Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's just me ,but here in Texas the economy is doing pretty good,I only have a few friends that lost their jobs a couple of months back but they're all working now.There's all kinds of things being built here in Austin,roads,strip centers houses,apartments and about 3-6 large condo projects being built downtown,With that about the only thing I've done without is fastfood and I don't go and see new movies or even rent them. :icon_thumleft:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy,

I'm glad to hear about the economy in your area - we need more stories like that. Not every light at the end of the tunnel is a train!

B

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mrs.oroblanco said:
Produce Guy,

I'm glad to hear about the economy in your area - we need more stories like that. Not every light at the end of the tunnel is a train!

B
Texas was an economic miracle well before the downturn.
250,000 new jobs were created in Texas between October 2007 and October 2008, while 500,000 jobs were lost in the United States.
Texas economy created 1,615,000 jobs from 1997-2007; during the same period, Ohio lost 10,400 jobs.
Texas is home to more Fortune 500 companies (58) than any other state.
CNBC ranked Texas as “America’s Top State for Business”.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
piggy said:
Pirate Dirty Jack Rackham said:
I gave up driving! Not necessarily due to the economy, I just got sick of the insurance, gas, tags/registration and the whole scam! Of course i'm a male under 25 so i'm automatically a danger on the road >:( My insurance was through the roof! $160.00 a month liability only! Luckily everything I need is close by, I have to arrange for transportation every now and then for certain things but i'm saving roughly 300.00 a month without a vehicle! :headbang:
What you have done is admirable in breaking the vicious cycle of transport costs.
[you forgot the cost of a rig(s) also repair, maintenance etc.if you pay 3600.oo/year for insurance,i strongly suspect that at your age, about a quarter of your income.unless your a college grad, then only one sixth your income.that relies upon your skill being in demand at this time.the world has become precarious. my father bought and paid for house while earning about six bux an hour.try that now, even given earnings increases/motivated sellers.its all going somewhere,think straight up the food chain.middle class must shrink.world upper class getting bigger.1776/quote]

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Unfortunately i've been forced to go without employment.

Make no mistake I don't like working, but I like it even less when nobody wants to give me the time of day let alone hire me.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
piggy said:
mrs.oroblanco said:
Produce Guy,

B
Texas was an economic miracle well before the downturn.
250,000 new jobs were created in Texas between October 2007 and October 2008, while 500,000 jobs were lost in the United States.
Texas economy created 1,615,000 jobs from 1997-2007; during the same period, Ohio lost 10,400 jobs.
Texas is home to more Fortune 500 companies (58) than any other state.
CNBC ranked Texas as “America’s Top State for Business”.

Texas has seen very little of the tragic consequences of Government mismanagement and Coperate greed in out nation. Yep, no big changes here, but my Sister and her Beau will be unemployed when the factory making auto parts in Jackson Tennessee closes down December 2. Even those not directly touched by this blown up economy, it indirectly touches you in one form or another.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't doin without nothin in this economy, cause I never had set my expectations that high, or tried to rise above my raising. I'm makin more money now than I ever did, and I set it back and don't try to over-extend myself. As to the illegals havin a field day, they really ain't. And I will address that. My wife is illegal. So's my stepson. Our government has a process in place to address this. Granted it sucks, and it costs a lot of money. Today I paid $69 to my lawyer to mail a letter. Apparently he uses a different post office than I do. That marchin down the street wavin Mexican flags chantin 'Si se puede' don't get it. Try that in Mexico and see what happens. You're in America, so get with the program, and I'll admit it sucks, but it's all we got right now. And if y'all know folks who don't have a job during this upcoming 'holiday season', help em out. If you got the ways and means, invite em over for supper. I spect they'd appreciate it.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
texastee2007 said:
piggy said:
Because my hands are arthritic I've always wanted an electric can opener but have resisted buying one.
I think this is unusual.

If you are in the USA and pm me your address, I think I have one put away that I could send you.
Thanks for the offer, but it's about summer down here in South Earth so I have fresh produce.
Maybe for next winter if I can't be bothered pickling.

S

stefen

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
pigiron said:
Because my hands are arthritic I've always wanted an electric can opener but have resisted buying one.
I think this is unusual.

If you will take a shallow dish of golden raisens and cover them in gin until
the gin evaporates a small spoon full of raisens per day will help your arthritus more than celebrex without the bad side effects. siegfried schlagrule

My right hip is extremely arthritic due to being displaced years ago when a horse fell on me...I'm going to try this today...

Hmmmmmm. Wonder if it will work if I eat a handful of raisins and drink a gin & tonic?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lasivian said:

Make no mistake I don't like working, but I like it even less when nobody wants to give me the time of day let alone hire me.
You should become more humble.
Become a waiter and beg for a living.

How to increase YOUR tips if you are in the service profession and receive tips
12 Ways Servers Can Increase Tips
by Dr. Michael Lynn, Cornell School of Hotel Administration
1. Introduce yourself by name.
2. Personalize your appearance - wear a funny tie, flower to make you stand out.
3. Kneel down next to tables.
4. Recommend appetizers, wine and other extra items to increase sales and resulting tips.
5. Smile.

6. Tell a joke or play a game with customers.

7. Touch customers.
8. Thank customers.
9. Draw a picture on the check.
10. Use credit-card tip trays.
11. Call customers by name.
12. Give customers after-dinner candy

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
piggy said:
Lasivian said:

You should become more humble.
Become a waiter and beg for a living.

No need to, i'm well off, I just don't like to live off my savings accounts any more than is required, they won't last forever.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be too proud to wash windows!

I know a 70 year old man who makes over $100.00 a day just washing windows, (he only does first floor windows) and all he has is a bucket and a squeegee, and only one arm. He takes the bus to business sections of town to wash windows and then back home. (he also can not read or write)

When the going gets tough you have to reach down and find the strength to carry on. Life is tough and you just have to be tougher.

To get through this you have to get out of your comfort zone and do what ever it takes. You have to take charge of your own destiny.

Just do it!

GG~

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im always doing my best to jump start the economy!!!
I SPEND MONEY LIKE crazzzzzy !!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:

Dear Santa.....I would like.....kidding....LOL

i love you tee anything you want...ill get for you!!!!!
ALWAYS!!! loveeee you

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D olepossum,

Here is just a little tip to make you feel better.

When you see someone (of any color or any race) driving around in a financed car, living in a financed house, and spending a whole lot more than is normal - they aren't doing better than you - in fact - they are probably WAY, WAY in debt, and the house of cards will eventually fall down.

I'd rather be driving by 5 year old SUV, with my 1989 pick-up truck, living on property that is fully paid for, with a cell phone that is pay-as-you-go, so there are no cell bills, but I can call 911 if I need to, and having a garden so I never have to buy vegetables, and work part-time for a rancher so we don't have to pay for beef or sheep, make a trip once a month to the "big city" to buy for the entire month (saves over $150.00 a month, buying toilet paper and Bounty and coffee and sugar - and some other items, in bulk). If I buy something with my credit card, I pay it off every month (which is a good thing since every credit card has raised my rates - my lowest now, which used to be 6.99% is 14.99%, and they never actually get to charge it). I barter a bunch of stuff in the summer - fresh veggies for home-gathered honey, and other stuff - we always have a big garden and can and freeze for us - but there is always extra for sale and trades right up to Thanksgiving, where we are getting rid of the last of our pumpkins. Heck, I've even traded an old violin for a wood stove.

Anyone who lives within their means are always "richer" than those who charge everything. And you can sleep better at night.

B

If you can look at someone and say "how can they afford that when I can't" - they probably cannot afford it.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:
texastee2007 said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:

Dear Santa.....I would like.....kidding....LOL

i love you tee anything you want...ill get for you!!!!!
ALWAYS!!! loveeee you

love ya right back Kelly.....is there anything better then that??? I think not....your so cool!!!

so are you tee.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
mrs.oroblanco said:
;D ;D ;D olepossum,

Here is just a little tip to make you feel better.

When you see someone (of any color or any race) driving around in a financed car, living in a financed house, and spending a whole lot more than is normal - they aren't doing better than you - in fact - they are probably WAY, WAY in debt, and the house of cards will eventually fall down.

I'd rather be driving by 5 year old SUV, with my 1989 pick-up truck, living on property that is fully paid for, with a cell phone that is pay-as-you-go, so there are no cell bills, but I can call 911 if I need to, and having a garden so I never have to buy vegetables, and work part-time for a rancher so we don't have to pay for beef or sheep, make a trip once a month to the "big city" to buy for the entire month (saves over $150.00 a month, buying toilet paper and Bounty and coffee and sugar - and some other items, in bulk). If I buy something with my credit card, I pay it off every month (which is a good thing since every credit card has raised my rates - my lowest now, which used to be 6.99% is 14.99%, and they never actually get to charge it). I barter a bunch of stuff in the summer - fresh veggies for home-gathered honey, and other stuff - we always have a big garden and can and freeze for us - but there is always extra for sale and trades right up to Thanksgiving, where we are getting rid of the last of our pumpkins. Heck, I've even traded an old violin for a wood stove.

Anyone who lives within their means are always "richer" than those who charge everything. And you can sleep better at night.

B

If you can look at someone and say "how can they afford that when I can't" - they probably cannot afford it.
The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves. ~William Penn, Some Fruits of Solitude, 1693

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
piggy said:
I hope it doesn't affect my health but I've been forced to eat canned food instead of fresh or frozen.
This has reduced my power bill as I've turned my freezer off and also canned food comes pre-cooked.

Perhaps you can try disconnecting your computer for extended periods of time, that'll save you a bundle !

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
AU24K said:
Wonder if health care insurance is going to be just like that.
I haven't been sick or injured for over 10 years now. Don't need health insurance. Don't want it, can't afford it and DON'T want to be forced into it.

"Hi. I'm from the Government and I'm here to help...."

Scott
Ah, the supreme confidence of youth. Anyone can be cut down in their prime of life with
a stroke , a dormant hidden cancer or any one of 100's of debilitating diseases.
Driving a car or walking the dog could result in an accident requiring the need for
expensive prosthetics.

Attachments

• Hit and run victim.jpg
    Hit and run victim.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 308

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions