Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
How's This For Nostalgia?

How's This For Nostalgia?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. and they did it!

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends?
and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a... '?

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

.as well as summers filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops, and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, 'Yeah, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a Double Dog Dare to pass it on. To remember what a Double Dog Dare is, read on And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Howdy Doody, The Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow knows, Nellie Bell , Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

How Many Of These Do You Remember?
Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.

Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.

Newsreels before the movie.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Yukon 2-601) Party lines.

Peashooters.

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records.

78 RPM records!

Green Stamps.

Mimeograph paper.

The Fort Apache Play Set.

Do You Remember a Time When.

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do Over!'?
'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching The Fireflies Could Happily Occupy An Entire Evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a Slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have Lived!!!!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their 'Grown-Up' Life.

I Double-Dog-Dare-Ya!

(If you wanna see the pic's pm your email addy and I'll forward it to ya)

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: How's This For Nostalgia?

Don't leave out Heckle&Jeckel was one of my favorites,Sky King too!!!!!!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the nastiest memories I can dredge up is the old aspirin's didn't have any coating and pretty much exploded once they hit your mouth... Took several sips of soda, or a good piece of candy to get the horrid taste from your mouth :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember Barbara P's phone number from 1963. It was BE (Beverly) 56741. I also remember Barbara!

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

Getting up to turn the tv on and to adjust volume and of course the fine tune method of tv reception.. wiggle the rabbit ears. You know you are getting older if you remember why they call the remote a clicker lol. My son asked me once how could you have a remote with no batteries ?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can remember most of these things. Technology killed it, killed it all. :( :( :(

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

I'm 35 and I remember most of those things. This modern era sucks. It's all iPods and crap on TV like American Idol. Everything we buy is manufactured by Chi-Com slave labor and breaks after 3 days. It's a digital disposable society - just a bunch of ones and zeros and cheap plastic garbage.

Post WWII America was the pinnacle of modern civilization IMO. Everything was made of metal. Men wore suits and hats and could drink a glass of scotch with their clients in the office. Husbands could earn enough $$$ that the wife could stay home and raise the family. The atomic age was in full swing and Americans were reaching for the stars with the space program. Astronauts were like rock stars. Now no one can even name a current astronaut (unless their wife was the victim of an assassination attempt), the Space Shuttle has flown its last mission, and NASA's new goal is to make Muslims "feel good".

The future is now and it totally blows.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember all that stuff and am glad some of that stuff is gone, really. I remember when we bought flour in 25 and 50 pound cloth bags and my mom made clothes out of the bags. The bags came printed with different designs for that purpose. I remember bein in the cotton fields and pullin bolls and gettin paid 3 cents a pound for it when I was 5 years old, and paid for my school clothes in first grade. I remember when black folks couldn't come in to the front part of the cafe but had to go to the back door to get somethin to eat. I remember gettin sent home from school because my hair touched my ears. I remember hamburgers 6 for a dollar. Best of all, I remember 'gas wars'. I saw gasoline down to 5 cents a gallon once near Tecumseh, OK. I remember the last row of cotton I hoed, and I used that for inspiration to somehow try to better myself. I did fancy myself as one of the better hoers around though. I like your post. As an afterthought, how many remember 'Carter's Little Liver Pills'?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

by cracky rginn, I think I'm wearing a t-shirt that you picked!! ;D
We weren't well off either but never picked cotton 'cept for a few fun samples. I do remember putting cardboard in my Buster Brown shoes a few times 'cause of the holes in the soles. Also wore US Keds and Redball Jet tennies. Had some penny loafers too.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember allot of those things and I was born in '61,I also remember that all of our clothes were made in the USA,and that Royal Crown cola was THE drink,not Coke or Pepsi,I also remember Jacks and Schlitz beer,also 7-11 used to be on every corner,you could ride your bike all over town without a helmet on or a water bottle,we used to collect bottle caps and matchbooks,we only a black&white T.V. and we only had 1 TV in the house not 5 like I do now. :help:

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I typed out a long response and it got lost. In short form I agree with you all, I was born in '69 but I had to help support the family at 10, I wish I could pass that along!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread