Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out to get the newspaper early yesterday morning and discovered that something had nearly torn down one of my 6'gates of my stockade fence around my back yard. I had a steel rod sunk into concrete on the back of the gate that prevented whatever it was from getting in but I am still puzzled at what could have done it. I am thinking most likely a large domestic dog, but he was a tough one if it was. There was chew marks along the bottom corner where large fang like teeth had gnawed on it and finally broke off a large sliver of the wooden slat. The ground was covered with all kinds of small wooden debris from the chew marks. The gate was pulled away from the corner post at the top to where it was made to sag in the middle where the steel rod is located. I could see several large pug marks in the mud but they were on top of each other and I couldn't tell where one ended and another began, but they were large, about what I would expect from a great dane or other large dog. But I have nothing in my back yard that would attract a predator or a hungry dog, no food or water, etc at all. So, I don't know what would attract an animal to do that much damage trying to get in. I know it wasn't human for a man would merely lift the latch and raise the steel rod and swing it open. Not more than six weeks ago someone in a neighborhood across town captured a mountain lion in a tree in a back yard and that got me to thinking. But a mountain lion would have no trouble leaping atop and then over the fence. Meanwhile I won't let my little dog Digsy out in the yard after dark. Oh and I have on occasion heard coyotes off in the distance just before dark in the morning, but I haven't a clue why a coyote would want into my yard as they are scavengers. Hmmmm......any ideas? Monty

Attachments

• DSC01813.JPG
    DSC01813.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 176

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What kind of beast could it be?

Do ya'll have beavers in Oklahoma? :icon_scratch: Big beavers maybe? :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Sounds more like a black bear . Ain't nothing sacred to them .
Jim

K

Kentucky Kache

Do you have bears?

K

Kentucky Kache

truckinbutch said:
Sounds more like a black bear . Ain't nothing sacred to them .
Jim

Doggone it, truckinbutch, you beat me to it. ;D

F

Felinepeachy

Sounds like a big dog chased a cat or other smaller critter that escaped into your backyard.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Mountain Lion was the first thing I thought of too, Monty. But can't think of why would attack a fence, it could just jump over couldn't it? I'd sure be on the look out for a big dog too, dogs will chew up wood. Doesn't seem like coyote behavior does it? Did you have a squirrel in the yard taunting a predator? :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

No harm , no foul , KK . there was only a mouse click difference :laughing9:

K

Kentucky Kache

truckinbutch said:
No harm , no foul , KK . there was only a mouse click difference :laughing9:

Them thar bars can be purty bad, from what I hear.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've lived here most of my life an there's never been a bear seen in this area of the state. But then I never saw a mountain lion either! I think there is an old rabbit around here that runs the yards at night. Perhaps you are right about something chasing a critter into my yard? Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good guesses from most of you, but you're all wrong... :laughing7:

Monty, maybe you should have been a kinder and gentler soul to those squirrels you have been picking over the years. I'm quite confident that you are facing one squirrel on steroids.. That's right, a squirrel decided to juice up and get some bulk to get back at you. Maybe now you'll look at them in a different light :laughing7:

Only thing now is how do you make peace with this monster :dontknow: :laughing9:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texastee2007 said:
It's the ghosts of all the squirrels you have sent to squirrel heaven...LOL They are circling the fort.
Come' on textee, let's go a hunten! I'll blither and blather proudly right besides ya, the whole way!
What'll ya think we'll catch? From all the wood gnawing, I'm still bettin beaver! LOL! :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now, THAT'S a big beaver! :laughing7:
Hunting trip may be a do-able. The mule, I mean, the hubby, gonna be in NE Oklahoma, bout, 40 miles s of Joplin, I think,(ain't got the exacts yet). Be out there a few months. I thought he was going back to Venice La, I was gonna hafta go, to haul fish back home!
Hog sounds good too!

Nutria?, Is that like a tapar or capeebarro?? Or a badger maybe, there ya go, badger!
Chew on badger, a little.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

Yup, grab the old shootin irons, lay in wait for them and fill them full of silver
thig-a-ma-gigs. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :hello2:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Monty, did your critter ever come back last night? :icon_scratch:

He's probably waiting for you to repair eveything, then he'll come tear it up again! :laughing7:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Don't worry Monty, they say these only run about 60 lbs. average. Things only get a bit sticky when you have a half dozen or so trying to get you which seems to be your case.

Attachments

• Monty.jpg
    Monty.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 269

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting