except put it in A's envelope. --mail em -- cost them postage to recieve the NO a gram.--and even if they foward it to the correct address (costing them even more money)-- its marked NO in bright red letters for the "original"dolt sender that sent it to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions