Whos Left-Handed?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Who's Left-Handed?

I am mostly right handed but for some strange reason I've always used my metal detector left handed, not sure why it just feels more comfortable. I also shoot a rifle left handed. It got real interesting when I was in army basic training firing the M16 riffle and having those hot brass casings flying out in my face and down my shirt! They don't make left handed M16 rifles!

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Hand Fluke said:
They don't make left handed M16 rifles!

No, Sir, but they do make deflectors.
I'm SO glad that I learned to shoot a rifle right handed by my Daddy. :thumbsup:
(I can "dot a squirrel's eye" at 75 yards with an open sight .22)

I scored as a "Sharpshooter" with an automatic weapon in the Army during Basic Training with an M-16 and an M-60.
(I scored as an "Expert" with hand grenades because they are about the same size as baseballs and I was a pitcher in youth baseball; but, how I freaked out the Drill Sargeant involving "cook down time," by your's truly, Private Skinhead, is a whole 'nother story.....I got a whole different treatment from that day on..... )
("That Boy is crazy...don't piss him off") :laughing7:)

I had some trouble qualifying with the .45 though....A must for officers and MP's.
I was so used to using my right eye to sight a rifle, I naturally tried sighting the automatic with my right eye but I was holding the .45 in my left hand.

It just won't hit the target. :icon_scratch:
Took me two frustrating days to finally figure out what my problem was.
I still was able to qualify on the range as a "Marksman." :dontknow:
(Bet I coulda done better had I known from jump street...)

And yes, I had to have a left handed holster requisitioned from Quartermaster....

Best,
Scott

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only two things you have to remember in life are........

1. Everyone is born right handed. Only the very best of us overcome it.

2. The clinical psychologists have determined that if you're right handed you think in the left hemisphere of the brain, and vice versa for south paws. Goes to show you, ALL us south paws are the only ones in our right minds. :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not left handed but I'm 6'4" in a world that's built for 5 feet tall people,you tall(er) guys know what I'm talking about. :laughing7:

Hogman

Mar 14, 2011

Cool Hand Fluke said:
I am mostly right handed but for some strange reason I've always used my metal detector left handed, not sure why it just feels more comfortable. I also shoot a rifle left handed. It got real interesting when I was in army basic training firing the M16 riffle and having those hot brass casings flying out in my face and down my shirt! They don't make left handed M16 rifles!

Those M16s burned me up on the range. I now have a Stagg Arms left handed AR, it feels weird though.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy said:
I'm not left handed but I'm 6'4" in a world that's built for 5 feet tall people,you tall(er) guys know what I'm talking about. :laughing7:

Wanna compare forehead scars? And I know my mother kept leaving the kitchen cabinets open on purpose. :laughing7:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boogeyman said:
The only two things you have to remember in life are........

1. Everyone is born right handed. Only the very best of us overcome it.

2. The clinical psychologists have determined that if you're right handed you think in the left hemisphere of the brain, and vice versa for south paws. Goes to show you, ALL us south paws are the only ones in our right minds. :laughing7:
:thumbsup:

I'ma lefty.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yesterday I had to think of this thread while I was weedeating. The pullcord for the weedeater is located conveniently for RIGHTHANDERS!! Now I'm getting pi$$ed! >:(

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packerbacker said:
Yesterday I had to think of this thread while I was weedeating. The pullcord for the weedeater is located conveniently for RIGHTHANDERS!! Now I'm getting pi$$ed! >:(

Although left handers are increasing in numbers due to the loss of stigma attached, you'd think that more products would be designed for ambidextrous use.... :dontknow:

You will find yourself thinking of this thread on a daily basis, as do I if you're left handed. Hopefully enough righties will think about it also who may be a designer of consumer goods. :icon_sunny:

Best Wishes,
Scott

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just looked at some old file cabinets in my office. The little latch button to release the drawer latch is on the left side of the handle to be released with the thumb of your RIGHT hand so you can open the drawer!
The blade for the paper cutter is on the RIGHT!
The button to push to take a pic with my digital camera is on the RIGHT!
The slide on my phone list that takes you to different pages (A to Z) is on the RIGHT!
The handle for the zipper on my jacket is on the RIGHT!
When facing a female, and undoing her normal style bra, it's much more convenient to use your RIGHT hand and thumb to get the thing unfastened.
Can I insist on using left hands at the arm wrestling championship?
If I had any class I'd take the knife that is supposed to be properly placed on the right side of my plate, pick up my fork from the left side of the plate, stick the fork in my steak, cut the meat with my RIGHT hand, then put the knife down, put the fork with the cut meat on it in my RIGHT hand and then eat it!
I'm feeling faint. :P

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packerbacker said:
I just looked at some old file cabinets in my office. The little latch button to release the drawer latch is on the left side of the handle to be released with the thumb of your RIGHT hand so you can open the drawer!
The button to push to take a pic with my digital camera is on the RIGHT!
The slide on my phone list that takes you to different pages (A to Z) is on the RIGHT!
The handle for the zipper on my jacket is on the RIGHT!
When facing a female, and undoing her normal style bra, it's much more convenient to use your RIGHT hand and thumb to get the thing unfastened.
Can I insist on using left hands at the arm wrestling championship?
If I had any class I'd take the knife that is supposed to be properly placed on the right side of my plate, pick up my fork from the left side of the plate, stick the fork in my steak, cut the meat with my RIGHT hand, then put the knife down, put the fork with the cut meat on it in my RIGHT hand and then eat it!
I'm feeling faint. :P

Yeah, I know how it is.

What commercial on TV has the drug that we need for this kind of stress? (check with your doctor first...)

Oh, wait.
No, Sir. I don't need any "drugs" to deal with LIFE! I can adapt! :thumbsup:
(and be wiser for that ability)

Best,
Scott

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packerbacker said:

Print up some stickers saying "Support left handers rights!" Turn all the file cabinet drawers upside down so the button is on the right, and put a sticker on each drawer. Turn the paper cutter upside down so the blade is on the left, put a sticker on it. ;D :tongue3: ::) ::) ::)

OR Google up left hand stores. There's a store in California that used to send me catalogs of goodies for south paws. I can't recall the name of it. (not enough :coffee2:) If you want to really freak em out, buy the left handed paper cutter & replace the one at your work ;D

A friend of mine that was a facilities Manager had the maintenance guys reverse the Sloan valves on the urinals in the restrooms in an addition to the plant. I thought he was BS'n me until I visited the plant & saw for my self the restrooms in the new addition had left handed urinals. Believe it or not he was bummed because no one even noticed :icon_scratch: Not even the engineers ::)

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Scot, your comment about adapting got me thinking about the times I've adapted. Never really thought about it before, but that must be why I use my right hand almost as much. It was easier to just adapt then rebuild/rearrange everything. I'm pretty sure that moves us up a notch on the evolution scale :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

naturegirl said:
Scot, your comment about adapting got me thinking about the times I've adapted. Never really thought about it before, but that must be why I use my right hand almost as much. It was easier to just adapt then rebuild/rearrange everything. I'm pretty sure that moves us up a notch on the evolution scale :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

You aren't adapting, you're becoming more versatile! ie: more valuable.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm lefty. My biggest problem is can-openers.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys, we are being forced to zip our pants up and down with our RIGHT hand because the flap that covers the zipper is on the left. In court we are told to raise our RIGHT hand.....why's that? Why can't I raise my left? We shake hands with our RIGHT hand; why's that? The credit card slot and instructions for it's use at a gas pump is designed for RIGHTHANDERS! The throttle on the motorcycle is on the RIGHT. Can you righthanded bikers imagine laying your bike sideways going into a turn and trying to get precise throttle control with your LEFT hand? Any leather or bead work on a belt is upside down if a lefthander were to insert the belt into his/her pants on the right side of their body. Wired telephones, whether they be the old rotary dial or pushbutton, usually have the receiver installed on the left side. That way the user can pick up the phone with their left hand and dial or push buttons with their RIGHT. Scuba diving regulators are designed so that the air hose is retrieved from the right and inserted into your mouth with your RIGHT hand and your extra regulator, if needed, is retrieved from the right side. How come we salute with our RIGHT hand and hold our RIGHT hand over our hearts? Some electric wheelchairs can have the joystick mounted on either side but most have it on the RIGHT.
THIS was the beginnings of a cruel mistreatment by society folks! :'(

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 133

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think a lot of the things like shaking hands etc. came from the old old days. If you were shaking with your right you couldn't draw your sword / gun.

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON

boogeyman said:
I think a lot of the things like shaking hands etc. came from the old old days. If you were shaking with your right you couldn't draw your sword / gun.
But some of the tribes in southern Africa made trust a bigger thing - their handshake was/is left, which means you had to put down your shield!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread