38.8 KB · Views: 443
  • dexbaby.gif
    dexbaby.gif
    124.8 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
S

stefen

They originated in Ireland...stand about 36 to 42 inches and cow will max out at 750 lbs and steer or bulls at about 1000 lbs.

Although small, they are not considered miniatures, but full size for the breed...

OP
OP
S

stefen

A heifer or steer will gain about 300 to 350 lbs by time its weened at 6 to 7 months and the heifer will be about 750 lbs at 16 months (breeding age) and the steer will weigh in at 1000 lbs...

Birth weight is around 45 lbs...

OP
OP
S

stefen

Looking for a number of 3-in-one packages as we speak...

Which are pregnant cows with a heifer on the bag...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this for dairy use or beef? Seems like Angus would make better beef cattle. How many you thinkin' of raising on how many acres? Irrigated acres, your acres, permanent pasture? Speak up man!! Cattle Baron title in your future??

OP
OP
S

stefen

packerbacker said:
Is this for dairy use or beef? Seems like Angus would make better beef cattle. How many you thinkin' of raising on how many acres? Irrigated acres, your acres, permanent pasture? Speak up man!! Cattle Baron title in your future??

Actually, both dairy and for market beef. Dexters provide 2 to 3 times combined market weight than std stock for same acreage allocation.

Non-irrigated pastureland located on the Eel River delta near the Port Kenyon Slough, within what is known as the Butter Belt....all dairy's in the delta region are 100% pasture...year round.

Area receives 40+ inches of annual rainfall with an average temperatures ranging between 50 to 67 degrees.

Was raised on a dairy / agri-farm in central Ohio before moving to Dairy Valley in southern California. Now I'm getting back to that lifestyle.

texastee2007

Havn't decided if I will maintain a bull or use AI...will cut all bull calves though. Never had any luck with bulls on the property....in fact, had a Charlia put me in the hospital about 20 years ago...the only time I ever turned my back on an animal...

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
AI does give you a closer estimate of the projected future stock. On site bulls are cheaper. but they're more trouble to have on site, when you consider feeding, vet care, pasture ground.
plus, you'll wind up having to rotate in a new bull about every 3 years
with AI you order what you need, when you need it, and from the line you want JMO

OP
OP
S

stefen

I prefer the brick method in leiu of banding or knife castration...

Generally, I wait until they are drinking then I sneak up and use 2 bricks somewhat like cimbols...really don't hurt...just gotta remember to keep your thumbs outa the way :laughing7:

Old joke but still funny

OP
OP
S

stefen

texastee2007 said:
Sniffer said:
they still bite the ones off lambs

man I don't even like the taste of roast lamb.....puuuuuueeeeee

Are we related?

When we lived in Ohio, my dad and uncle used to brine and can (bottle) lamb and goat...this continued even in California...

All I had to do was walk into the house at dinner time and smell that whafting lovely smell and I would gag and dry heave...

I'd drive into town and have a burger...

My brother has a sheep ranch near Sea Ranch, CA and loves lamb...(we musta come from a different mother and father...swear to God)

OP
OP
S

stefen

Major earthquake today just 22 miles south/southwest...even though the elevation is 50 feet above mean sea level and 2 miles of open pasture land to the ocean, the chance of psunami is slim to none.

ttp://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,281134.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread