If S**t hit the fan

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go to the electric panel and shut off the breaker that fed the fan, don't want to be stepping near that dirty thing. :D

Seriously though. What kind of situation are you talking about? Many of us are so spread out that helping each other might be limited to dispensing information to one another, not that information is a bad thing.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWEET - thank you Rando. It's always too late if you have time to think about it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old "fecal matter impacting the air motivating device" covers a lot of things. Which of these "things" are you talking about?

---punks walking the street with weapons?
---idiot rioters who don't know what they want; other than to destroy other peoples' property?

What specific actions are you afraid of? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :help:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
"fecal matter impacting the air motivating device"

See that is Such a Nicer way to put it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FEAR? F*** fear. if you r fearful of anything you should reconsider your lifestyle. Yeah, the cops scare me, but ratch it up a level and i will [censored], but...as I hope most Americans feel...don't f with me....period.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never fear..... but my question still stands. What specific situation are you talking about? Or don't you have one as an example?

One person's catastrophe is another person's minor irritation. What would YOU be really, really, really, really, really upset about? If you'd let us know, then we could be sure to NOT do it.........at least around YOU. :laughing7:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
The Beep Goes On said:
FEAR? F*** fear. if you r fearful of anything you should reconsider your lifestyle. Yeah, the cops scare me, but ratch it up a level and i will [censored], but...as I hope most Americans feel...don't f with me....period.

Spend time in front of the mirror and look into your own eyes.

In a state of friendliness within, you are never a victim.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortstack said:
Never fear.... but my question still stands. What specific situation are you talking about? Or don't you have one as an example?

One person's catastrophe is another person's minor irritation. What would YOU be really, really, really, really, really upset about? If you'd let us know, then we could be sure to NOT do it.........at least around YOU. :laughing7:

JIT stocking, We're all 2 days away from starvation.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Unhappiness as a contract.

There IS a contract to be unhappy. There is an offer and there is an acceptance. Then it becomes a contract.

Somebody may make you an offer, but if you reject it, there is no contract. It IS up to us with any external, negative situation.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And..........there is no water.

Most rural areas have their own well pumps (electric), and, if you are in the city, they pump that water to you. Very few people have gravity fed water supplies.

We had several days without telephone with this last blast (which, frankly, I didn't miss), but, we do keep a generator - actually, we keep 2, one large and one kind of small, with fuel on-hand at all times.

B

PS: We also keep 2 extra, full, propane tanks.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I truly don't get this....but I guess it's not for me to get.

I no longer feel any "charter member" responsibility or kinship.

What's w/ the victim mentality?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dammmmmn, Rando. How many locks do you have on your doors? Are your windows barred? How about some boobytraps in the yard?

During Katrina, we were without power for almost 7 days; and half that time without city water. We did have natural gas, but a few pieces of wood would have replaced that for cooking and boiling water, or syphoning a few ounces of gas from my car or truck to put on a couple of hands full of dirt held in a bean can for cooking / boiling. Fixing one food item and NOT a seven course meal, too. And, as a fallback point, the thigh muscle of a looter in a TRUE emergency. (tastes like chicken)

S

stefen

Rando said:
I compiled this list a few years ago of the first 100 things to disappear in an emergency, it's pretty much unchanged:

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can" survival kits
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kits
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattresses
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

I forgot to add: there is a product known as fishmox or fishbiotic. It is the EXACT same thing as FDA approved Amoxicillin. It comes in 250 and 500 mg capsules.
It can be obtained (for your fish of course) without prescriptions.
Of course, i would never recommend using this since it is against the law to use it without a prescription, but in a life or death scenario it can be used.

Buy 2 of everything and send me your address

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Rando said:
Shortstack said:
Dammmmmn, Rando. How many locks do you have on your doors? Are your windows barred? How about some boobytraps in the yard?

During Katrina, we were without power for almost 7 days; and half that time without city water. We did have natural gas, but a few pieces of wood would have replaced that for cooking and boiling water, or syphoning a few ounces of gas from my car or truck to put on a couple of hands full of dirt held in a bean can for cooking / boiling. Fixing one food item and NOT a seven course meal, too. And, as a fallback point, the thigh muscle of a looter in a TRUE emergency. (tastes like chicken)

You would NEVER know I had ANYTHING.

And that, in itself is a form of survival. Most of my family, and certainly not my neighbors know about ANY preps I have made.
I live a perfectly normal, comfortable life. you could be in my home many times and not know I could survive for three months and treat damn near ANYTHING that happened.

I don't even tell them about stuff THEY could do unless they ask.

I only write stuff on the internet becasue it's RELATIVELY anonymous.

Look, nobody knows everything, I just encourage people to know as MUCH as they can.

So much for living in the moment, eh?

I'm going to sit crossed leg and contemplate overcoming the 5 afflictions of the mind. There are too many human miseries on this planet. I fear it's due to the person who is not 'fully' aware...we start accepting that which is unreal as real.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando, just out of pure curiosity, how often do you replace the parishables and near perishables in your "kit"?

I noticed "Portable Toilets" on your list, but no toilet PAPER. Are you saving all of your newspapers and magazines? I'll give you a tip. newspapers and magazines make TERRIBLE t.p. Old phone books have thinner pages and make more comfortable "wipes". As a kid, I used outhouses and I know from which I speak. ;D In addition, piles of old papers and cardboard boxes attract cockroaches; especially corrugated cardboard.....roaches LOVE the glue.

Also, didn't see any steel "matches" or "0000" steel wool for starting wet wood to burning. Steel matches work great, but a small wad of 0000 steel wool, shorted out on a flashlight battery is also very good for convincing wet wood to burn. Just remember, it's not necessary to build up a huge fire for cooking; small ones work just a well and conserve fuel.

A couple more things. Do you know that blackpowder rifles are not required to be registered with the government as "regular" guns are? Also, bows and arrows are not registered either. There are crossbows with 80-100 lb pulls for sale on eBay for $100. The cost of long bows is outrageous.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Are you sure you shouldn't have chose Rambo instead of Rando?? :laughing7:

I agree being prepared is better than being unprepared.

That means for natural or manmade disasters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread