im sick and tired of the parks department around here

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
every time i ask for permission to detect a park in the area i either get the runaround of " call when you want to go" and then no time is ever appropriate, or nasty responses like this one i just got. here is the mail i sent to them..............

Hi! its Keith ########## again with a few questions regarding my hobby of metal detecting in one of the county parks. Recently it was brought to my attention that the property at Grubb Rd and Andys Ln (Jester Park) was indeed a park, and also that it had an old house on it that would be interesting to look around with my metal detector. upon further research, I found that Jester Park is a "passive" park? What exactly does that mean? The property doesn't look much like a park, and I was curious to find out a little more about it. Also, if it is a public park, would it be ok if my brother and I looked around the yard with our metal detectors some morning? Of course, as always, we would fill any small holes we might dig and would do no damage to the grass or the property. We were interested in going during the morning hours on any weekend that the park would be available. Thank you in advance for your help, and I am looking forward to your reply.

this is the short RUDE reply........

The answer is NO. The fields are leased to a Dairy Farm with cows! The old building is dangerous and we do not want anyone up there.

that was it.
every time i contact this person i get a short rude response.i see no reason why my request would warrant a shouted NO response. a simple explanation would have done. im so angry i want to write her back a nasty response of my own. (but then i would really get no where fast) >:( im sick and tired of this county treating me like im some kind of a whipping boy or a criminal. does this s#$%^ happen to you guys as well?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would really piss me off too. I would have to write them back and politely tell them what a rude, incompetent, worthless piece of trash they were. You pay taxes and have rights. I bet the person doesn't even have the authority to make the decision.

TBGO

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Hollow,

why not post an e-mail address where we
can get in touch with THEM. ;D

have a good un................

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Came across this two days ago.

have a good un..............

Attachments

• bi sign (Small).JPG
    bi sign (Small).JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 509
P

PostFatal

the field is leased to a Dairy Farm with cows but has a building that is considered dangerous. I hope the building is posted in a language that the cows can understand. I can understand that they would be concerned with a hole breaking the cows legs but that just shows that they do not understand that we fill all holes. if they are really concerned for the cows safety then perhaps they should fence off the dangerous building (of course they would have to explaine that to the taxpayers)

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
PostFatal said:
the field is leased to a Dairy Farm with cows but has a building that is considered dangerous. I hope the building is posted in a language that the cows can understand. I can understand that they would be concerned with a hole breaking the cows legs but that just shows that they do not understand that we fill all holes. if they are really concerned for the cows safety then perhaps they should fence off the dangerous building (of course they would have to explaine that to the taxpayers)

thats just it post.........the building is fenced off from the fields. i also should add that this dangerous building is in better condition than the building i live in! it looks like the farmer moved out yesterday. i also said nothing about going in the house or the field. i wouldnt be so mad, except that this is the 4th or 5th crappy response i have gotten from this woman. the least she could have done was answer all of my questions! she doesnt need to treat me with an attitude. this is why a lot of people dont ask permission and go through the proper channels when it comes to being on private property. you would think she would appreciate the fact that we want to go about things in the proper manner..........i guess not ???......also nowhere is the property marked "no trespassing" .........after all ............it is a park listed on thier list of parks. ???

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nowhere in the New Castle county parks and recreation municipal codes do I find ANY laws prohibiting the use of metal detectors in the counties parks.Email her back and tell her (don't ask) that you need to see the county and/or city ordinance that prohibits you from practicing your hobby of metal detecting in a county/city park.The only one that concerns me is sec,24.01.009 damaging property/dumping rubbish.It's pretty wide open for interpretation and could be construed or manipulated in a way to favor them. Here's the link to your county codes:http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=8&pid=11287.Scroll down to chapter 24 on the left side column.And yes it is listed as a county park.Jester property,32.3 acres of open space Grubb rd. and Andys ln.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
this stuff pisses me off to no end! thanks dig for the excellent research. from now on im done asking her. if its a county park im hitting it. how can she say with a straight face that they "dont want anyone up there" and list it as a county park? there is no fence or no "no trespassing signs". this is ridiculous and is obviously a personal vendetta against me, for what reason i cant understand. ???

O

Ole Mole

CaptainZossima said:
Find out where the money is going. I bet into some local officials pocket. Get a local newspaper reporter on it.

Good Luck!

Cap Z.
I think that I would go on down to the office and request to speak with her boss. After all she works for you the taxpayer and she is part of Public relations. Getting the local newspaper involved is a great idea and one that could be used to your advantage. Who knows how many other people this lady has treated in the same manner. Our local town newspaper has what they call "The Peoples Forum" where readers can send in their gripes or praises. If your local paper has something like that I think that if I were you I would be using that as a tool to sound off about the treatment that you have received from this public department. There is no reason to be treated like this and I would not have taken that from her o anyone after the second such rude response.

Get back at the old hag ;D and don't let her treat you or anyone else like that.

God luck and remember she works for you.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
this stuff pisses me off to no end! thanks dig for the excellent research. from now on im done asking her. if its a county park im hitting it. how can she say with a straight face that they "dont want anyone up there" and list it as a county park? there is no fence or no "no trespassing signs". this is ridiculous and is obviously a personal vendetta against me, for what reason i cant understand. ???
the obvious they are sitting on it for someone else they know... ;)

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that makes me mad just reading it. Some people are just a-holes

O

Ole Mole

CaptainZossima said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vote for Ole Mole for President!!!!!!!!!

CZ
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I will stick to local politics instead. ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hollowpointred said:
this is the short RUDE reply........

The answer is NO. The fields are leased to a Dairy Farm with cows! The old building is dangerous and we do not want anyone up there.

Why not ask permission from the dairy farmer? BCH.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thanks for the support guys. at least i kow now that im not overreacting. i am going to resist the urge to email her back with a nasty response and just not bother to contact her anymore. as dig already posted, there is no ordinance saying you cant detect in county parks and i dont see why i should have to ask every time i want to use the park. no one else does. if i fire back with an angry e-mail, she will be looking for a reason to start s#$% with me every time one of her grounds crews sees me detecting. to quote an old saying, i dont want to "cut off my nose to spite my face". she truely is an "A" hole though. it sucks when you get a bunch of crap for trying to do the right thing. :'(

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollow,

Hopefully everything works out OK for you. I can certainly understand why you would be upset about the response. I hope i don't have that problem anytime soon. Then again i might just be lucky. I started hunting the parks in this area that i recently moved to a few years ago and come to find out the park employees seem to have a problem with losing the padlocks they use to lock up equipment and other things. These padlocks that they seem to have a large supply of keys for but a shortage on locks give a very good signal to my metal detector. They seem to be quite happy when the see me headed their way carrying yet another of their locks that I've dug up. I've returned at least a dozen of these in the last 2 yrs alone. Now whenever i see a park employee they may stop and chat for a bit and even give tips on where i may be able to find coins based on recent activities in the park but never do they give me any trouble.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Hope you find many items at that park.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i would find out who the farmer the park is leased to and ask permission from him...... if he has the land leased then he has the authority to give you permission or not

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thanks dig! yeah i know. kinda wierd leasing out a public place and then in essence selling a house that sits in the park. hell........the park department lady told me im not even allowed in this park :D. what the hell is that all about?! ive never heard of a public park that isnt open to the public! friggin politics. :P thanks for doin all of the legwork youve been doin. i had some of the stuff, but some of it i didnt. your a whiz with the research! i owe you one! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread