Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I got 12 since the first of the year, the weather got 3. I saw a momma squirrel building a nest in my big oak tree this summer. Kinda' unusual because they usually just raise one litter per year. About 3 weeks ago we had a severe thunderstorm with high winds. The next day I found 3 babies that had blown out of the nest overnight. I had the momma still lurking around but couldn't get a good clean, safe shot at her until yesterday afternoon. She was right on top of a utility pole in my back yard. She had been using the electric lines to get to the roof of my house and then jump into my big oak tree. Anyway, I popped her right between the eyes at about 40 yds. with my trusty pellet rifle! She dropoped like a rock! This little RWS rifle is deadly accurate out to about 40 yds at the outer limit. I wouldn't shoot at anything further away for fear of not having a humane kill. It churns out 1200 fps at the muzzle, about like a .22 short but it is .177 caliber so the velocity drops off fast. For anyone who hasn't been on Tnet very long, I have been at war with the squirrels for about 2 years. They have chewed my cable TV line in two about 3 times and I have my TV, Computer and phone bundled onto that line. Then in about June one of them tried to build a nest under the hood of my Durango and it cost me $340.00 to repair. They ate two of the wires to my fuel injectors on a hemi engine. Had to replace two injectors completely. So, the war goes on. Monty

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty, pellets is cheaper than auto wiring anytime...........NGE

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice shot. :thumbsup:

You know they're very tasty if prepared right. Boiled tender then battered and deep fried. Yum Yum.

Of coarse you ruined that one. The brain is the best part. :headbang:

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Ya know Monty, I think it's time you admit defeat. You've been gunning for these squirrels for what? The last 3 years? The more you kill, the more they reproduce. You ain't never going to win.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
lumbercamp said:
Ya know Monty, I think it's time you admit defeat. You've been gunning for these squirrels for what? The last 3 years? The more you kill, the more they reproduce. You ain't never going to win.

Maybe not, but it's a great food source.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
he he i live on an island,my girlfriend thought it would be nice to feed them raw nuts,well i must say the squirrels took to them very fast.they are outside the door every morning.i am out there trying to keep the peace between the bluejays,cats and the squirrels. Monty,take a vacation and you could raise your count... :occasion14:

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Good shootin, My Neihboor feed them till they cost him abunch of cash similar to your story. He was huntin them after that.
Got complulsive about it. I seldom saw him in the yard without his 22 slung over his shoulder or on the tractor.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Good shooting Monty! 25 for me last year, and 28 so far this year! And that is just confirmed kills, as a few have made it across the fence into the DMZ ::)!! Good luck, Gpurs...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
YAY ! For you . I support ya and am surprised that so far no one has dogged you for varmint shooting .

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty Dude,
I hear that they are gettin' organized....
Just a heads up.

Scott

Attachments

• djurbild83.jpg
    djurbild83.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 765
  • djurbild290.jpg
    djurbild290.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 818
  • djurbild248.jpg
    djurbild248.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 820
  • djurbild83.jpg
    djurbild83.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 760
  • djurbild290.jpg
    djurbild290.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 815
  • djurbild248.jpg
    djurbild248.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 813
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a sabbatical for two months this spring. My wife shamed me for shooting them while the grandkids were around. That's when they broke the truce and ate my automobile wiring. Blame them , don't blame me. We never had squirrels for over 20 years and then so much of the woodland around us was developed into housing I guess the damn greedy developers took their habitat so they adapted and moved in with us. That's a terrible sentence. The squirrels moved in, not the developers! LOL ! Anyway, several of the people around here have had to call an exterminator to get the squirrels out of their attics. They chew the wood away around the screened eaves and nest inside the Attics. Here they chew wiring and short out the electrical system and cause a fire hazard. Again, it's the squirrels who do that , not the neighbors! Dang, and I use to be a fairly good writer! Anyway, as long as I can keep them under control by thinning out the numbers it helps. This could apply to both the squirrels and neighbors! Some of them are crazier than me! LOL again! Monty

S

stefen

Might consider 22-rifle bird shot or snake load pellets...short distance with killing power

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both of those options stefen, but the birdshot won't kill humanely at longer ranges, say over 10 feet, and the .22 is too loud. I can't get the snake loads in anything but larger calibers and they are really loud! Some nosy neighbor would probably complain. The pellet rifle is deadly at the distance I have to shoot and doesn't make hardly any noise. I also have to be very careful about penetration and what is behind my target. Monty

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
correct score -- monte 12 ( you can not count the weather related ones not fair) --- squirrels --$340 + whatever the 3 cable repairs cost -- even at $340 truck repair cost alone those buggers are $28.33 each --- more than the best meat in the food store lb for lb wize. --- thats some expensive brunswick stew there

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from the 'Nam era Ivan. It's body count that really counts.! Monty

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
true monte , money don't mean much if your not around to spend it. ;D :icon_thumright:
P.S. a modified maw deuce ala gunny carlos hathcock --can range a mile easy :wink: so can a barrett 50 cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread