Lucky Horseshoes - Great stocking filler for a large extended family!

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Season's Greetings to you all!

Black-Bird.jpg

You may remember me mentioning in some last post that all the Horseshoes that I'd found during this last year were all going to be painted up and given away as presents - well - the response was much better than I had anticipated - They loved them! especially the nephews and cousins of the younger generation - some being nailed above the doors that very day. Even more asked for for their friends!

I had knocked as much rust off as possible, painted with Hammerite and packaged with some info:

Horseshoe.jpg

- Found buried deep in Derbyshire’s history-drenched soil -
- Age unknown -
- Applied with Hammerite to halt further corrosion -

The lucky horseshoe is really a form of the crescent, which derives its fortunate influence from the moon goddess. Whether called Isis, Diana, Artemis, Tanith, Ishtar, Asterte, Hecate, Cerridwen, or any myriad of names by which she was known, the moon goddess was the ancient mistress of magic and enchantment. The figures of the lunar crescent and the horse appear together on ancient British coins, notably those minted by the Iceni, the people of Queen Boadicea.
The horseshoe also carries with it the magic of the smith and his craft. All good blacksmiths were supposed to be natural magicians. Our Anglo-Saxon ancestors delighted in the tales of Wayland the Smith and his magical powers. In later years, with the spread of Christianity, legends were told of doughty St Dunstan, who worked as a blacksmith and had frequent magical contests with the Devil. Cold iron, especially in the form of a horseshoe, was protection against the mischief of the fairies and all sorts of uncanny beings.
The luckiest horseshoe is that which you find yourself, by accident, cast upon the road or earth. You should nail it up over your door, for luck; but be sure to have the ends of the horseshoe pointing upwards, or the luck will run out. Only the blacksmith himself is privileged to hang a lucky horseshoe with the ends down, to pour out the luck upon the forge.

I haven't been digging Iron since getting the Etrac - but I think I might just have to start digging the odd one here and there once more.

If I don't see you before - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
That was a good read, I never new why they were lucky! Interesting to see they thought Blacksmiths were magical :icon_thumleft:

I bet that saved you a few quid as well :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread