Unusual things people are going without in this economy

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
mrs.oroblanco said:
Though, I would really have to think hard about the morals of a person who does nothing with their lives, just because their family has money, and they get money for free.

But that's the absolute top of the food chain in the USA. Having money without having to work for it. Nobody cares how you got rich, it's being rich that matters.

If you personally want to question someone's morals just because they didn't have to work for their money go ahead, but the majority of society doesn't bother to.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian,

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. I don't care if you have money or where you got it. But, I would expect every human being, to contribute to society, in one way or another.

It might just be by paying their fair share of taxes and/or doing charity work, or the like.

The questioning of morals comes to mind when you have it all and do absolutely nothing with your life.

B

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
mrs.oroblanco said:
Lasivian,

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant. I don't care if you have money or where you got it. But, I would expect every human being, to contribute to society, in one way or another.

It might just be by paying their fair share of taxes and/or doing charity work, or the like.

The questioning of morals comes to mind when you have it all and do absolutely nothing with your life.

B

She pays taxes every time she buys something, property tax, utility bills, etc.

sounds like your just in the mood to throw stones.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not in the mood to throw stones - at anybody.

It is my opinion - and, regardless of what some might think, I have the right to express it.

If you or anyone else thinks it is ok to be a lump in society - so be it - me---not so much.

Apparently, morals are more important to some people than others.

B

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every year we harvest deer for familys that need the food. This year the demand is way up. I also plan on putting 3-4 deer in my freezer as well to save on beef.
Its hard times for sure and if you can help anyone you would be surprised what just a little means when you have none.
TnMountains

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is great TnMountains, that you donate game.

Some states have stopped that practice, apparently thinking its too much of a pain to certify the meat. Pennsylvania used to accept game, and, new roadkills, as long as it was killed and cleaned within a certain time period. (also, in Pa., if you hit a deer with your vehicle, you can legally keep it for yourself, you just have to report it).

About 5 years ago, we had just such an incident, and the carcass was refused, with the explanation that they didn't have the resources to certify the meat.

What a waste, to be sure. The car that hit it was directly in front of us, and when we called the agency, the animal was still alive (broke its back).
The guy came to the scene, shot it, and drug it off the road. About a week later, a special truck had to pick it up. (we were not allowed to take it, since we had not hit it - but I'd do that whole thing differently today).

In the west, here - killing an animal by mistake is not the big issue - its the wasting of meat. A 25 dollar fine for killing an animal accidentally (like a doe instead of a buck), you get another license, and they take the meat. Leave the meat and - you are going to jail - and it is a felony.

It wasn't that many years ago that if it wasn't for deer, our protein intake would have been sadly lacking. And we never kill anything that we will not eat. (no killing things just to put them up on a wall, or just to kill them) - Sorry, but I just lied - the exception is poisonous snakes, especially if they are near my house.

B

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
There's really not much I would cut back on even though I work and make around 30,000-34,000 a year and this year I will be short of making 30,000 I have seen my medical insurance and deductables increase so less take home pay for me. I have it figured out for 2010 what I would pay thru out the year on medical cost $6,500 out-of-pocket in all. But right now that is minimum I have a flex account that is 2,000 for next year anything over that comes out of my pocket. <<<Most likely 2,000 ain't $#% and I'm still going to pay out the ass on medical cost. So much for buying a house next year hell I don't make enough money after taxes and medical insurance to afford a mortgage.

The only thing i've been cutting back on is eating expensive. I usually buy the cheap 1.00 dinner plates at walmart.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
its not the insurance that bothers me if i get sick i go to the dr and get fixxed and yes get a bill and pay it slowly but what i am saying is the illegals that come here get free this free that pay no taxes and live and drive better than me for six months go back to thier countries for 30 days and come back and do it all over again change thier names and repeat i just try and get a job to supprt my family and the american dream and cant do it be cause the illegals have the better majority of the good paying jobs due to the owners not having to pay and employeer fees on them and leave the country with 10 -20 thousand dollars tax free and unpayed for vehicles and all the goodies in life paid for with credit cards that are obtained by one or more of thier 18 identitieswe try and get a head in life and take 4 steps back damn what a rip off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread